Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Differences between DW and Two hand?

oneshot_onekill
I know there are other posts that are some what similar to this, but they were more specific and didn't really answer my question. I obviously can read the skills, but I can't pin point the different roles they may play. The things i seem to understand are:
1. They both are dps based skills
2. DW seems to have more DOT and two hand more burst damage.
3. Two hand abilities seem to be more consistent (all focused on straight damage, none are too different from each other) while the last two abilities of DW (blade cloak and hidden blade) seem to completely change direction, with the former being utility and the latter being a range attack.

What do you think the play styles of the two are? How would you use them differently, and do you think one is better than the other? Are there any real differences to the two or are they basically the same? Thanks
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot give you too much of an explanation, as a magicka-using templar with a restoration and destruction staff, but what I can tell you is that two-handed weapons seems to hurt for a lot more when fighting in Cyrodiil. Their burst-damage seems to be amazingly high. Perhaps you can glean some insight from that.

Having only really dabbled in dual-wielding and never really used a two-handed weapon at all I can't say much more than that with confidence.
    Edited by Rev Rielle on July 21, 2015 10:10AM
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you think the play styles of the two are?
    Having tied 2H, I felt the speed was too slow for my taste. Yes, there is more damage, but the trade-off to agility wasn't worth it to me. As a DW now, agility plays a key part in my DoT attacks.
    How would you use them differently, and do you think one is better than the other?
    Remember, this is just an opinion, but for me, DW > 2H. While I can't deliver massive damage in a few hits like 2H, I make up for it by having the ability to keep distance from enemy attacks (especially their supers). I cannot, however, give you any insight to PvP as I don't play that type of game.

I would suggest creating a new character, and using the starting island to play around and try them out for yourself. Also, read up on the skills to see which you think would be more suited to how you play.
    Are there any real differences to the two or are they basically the same?
    DW has a faster attack speed than 2H, less damage, and seems to require additional skills to utilize crit damage application (such as shadow).

2H sacrifices speed for damage, but being so close to the enemy may result in health hits. I do not remember if 2H has any health buffs or not, but then again, I see the majority of 2H players wearing heavy armor to make up for that.

• Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    IMHO, a 2H is a main dmg line, that can be supported by class skills (or others), while DW is more a support line (with the exception of steel tornado, that it is the jewel of the line) that helps a main line based on class skills (or others)

You can build a toon using only 2h skills and it will be decent, while a DW will be... let say... clumsy
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dual wield uses 2 weapons.

2H uses 1 weapon.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As some one who uses both I have to say people have it wrong, 2 hand is more a group high damage attack, dual wield is more a solo thing.

The dpead if the 2h attacks and stamina cost can be hard to handle against bosses with high health regen where dual wield with the right set up will tear that boss apart.

2h is way more fun though.
  • Aerathnor
    Aerathnor
    ✭✭
    2h is solid single target dps and rally is one of the best things you can put on your bar when it comes to survivability and damage.

DW is the king of AoE but is really only outshined due to rally. Hidden blade is great for maintaining dps when a boss is doing pbaoe mechanics and steel tornado is incredible aoe. You get an extra slot for set pieces over 2h, a second enchant, and some wonderful passives.

I can't stress enough how good rally is though, add into that 1 shotting mobs from stealth with wrecking blow and 2H just comes out on top for me. Once I pick up vigor and hidden blade gets the damage buff, I may change back to dw, I'll always love it.
  • oneshot_onekill
    Rev Rielle wrote: »
    I cannot give you too much of an explanation, as a magicka-using templar with a restoration and destruction staff, but what I can tell you is that two-handed weapons seems to hurt for a lot more when fighting in Cyrodiil. Their burst-damage seems to be amazingly high. Perhaps you can glean some insight from that.

Having only really dabbled in dual-wielding and never really used a two-handed weapon at all I can't say much more than that with confidence.

Yea I was hoping they were stronger

• oneshot_onekill
    Violynne wrote: »
    What do you think the play styles of the two are?
    Having tied 2H, I felt the speed was too slow for my taste. Yes, there is more damage, but the trade-off to agility wasn't worth it to me. As a DW now, agility plays a key part in my DoT attacks.
    How would you use them differently, and do you think one is better than the other?
    Remember, this is just an opinion, but for me, DW > 2H. While I can't deliver massive damage in a few hits like 2H, I make up for it by having the ability to keep distance from enemy attacks (especially their supers). I cannot, however, give you any insight to PvP as I don't play that type of game.

I would suggest creating a new character, and using the starting island to play around and try them out for yourself. Also, read up on the skills to see which you think would be more suited to how you play.
    Are there any real differences to the two or are they basically the same?
    DW has a faster attack speed than 2H, less damage, and seems to require additional skills to utilize crit damage application (such as shadow).

2H sacrifices speed for damage, but being so close to the enemy may result in health hits. I do not remember if 2H has any health buffs or not, but then again, I see the majority of 2H players wearing heavy armor to make up for that.

Trade off to agility? You mean like With DW you can hit one time if you want really quickly, then run if you need to, but with 2h you can't really hit one time "quickly"?

Based on what you said, would there ever be a situation where you would use both? One for each weapon slot? Maybe DW for agility and DOT and 2h for a finisher?

yodased wrote: »
    Dual wield uses 2 weapons.

2H uses 1 weapon.

I figured that much LOL....

Aerathnor wrote: »
    2h is solid single target dps and rally is one of the best things you can put on your bar when it comes to survivability and damage.

DW is the king of AoE but is really only outshined due to rally. Hidden blade is great for maintaining dps when a boss is doing pbaoe mechanics and steel tornado is incredible aoe. You get an extra slot for set pieces over 2h, a second enchant, and some wonderful passives.

I can't stress enough how good rally is though, add into that 1 shotting mobs from stealth with wrecking blow and 2H just comes out on top for me. Once I pick up vigor and hidden blade gets the damage buff, I may change back to dw, I'll always love it.

Well 2h has two AOE abilities, cleave and forceful, and if I recall correctly dual wield only aoe move is whirlwind (steel tornado) so how is dw king of aoe? The extra enchantments for dw is nice.and that is a good way to use the hidden blade.

• Aerathnor
    Aerathnor
    ✭✭
    Steel Tornado (Whirlwind morph) is the best stam based AoE, 2h's AoE's are weaker by comparison. With the DW passives especially, as the group you're fighting gets less health, your AoE does more damage.
  • Junglejim82
    Junglejim82
    ✭✭✭
    Dw has better aoe , gives a slot for a gear set , has range . 2h though has rally to self heal, executioner that makes any 2h skill an execute while slotted , passives give 30% stam Regen after a kill. I'm using a 2h mace which ignores 20% armour with passives. I prefer dw pve and 2h pvp. Too bad respecing is so expensive. I'm a stam nb so 2h just fits much better . As a vr3 without rally in pvp I'm toast ( until I get vigor )
    Jungleim
    Stamblade extrordinaire (for now)
    Mass Terror /elders of anarchy ps4 e.u
    Daggerfalls finest

Always looking for serious pvpers not afraid to mic up. See below
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/181697/massterror-ps4-eu-daggerfall-are-recruiting#latest
  • oneshot_onekill
    Okay so I will definitely try using both for each weapon set, and if I don't like one I'll just switch it out