The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Regarding Souls and Soul Gems

Arunei
Arunei
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
So in Skyrim's Dawnguard expansion we were introduced to something called the Soul Cairn. It's been a while since I've played Skyrim, let alone the DG DLC, but iirc when a Soul Gem was used to enchant or charge an item, weren't the souls in those Gems sent to the Soul Cairn? And could a Daedra technically get sent there, or would it return to Oblivion? My Guildies were talking casually the other night and mentioned that the only way to really keep a Daedra from being reforned was to "make a weapon or gear" out of it. Also, what would happen to a soul (particularly a Daedra's) if the Soul Gem it's held in is somehow destroyed? Is the soul destroyed, released, thrown into the Cairn?

The reason I ask is I'm planning a small RP event for one of my Guilds, and this all ties in to a very specific plot point I want to ensure is possible before I go into it. Mostly I'm looking to find out what happens to a Daedra's soul if a) its Soul Gem is used to enchant an item, and b) its Soul Gem is somehow destroyed.
Character List [RP and PvE]:
Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • Frozstee
    Frozstee
    ✭✭✭
    That is a puzzler for sure, I'm unsure with the specifics of how the connection to Oblivion, Daedra and how they effect Soul Gems differently than other souls. This is really interesting though and I'm curious to how it will play out for your guild, as with all things magic/oblivion related there is always a huge scale of "unknown".
    So if a trapped Daedra is in a Soul Gem and we break the Gem, I would imagine it would also destroy the soul that was trapped inside, Daedra or not. There again the insanity of the Princes could have a different effect on destroying a Soul Gem if say you were within their realm. IE you soul trap a Daedra in one of Sheogorath's realms, then proceed to smash the Soul Gem to bits and instead it's a cheese explosion.
    If a trapped soul of a Daedra is used to enchant an item, would it be any different from a normal soul? I always liked to base a trapped Daedra Soul Gem will always remain a bit tainted with the evil/good presence. This could be a really neat jumping point for a RP quest.... what -does- happen?

Good luck with your RP event.
    GT: Frozstee = Xbox - NA =
    "Bright Moons, and Sharp Claws my friends." - Zarum
  • Nichordius
    Nichordius
    ✭✭
    In the EP questline, a giant was protected by a soul ward, and the Ghostfence of Morrowind uses the same power--same as phylacteries--which both are constantly being added to. Clearing the idea of phylacteries, it would make sense that it acts as their aetherius--source of all magic through tethered connections made at births through varying astronomical openings--similar to those born under the atronach, as referenced by Neloth; both of whom (liches, birthsign) share spell absorption. It makes sense that the soul would be consumed--a transfer of energy.--Though I can see deals being made.
    Edited by Nichordius on July 27, 2015 7:57PM