Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PS4 Voice Chat, what's acceptable and what will get me in trouble?

Rioghnan
Rioghnan
✭✭✭
So I've noticed on voice chat it seems to mostly be random conversations from people who apparently don't know the mic is on, and people loudly and repeatedly asking inane questions. The latest one was "Five thousand for a werewolf bite!" Over and over for like an hour. I know I can turn off voice chat but I feel like people like that just ruin the whole experience. I wanted to tell the guy to shut his pie hole but would that get me into some kind of trouble?
You die first!
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    simply don't
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• Rioghnan
    Rioghnan
    ✭✭✭
    Or how about if me and my friends are playing and we drop a few f-bombs. How about that. Do we have to watch our language on voice chat? I just want to know. I don't intend to be cruel to anyone or really horrible but I want to know how many people are going to be like OMG somebody said bad words!! Or if we rage one another are people all nosy and they're going to report us for being mean even if it's not to them. Because we are quite vicious to each other. I mean we're just having a laugh but I wonder.
    Edited by Rioghnan on July 23, 2015 12:43AM
    You die first!
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's different, the chances of voice chat being monitored real time is slim but you can minimise complaints from other players by forming up an in-game group and using group chat instead of area chat

You can even form a PSN voice chat outside the game, even safer.
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• Junglejim82
    Junglejim82
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a short list of what seems OK all of which are true examples I've seen

Racist arguments over ninjad siege weapons during a siege.
    *** poor English grime scene rapping over a track
    Blasting akon down the mic as we charge a keep (hardly ride of the Valkyrie)
    Homophobic slurs. Yknow the f word sounds like maggot
    C u next Tuesday is a regular in pvp
    General raging down the mic
    Peoples better halves screaming at them to get off the game.
    My favorite though was getting to hear bloodcurdling interference.

Ain't area voice chat just the bestest thing ever . Incidentally area voice was undoubtedly the least used channel in my previous mmo. Here it's the crown jewel. Curious
    Jungleim
    Stamblade extrordinaire (for now)
    Mass Terror /elders of anarchy ps4 e.u
    Daggerfalls finest

Always looking for serious pvpers not afraid to mic up. See below
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/181697/massterror-ps4-eu-daggerfall-are-recruiting#latest
  • Rioghnan
    Rioghnan
    ✭✭✭
    HAHAHAHHAA! I've heard the wife yelling at her old man to get off the game! I heard a woman screaming at her kids as well. And someone talking about what's for dinner. It's like they don't know it's on. And it's pretty hilarious but it does ruin the role playing part, you don't feel like you're in Auridon anymore...

It's good to know you've heard these things and they're not being immediately reported. I don't plan to be racist but my friends and I do call one another unsavoury names all the time and the last thing I want is to be tattled on for it. Some games you can trash talk all night and no one cares and some there's a lot of 10 year olds on or something and they will rat on you for it. Oh yea and the music bit, we won't do that. I hate that one.
    Edited by Rioghnan on July 23, 2015 1:03AM
    You die first!
  • JJBaboon
    JJBaboon
    ✭✭
    Area chat is useless anyways. Just mute it. Unless your specifically looking to socialize, it's easier to keep it off and save yourself the trouble of listening to open mic night backed by Internet anonymity. The things people think and say when they are anonymous is truly disturbing.

My suggestion is if you want to talk to someone join a group, join a guild, or find friends on forums or through other mediums with likeminded attitudes and goals. Conversations are much better when it's not about the random garbage people spout off, or playing what they call music on their mic while they are not even speaking or listening (proof positive that the M rating only applies to age, not mental status).
  • Artfuldodger
    Artfuldodger
    ✭✭✭
    Rioghnan wrote: »
    So I've noticed on voice chat it seems to mostly be random conversations from people who apparently don't know the mic is on, and people loudly and repeatedly asking inane questions. The latest one was "Five thousand for a werewolf bite!" Over and over for like an hour. I know I can turn off voice chat but I feel like people like that just ruin the whole experience. I wanted to tell the guy to shut his pie hole but would that get me into some kind of trouble?

If you are not already aware, you can mute individual players as opposed to leaving the voice chat area.

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
    -Johnny Depp