Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

General help please

Kaladinn
Kaladinn
Hi guys,

Pretty new to the game, 5 days in. I am a Templar. I was wondering what the best categories are to use for my skill points. I'm currently level 22 think I've used like 9 to magicka, 4 health, 6 stamina. Then also those subcategories. There's so many areas to utilize the points I don't want to waste them. I will focus on being a heal Templar/ damage Templar. (I think that's what Templars are??) any advice?

Also looking for good gear, but from my understanding so far it seems gears and weapons change per level so investing in them right now may not be the best way for me to spend my resources.

Also I'm looking to join a guild, or is it an alliance? I basically will just grind until my level and gear are good enough for bosses and pvp. If anyone could help me with this that would be sweet.

Thanks in advance for everyone's tips and advice!

Cheers,
Kaladinn
Edited by Kaladinn on July 23, 2015 2:19PM
  • Sandshark95
    Sandshark95
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a few links that might really help you with your build:

http://www.dungeoncrawlernetwork.com/2-0-templar-healer-build/

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/173294/templar-healer-1-6-mandatory-pve-skills

http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/templar-healer-build-103-build-for-patch-1-6/

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/2018853/#Comment_2018853

Personally, if you want to be a Healer/Magicka DPS, I'd recommend spending all of your attribute points on magicka. You'd want mostly Light armor, but for leveling, it's best to wear at least one piece of each armor type. You can invest in the Light armor skill tree for its magicka passives; those passives apply to any light armor you wear, regardless of how often you change your gear. Same goes for weapons: spending skill points in the weapon tree of the weapon you'll be using is a good idea. Use your skill points to buy abilities and passives from your Templar skill trees as well.

Check out those links for build advice; ignore the stuff about "Champion Points" and other endgame things, as that doesn't apply to you. Just look at skills, armor, weapons, and general tips.

Hope that helps :)
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My take on this is only to spend points when I'm struggling without them, but early on I usually end up putting points into Health at first when I'm begging to struggle in fights, then points into one or other of the other pools if I'm running low.

There's no real point sweating it IMO, eventually you may need to respec but the cost is pretty low compared to the amount of gold you should have managed to get by the time you need to do it.

Like all MMOs, there's a lot of theorycrafting (and outright min/maxing) in ESO and a lot of it is very confusing to new players and, frankly, a lot of it is downright counter-productive to those still trying to learn the basics of the game and the classes.

Given your ability to respec for some gold, there is no choice you will make you can't reverse .. except for those choices you've already made with respect to race and class .. so learn by doing, read up by all means but have fun before worrying about 'optimum builds'. :)

You're right about gear 'looks', at present there is no 'costume' feature in the game and none is planned that will utilise 'real' gear (ZOS are being lazy and leveraging the 'disguise' system to also be for cosmetic looks) so there's no point at all in investing in something simply for its looks if you can't buy it without regretting the gold you'll have to lay out.

As for your last question, you re indeed looking to join a guild; in most MMOs these are entirely about people getting together to progress through content, sadly ZOS use guilds as a poor (IMO) alternative to a conventional Auction House where players can buy/sell items so you'll need to ensure you find a guild where members play together as well as (or as opposed to) simply trading with one anotgher.
    Edited by KerinKor on July 23, 2015 2:30PM
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    First off all...
    You don't invest skillpoints in magica, stamina and health, but you invest attribute points in them. They are entirely different.
    (not meaning to slap you on the hand with a stick bout it, but hoping that the correct use of terms helps in understanding the bigger picture).

Having said that I allready see the first "mistake" in the way you have used your attribute points. To explain this a bit of background what each of these do.

Health: more health means that you are harder to kill.
    Stamina: a pool of physical power. It is used to fuel certain skills. It is also used to block, sprint and sneak.. further. The total amount of stamina also influences the total amount of weapon power. This is important cause it decides the amount of damage of all skills and attacks that use stamina.
    Magica: a pool of magical power. It is used to fuel certain skills. The total amount of magica also influences the total amount of spellpower. This is important cause it decides the amount of damage of all skills and attacks that use magica as well as the effectiveness of healingskills using magica.

Due to that weapondamage scales of stamina and spelldamage scales of magica, it is better to not spread your attributs between these two. As you want to be a templar healer/damage dealer. And as most healingskills use magica, I would suggest to choose magica and don't put any points in stamina. Although there are some builds that use both pools (so called hybrids), they are rare and good ones are even more rare.

This does means that you limit yourself to using staves (destruction and/or restoration) classskills and mages guild skills (there are some more pools but these are less relevant for the templar).

The next question likely is how much you should put in magica and how much in health right??
    The amount of health needed is "enough to survive"
    the amount of magica needed is "the more the better".
    So it is obviously that you put less in health then in magica. A good proper balance is max 25% in health and the other 75% in magica.

a last remark is that you can also gain magica and health (and stamina, but as said, dont do that in your case) from other sources like gear, glyphs, food, mundus stones and passives. So this 25% rule is for when you use no other sources of health. If you use e.g. heavy gear (common among templar healers) you likely don't need any point in health.

Now to skillpoints and how to spend them.
    As said, you have chosen for magica. That means you should only use skills that use magica. Allthough it is allowed to have one or two skills that use stamina for support, that is not really needed and it is better to use the base stamina for blocking heavy attacks and sprinting.

Keep in mind that besides fighting skills you also need to use skillpoints for passives, crafting and even to persuade npc's. the good thing is that they are easy to come by. So jsut work to getting your build (the skills) and then slowly spread out over the other options. There are also excellend builds out there on the internet. but personally I would use them for inspiration, and not to copy them one one one

But I'm afraid to make mistakes.. You allready said, I did something wrong with my attrbutes!!??
    Do not dispair. there is no going wrong.
    There is a thing called min/maxing. That means trying to get an optimum build. This is impossible in ESO and only a few combinations are totally worthless. Most are very viable and from seeing that you want to be a templar/damage dealer, I can sense you are allready on the right track.

Most important though is that for a small fee you can redistribute your skillpoints and attributepoints to spend again in your alliances capital at the shrines. Your capital is visited in the second main map of your alliance.

And yes. given your questions, I do recommend finding a good guild that you can use to get answers while you play. I know the above is allready a lot to grasp. I would recommend searching in the guildsections of this forum (bottom on this page):

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en

If you happen to be in EU on the PC, feel free to look up my guild listed there ;)
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU