Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Very new player here

Illuzion0216
Illuzion0216
✭✭
Hi guys, kind of need a lil advice as I just started out 2 days ago. Am not asking for any pvp sort of thing as I need to familiar myself with the game first. As I can see, there are tons of quests in ESO. Thing is are all the side quests compulsory to complete? I just lost track of which quest to start first lol.. or should I just slowly complete them all?
  • Lleksu
    Lleksu
    ✭✭✭
    I usually just do whatever is closest. I use my map to choose active quests, not the quest journal.

That's just my preference though :)
  • NovaMarx
    NovaMarx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No quests are really compulsory, not even the main quests. You can travel to any area without having completed the main quest.
    But I would recommend looking on the map. There you can see where the different quests are located. I usually complete all quests close to one another before moving on. This way I don't have to return to the area again to complete smaller quests.
    The order in which you complete the quests don't really matter, but the story will make more sense if you complete the side quests as you get them instead of returning to them later.

Hope this makes sense :wink:
    "Feet are for walking. Hands are for hitting. Or shaking. Or waving. Sometimes for clapping."
    - M'aiq the Liar
  • Illuzion0216
    Illuzion0216
    ✭✭
    And also, does it matter which Alliance I choose from the start at character creation. Will Alliance choice affect my questing and such?
  • DuroNL
    DuroNL
    You don't need to do them all, but it sure is fun to do them, it helps leveling you up faster and makes sure you usually explore the entire region you are in.

I always make sure i totally complete a region before i move on to the next, so make sure all the icons on your map go from black-white to solid white, if you hover over most of the icons you can see a short description what you have to do to complete it, or what you did when its completed.

You can always check in your Journal the achievements for the region you are in.
    Founder of Daedric Gore, Join us and 140+ members for Chaos! And Xbox an Ambassador
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And also, does it matter which Alliance I choose from the start at character creation. Will Alliance choice affect my questing and such?

Yes, as each Alliance has its own separate zones with different quests and stories. However once you reach Veteran ranks and complete the game's main quest (that one is the same no matter which alliance you are in) you'll be able to visit the other two alliances as well.
    [The Beauty of Tamriel] My collection of ESO screenshots

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In order to "finish" the game you need only complete the main story from the Prophet.

The additional quests are good for gaining XP as you may find you reach some areas underleveled otherwise, however doing all quests risks the issue of being over leveled for some content as well.

Quest break down is something like this.

Main Story - The Prophets quests, access opened up via player level.
    Faction/Zone Story - These are the main quests in each zone which guide you through it and give SP.
    Zone Side Quests - Quests which have no benefit bar story, XP and the "completed" zone achievements.
    Guild Quests - Independent questlines with set levels, should be one part per zone.
    Public Dungeon Quests - Quests located in our around each public dungeon.
    Group Dungeon Quests - Story quest for each 4 player dungeon, there is a quest for normal and VR versions of each, gives a skillpoint on completion.
    Cadwell's Silver/Gold - Zone Story/Side Quests in the other two faction zones for VR content.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Illuzion0216
    Illuzion0216
    ✭✭
    But will Alliance choice be affected in pvp in Cyrodil? Like is there any unbalance if you choose the wrong Alliance?
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But will Alliance choice be affected in pvp in Cyrodil? Like is there any unbalance if you choose the wrong Alliance?

That depends mostly on which campaigns you choose to play on, In regards to EU PC servers
    EP has a higher than normal population (suspected due to Skyrim/Morrowind) and the DC normally has a lower population.

However each of the three factions has a campaign where it's winning or has the most numbers a majority of the time.

You can view the campaign scores/populations on PC here: http://esostats.com/
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Illuzion0216
    Illuzion0216
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the tips and advice all. By the way, do story quests pops up at certain lvl or do you have to complete some quest to activate it?
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tips and advice all. By the way, do story quests pops up at certain lvl or do you have to complete some quest to activate it?

They pop up at certain levels. Each fifth to be precise. So at level 5,10,15,20, etc.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Egg_Death
    Egg_Death
    ✭✭
    I would definitely recommend doing at least all the quests that reward skill points (as per Taurelus' list in this thread). I put off the prophet quests (probably because they make you go back to the first city) until I had 3 of them queued. If I had known they all gave skill points I would have done them ASAP, because I have been starving for skill points lately (enough so that I seeked out every skyshard).
  • Illuzion0216
    Illuzion0216
    ✭✭
    Oh ya, and for the Rededication shrine, there's only a Statue of Mara there. How do I unlock the other statues? Do I uave to complete certain quest or reach a certain lvl? Thanks a bunch guys!
  • Soulsix
    Soulsix
    ✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    In order to "finish" the game you need only complete the main story from the Prophet.

The additional quests are good for gaining XP as you may find you reach some areas underleveled otherwise, however doing all quests risks the issue of being over leveled for some content as well.

Quest break down is something like this.

Main Story - The Prophets quests, access opened up via player level.
    Faction/Zone Story - These are the main quests in each zone which guide you through it and give SP.
    Zone Side Quests - Quests which have no benefit bar story, XP and the "completed" zone achievements.
    Guild Quests - Independent questlines with set levels, should be one part per zone.
    Public Dungeon Quests - Quests located in our around each public dungeon.
    Group Dungeon Quests - Story quest for each 4 player dungeon, there is a quest for normal and VR versions of each, gives a skillpoint on completion.
    Cadwell's Silver/Gold - Zone Story/Side Quests in the other two faction zones for VR content.

NAiled it here, very good insightful info
    Woking Mans Guild, Laid Back Questing And Help - ESG - On ESO NA - To Join Contact SoulSix (Syphiona) OR SS Arogonian

• Soulsix
    Soulsix
    ✭✭
    Oh ya, and for the Rededication shrine, there's only a Statue of Mara there. How do I unlock the other statues? Do I uave to complete certain quest or reach a certain lvl? Thanks a bunch guys!

Heres a link to a great guide friend.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/64941/rededication-shrine-how-to-respec-skills-and-attributes

The Shrine to Akatosh gives you an opportunity to reassign your attribute points
    Shrine to Mara is marriage
    Shrines to Stendarr give you an opportunity to reset either all your skill points or only the points spent on morphs
    Edited by Soulsix on July 18, 2015 10:40PM
    Woking Mans Guild, Laid Back Questing And Help - ESG - On ESO NA - To Join Contact SoulSix (Syphiona) OR SS Arogonian

• Illuzion0216
    Illuzion0216
    ✭✭
    Ahh.. you have to be in the lvl 20 town. Thanks for all the help guys!
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ahh.. you have to be in the lvl 20 town. Thanks for all the help guys!

Just a small remark bout getting there. If you know someone thats allready there, you can team up with him and in the party window choose "travel to player". If you are in the same guild, you dont even have to team up, but jsut go to the guildroster and use the fucntion. I often don't even ask and take my bet to travel to a guildie if they show to be in the right map. In most situations they are close to the main town anyways.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU