Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New templar in need of help [pvp]

Rhaegar75
Rhaegar75
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello all,
I played a Templar /paladin class in most MMORPGs and I can't deny that I'd like to do the same in ESO. However given that my focus is going to be PVP I've been really put off by all the various stuff that I'm reading on Templars: it seems a clunky, no escape poor damage class... and yet I'd like to play one.
First of all is it really that bad?
My idea is to have heavy armour sword and board character with a couple of decent healing skills, is that viable at all? Could anyone suggest some guides or builds?
Thank you
  • DXCortEX
    DXCortEX
    ✭✭
    I've read some of that stuff too and i'm not sure i get it. Mind you, this is one of the only MMORPGs i've played, but i use a templar with sword and board in PvP and i thought it was great. Obviously, i was always in a rather large group with good comms and have yet to get on a Non Vet campaign, so maybe it has something to do with it. There's a couple times the healing has saved me from gankers, but i use them as group support only when we take a keep.
    What i've seen recommended is to have the sword and board and have a restoration staff on swap, with matching abilities. Personally, i believe there are enough ways to play PvP that you should just go with what you want to be playing. It's tedious to play a class you don't actually like or don't want to use most of the time.
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    First of all...
    I've never played WoW, but I have played various other MMO's. The worse thing you can do is trying to compare classes. Templar has nothing to do with paladin, just as ESO has nothing to do with WoW. I've seen so many times people making a mistake by approaching a new MMO (new for fthem) as an existing one.

Sword and board combines badly with healing skills.
    A common made mistake in ESO is that people see magica and stamina as only two different pools of mana. But besides being fuel for your skills, the size of the pool is also influencing the amount of spelldamage (magica) and weapondamage (stamina).

Sword and board base dps and sword and board skills scale from stamina. Most healing skills (specially those the templar got access too) are fueled by magica. And yes, healing is increased by the total amount too then.

I goes too far to cover all of the ins and outs of builds and much is learn to play anyways. But being open to the game as being different then other games is the first step.

Classes have much less influence on the game as they have in other mmo's.
    Basically you could say that stamina based builds are class independent. A templar with board and sword and heavy armor using stamina only skills is just as good as e.g. a sorcerer with the same weapon and setup.

Just as a dragonknight (tank/melee dps type class) can be excellent healers using light or heavy armor, magica based skills and a resto-staff.

Class only contributes to the synergy and contrary to other games it is not the starting point in choosing your setup.

The starting point is role. do you want to be DPS and/or Tank, or do you want to be DPS and/or Healer.
    The first should typically be a stamina user and the second a magica user.

Classes can have more or less synergy with roles.
    A very crude and limited classification would be:
    sorcerers are the best dps magica users
    templars are the best healers (magica)
    Nightblades are the best in stealth dps (stamina)
    Dragonknight are the best in tanking and direct dps (stamina).

But this is very limited just cause of the fact that all classes can forfill all roles perfectly well.

As said, I can go on for hours and delve deeper and deeper, but as for the scope of your question. Templars can do perfectly well, jsut like other classes. But please understand the basic principles of the game.

One last advice. As you might be able to read between the lines. min/maxing is nearly impossible in ESO.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Funkopotamus
    Funkopotamus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah ZOS is staunchly against a paladin class being a holy fighter/tank "paladin" class.

The soon people understand that you as a Templar will always be out DPS's/Tanked by other classes the sooner you and I can enjoy playing a Templar the way ZOS wants them to be played.. as a HEALER.

I hate it, but right now it is just the truth. This coming from someone like you that has tanked in just about every MMO worth playing since EQ and AC.. ESO's "Tanking" system is not what people are used to. There are no set classes for tanks. Just about any class can tank all it comes down to is gear.
    With that being said... The incoming patch changing stam and damage from shield I just do not see how Templars can PvP unless they are going stick N clothe and use J beams.
    Edited by Funkopotamus on July 17, 2015 7:39PM
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!" Sallington
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use an all heavy armor Templar healer every day in PVP. It works fine. I have 897 confirmed kills in Vet PVP that think my DPS is just fine too.

• Arbitrator
    Arbitrator
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah ZOS is staunchly against a paladin class being a holy fighter/tank "paladin" class.

The soon people understand that you as a Templar will always be out DPS's/Tanked by other classes the sooner you and I can enjoy playing a Templar the way ZOS wants them to be played.. as a HEALER.

I hate it, but right now it is just the truth. This coming from someone like you that has tanked in just about every MMO worth playing since EQ and AC.. ESO's "Tanking" system is not what people are used to. There are no set classes for tanks. Just about any class can tank all it comes down to is gear.
    With that being said... The incoming patch changing stam and damage from shield I just do not see how Templars can PvP unless they are going stick N clothe and use J beams.

I've posted similar concerns in another thread:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/196012/tanking-and-templar-cc-analysis-looking-for-tips-from-other-players-and-developers-as-well#latest
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thank you all for the messages. I think it's fair to add a bit of context

I've got a VR14 DK which I finished levelling a good 6 months ago before putting TESO on hold. I really liked the tankiness but I really missed some extra healing abilities..........was not keen on healing stick

I came back and I've now managed to get my stamina NB to VR: strong? yes but once again something was missing.

Hence trying to find my 'usual' playstile...the good old dps/healing or tank/healing hybrid. I imagine that I will have to invest most of the points into Magicka. I deally I'd use s+b, 2H or even DW?
    Any tips? any must have skills or information?

• juliank1990erb16_ESO
    well i run a s&b/dw magicka templar with vamp skillline to have a decent escape. its pretty fun to play, i can nuke most enemies in like 2-3 seconds if i hit my combo and have my ult up.

this is the build i play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbhFBFYYfs8

fakin rox
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thank you all for the answers and suggestions.

I have a silly questions: why would a Magick Templar not use a staff seeing that heavy attacks restore magicka?
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhaegar75 wrote: »
    thank you all for the answers and suggestions.

I have a silly questions: why would a Magick Templar not use a staff seeing that heavy attacks restore magicka?

self bump