The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Noob needs some answers before starting PvP for first time

Destroyah380
I'm a VR 1 character in the EP alliance on X1 NA server, finished campaign & all the PvE quests. I want to try PvP but I'm confused on a few matters & I feel like I'm the only person in the entire world who's ever wondered this since I haven't found anyone else asking some of these questions or they didn't provide a clear & straightforward answer to these questions. So far what I'm aware of is how the campaigns are basically separate servers, that "battle level" is for balancing fighting between lower & higher levels, that some campaigns are for vet ranks & non vets, but what I want to know exactly is:

1. What are the differences in campaigns besides the obvious like which alliance has more control of, which one has more vet rank ppl, which ones are more populated. For example, why are some named after daedric artifacts like Azura's Star & the Skull of Corruption? Is it nothing more than a name or is it because they're rewards for completing those campaigns?

2. How do I complete these campaigns? Is it like completing a faction area's main quests like as in doing all the important quests in Windhelm for instance or is it shorter & less complicated than that?

3. What loot can I get from PvP that i can't get in PvE at all or at least as easy? Are there materials or gear that show up in PvP more commonly?

4. How much of Cyrodiil can I explore when joining a campaign? Am I locked to a certain area depending on the campaign & my alliance or can I just try going wherever I want while avoiding enemy forts & camps?

I appreciate any helpful & useful answers anyone has for me
  • Constantly1Shot
    Constantly1Shot
    Soul Shriven
    1. No u do not get a reward based on the name of your campaign. As far as i can tell from my extensive pvp gaming, there is no difference other then what you have already stated about the campaigns.

2. There are different types of campaigns that last for a different amount of time. For example you can participate in a 5 day campaign. The purpose of this campaign is to accumulate as many points for your faction as possible before the 5 days is up. You can do this buy capturing resources(farms, mills, etc.) and keeps. Also i believe if your faction controls more elder scrolls that will play a factor in your over all points. What ever faction has the most points at the end of the campaign time wins the campaign.

3. There are a number of sets that you can only get while playing pvp but not by looting. Just by playing pvp the "general" will send you random rewards through the mail box. The higher the lvl you are and the higher your alliance rank is the better chance you have of getting good gear. You can also spend alliance points at vendors to receive items that will give you a random weapon/armor with a chance of them being set piece.

4. As of right now you can go every where in cyrodil except for the very middle where the white gold tower is. New dlc is going to be launching i believe in September which will make this area excess-able as long as you control all 6 of your factions forts. You can even go into areas not controlled by your faction although it is not recommended as there will be a multitude of enemies.
  • JJBaboon
    JJBaboon
    ✭✭
    1. Each campaign lasts for a different amount of time (7 days, 30 days, etc) and during this time frame you amass points that put you on the leader board of that campaign (this only applies to your campaign that is set to "home"). At the end of that time you will receive rewards based on your overall rank in that campaign. The campaign names are just names.

2. See number 1. At the end of each campaigns time, it starts over again. Nothing to complete, just the beginning of a new campaign each period of time.

3. Materials (gathered) are the highest VR ranks for each type (voidstone ore, void bloom, etc). Loot is based on points gained and leaderboard position at the end of a campaign. There is mobs and public dungeons in Cyrodiil as well that drop fairly standard loot. The alliance points you gain can be used to purchase gear from vendors located in the home keeps of your alliance.

4. Cyrodill is open. The only areas restricted are the home keeps of the enemy alliances, and the area surrounding them which is barred by a gate which can be opened by controlling certain keeps. While the home keeps cannot be attacked or taken, the area around them contains temples which can hold Elder Scrolls, which alliance can take from each other for bonuses and bragging rights.

I'm sure I missed stuff for someone else to fill in. Too late to be attentive. Good luck and have fun.