The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

A Broken Star

zedich
zedich
Liedae Runewood was used to unusual magic. Indeed she had fought against Necromancers, the Undead, Liches, Dremora and even the angry spirits of the long past dead. But the Orb she carried confounded her. Images of her earlier ordeal passed through her mind, the town cradled by Dark and covered in ice. The people there, having been 'infected' by some strange form of magic and turned into horrid monsters and finally the Orb she found encased in a pillar of ice. She held the orb close to her chest, hidden safely in a sack so no one could see what she carried as she entered Wayrest.
"Stop."
She looked up to see a Guard waving her over. She wasn't entirely used to being picked out of a crowd, even with the war it wasn't to uncommon to see Bosmer outside of Grahtwood or kissing Thalmor boots. Liedae gritted her teeth and moved over.
"Appologies milady, random inspection."
She rolled her eyes at that and then pulled back reflexively when the man reached for the sack with the orb. She clutched it to her chest and gave him a "The hell do you think you're doing?" Look.
"What's in the sack?"
"Artifact for the mages guild, have to keep it hidden at all times when not properly warded."
The guard pulled back a step and she could only imagine the look on his face under the helm.
"Right...You're free to go."
"Thank you sir." She gave him a playful wink and trotted into the city.
Liedae wasted no time, she ignored the great deals being shouted by vendors and business owners alike, heading into the city past the bank to the home of the one who hired her. The home was actually a mansion, once belonging to a respected Breton Noble family, the same family her employer was an heir to. House crests on flags hung from the windows, pitch black background with a golden star in the middle, red was used as an embroidery and almost looked as if the star was in the process of blowing itself up with a single black scar running down the middle of the star and red surrounding it. A guard at the door wore a tabard of the same design. She handed him the letter she had been given and after reading it he opened the door. Again she wasted no time in making her way to her destination. Maids did not pause in their work and guards stood firm on either side of the door she needed to get into. One guard knocked and a female voice answered.
"Let her in."
Liedae felt a chill run down her spine. How did she know I was here?
She entered when the guard opened the door and did not look back when he closed it, leaving her alone with the last heir to a Breton family.
The woman was only a few feet taller than Liedae, her hair was let free to hang about her shoulders, the copper lengths shimmering in the light of the fireplace that she stood beside. She turned to face Liedae and smiled, her soft green eyes welcoming.
"Liedae. I am glad to see you again." Her eyes drifted down to the sack. "And what is that?"
"I found it, in the town I mean. It seemed to be the source of all the trouble." Liedae reached into the sack and pulled out the pure white orb, it still glowed ever so faintly.
The womans' eyes widened slightly and she moved forward to take it. Liedae pulled it back. "Careful, when I touched it I was overcome with some sort of vision...I still don't understand what it means."
The woman looked at Liedae and nodded. "Thank you for the warning." She reached out for it again and Liedae let her have it. The womans' hands clenched around the orb as Liedaes' had when she first touched it and she knew that the woman was seeing the images. The images of a peaceful cottage on a hill, surrounded by green fields and blue skies, the sounds of children laughing and a mother humming a lullaby. The woman took in a deep breath and placed the orb onto a chair. "It's a memory." She said, a smile on her face.
"A memory?" Liedae asked.
The woman nodded and gestured towards it. "A fragment of someones' past, a happy memory. Could you not feel the sense of warmth and belonging within it?"
Liedae looked to the side, slightly embaressed that this woman had figured it out when she hadn't. "Why would this 'happy' memory be the cause of what happened in that town?"
The woman looked at the orb and her gaze became distant. "I don't know, but I think we should find out. What happened in that town could happen again, and I have a sense that this memory is only a piece of many more. If you like, I would like you hire you again, and perhaps have you consider a long-term agreement."
Liedae raised a brow, the gold she had been promised for this one job alone was enough to make her comfortable for a week, the thought of more income was enticing. "I would be interested...but forgive me for asking, you never gave me your name the last time we spoke, and it wasn't signed on the letter. I'd like to know who I'm working for."
The woman nodded and placed the sack over the orb.
"My name is Kyranta, and I invite you to join my Broken Star."

((Advertisement for my RP guild <Broken Star>. What I posted above is not perfect, but I liked it enough to share it with people and get the name out there. Broken Star is a RP guild with big plans for the future. Weekly RP events centered around an interactive and ever changing Story, what I mean by that is anyone can influence the story and how it progresses, there is no 'set' ending to it. The story will evolve based on the choices made by those involved. Broken Star will also be host to any and all Story Arcs that people wish to do, character progression is a great way to get more immersed in your character and have others RP with you. Broken Star will also have RP bounties members can pick up and do for guild reputation and gold. These are not 'RP' missions where you go someone and PvE some baddies down. These missions are all custom made and play like an RP encounter with emotes and talking. Though if you wish to RPPvE we are happy to accommodate you. Broken Star will also host a Crucible, members can compete against one another in tournaments for guild prestige, gold and rare items! (Though my reward system is better than Destinys' Crucible I swear...RNG ftw!) Please send a mail to @Zedich on DC if you are interested in joining. Thank you all for taking the time to read this post.))