Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

When should I start the main storyline?

Lordklinger
I would like some guidance, but please no spoilers. Anytime I play elder scroll games I always leave the main storyline for the end. I finally finished the Daggerfall Cov. questline and just arrived in Coldharbour. I would like to know if I should finish Coldharbour first, then do the main storyline, or if I should do the main story, then Coldharbour quests. Again, please no spoilers, just let me know which one makes more since. Thank you, in advance, for your help.
  • chevalierknight
    chevalierknight
    ✭✭✭
    I would like some guidance, but please no spoilers. Anytime I play elder scroll games I always leave the main storyline for the end. I finally finished the Daggerfall Cov. questline and just arrived in Coldharbour. I would like to know if I should finish Coldharbour first, then do the main storyline, or if I should do the main story, then Coldharbour quests. Again, please no spoilers, just let me know which one makes more since. Thank you, in advance, for your help.

You cant finsh the main quest with out finishing coldharbour anyway
  • Lordklinger
    Awesome. Thank you so much, Chevalier. That settles it. I will save the entire main story for last.
  • Jennifur_Vultee
    Jennifur_Vultee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Start the main story when the Prophet calls you to find the Harborage. He'll call you back every five levels for a new quest so they way its set up is to be played as you level. If you save it until last you'll just get the quests all jumbled one right after the other...the story will make more sense if you do it as you level.
    "Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters." – Albert Einstein

Treat a customer fairly and they will remember you. Treat a customer poorly and they never forget.

Imperial City: Zerg, gank or die.
  • chevalierknight
    chevalierknight
    ✭✭✭
    Start the main story when the Prophet calls you to find the Harborage. He'll call you back every five levels for a new quest so they way its set up is to be played as you level. If you save it until last you'll just get the quests all jumbled one right after the other...the story will make more sense if you do it as you level.

No sorry but this is just wrong... you will only get the next quest after you finish the one before so you cant "jumble them"

Op i didnt do the second quest in the main story till i was v1 i did first quest at 10
    Edited by chevalierknight on July 12, 2015 2:44AM
  • Lordklinger
    While I'm in here, What happens after 50 if I haven't completed everything? Im currently lvl 49 and I still have 2/3 of Coldharbour to finish along with the entire main story. Is it a seamless transition to the Champion levels, or are you stuck at 50 until you finish Coldharbour and the main quests?
  • chevalierknight
    chevalierknight
    ✭✭✭
    While I'm in here, What happens after 50 if I haven't completed everything? Im currently lvl 49 and I still have 2/3 of Coldharbour to finish along with the entire main story. Is it a seamless transition to the Champion levels, or are you stuck at 50 until you finish Coldharbour and the main quests?

You will level to vr1, quests are not level locked
  • Lordklinger
    Awesome! I appreciate it, Chevalier. I tried to search some of these questions, but I was having trouble locating adequate answers.
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm saving all three world, fighters and mages until vet, I consistently outlevel content as I go, and these supposedly scale to your level now, even if they didn't I'd still be a little bit underleveled.
  • chevalierknight
    chevalierknight
    ✭✭✭

You will level to vr1, quests are not level locked
    Ysne58 wrote: »
    I'm saving all three world, fighters and mages until vet, I consistently outlevel content as I go, and these supposedly scale to your level now, even if they didn't I'd still be a little bit underleveled.

Yes they lvl with you even if you picked one up at level ten
  • Jennifur_Vultee
    Jennifur_Vultee
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No sorry but this is just wrong... you will only get the next quest after you finish the one before so you cant "jumble them"

Op i didnt do the second quest in the main story till i was v1 i did first quest at 10

You'll notice I said "all jumbled one right after the other" as in one crammed up against the next, then another and another. I didn't mean mixed up and out of order.

Edited by Jennifur_Vultee on July 12, 2015 7:37AM
    "Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters." – Albert Einstein

Treat a customer fairly and they will remember you. Treat a customer poorly and they never forget.

Imperial City: Zerg, gank or die.
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think there is a structural difference between ESO and the other elder scrolls games when it comes to narratives.

To avoid spoilers I'll use an example from Skyrim.-

In Skyrim, you join the college of Winterhold. follow the first lessons, and directly afterwards you get instructions to go to Saarthal. You got the choice to leave the quest aside for eternity, but either if you pick it up directly or 2 years later, Tolfdir will act as if you only left winterhold and first lessons an hour ago (and being an NPC he doesn't know any better either).

In ESO (if skyrim would be build on the same quests as in Skyrim, to avoid spoilers), after first lessons, you get your reward and are left alone to do other things. Once you reach enough knowledge you will be summoned by Tolfdir to come to Saarthal and continue your training there. You can choose to not react with the result that all quests stick together front to back, cause all required training allready has been done, but it is breaking the narrative.

So in short, by keeping the main story till last in e.g. skyrim, you break the narrative cause you are supposed to do them once after the either without breaks, and taking breaks will cause unlogic npc-responds. where in ESO, there are supposed to be gaps between each and everyone and not taking them, but postponing a line till last will cause unlogic npc-responds.

In the end however it is up to you
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • mklundub17_ESO
    mklundub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Save them all guild quests and main storyline til you're vr1, the xp and rewards are pretty good and scale to your level so save them for levels you'll actually use them for more than a couple hours.
    Mass Terror
    PS4 | NA | AD
    v16 Imperial Templar
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @Ranique. ESO is structured linearly. The main quest is mostly disconnected from other quests, so it's possible to delay it without breaking the narrative too much, but it's meant to be played over a longer period with breaks in between, not as one string right before unlocking the northern part of Coldharbor. I keep it for v1 with my alts purely for XP, bht the story is better if you do each quest as soon as it unlocks.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Save them all guild quests and main storyline til you're vr1, the xp and rewards are pretty good and scale to your level so save them for levels you'll actually use them for more than a couple hours.

I agree. It's fine to save these until you are nearing the end of Cold Harbor. If you've been clearing zones on the way, you will most likely be level 50 by then. The rewards from these quest lines are pretty good, and you will be able to use them for quite a while at vet levels, versus out-leveling them in a matter of hours if you do the quests as soon as you are able to.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • OnThaLoose
    OnThaLoose
    ✭✭✭
    I finished cold harbor and hit vr1 before starting it, so all the loot you get for the main quest will be vr1 too
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sigh... if you are worried about the level of your loot, then I can't imagine that you would be too concerned about being able to relate to/appreciate the storylines.

Do what works for you.

Seems to be different than what would work for me - but if you are having fun, then you are "doing it right".
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Lordklinger
    Actually, the only reason I play Elder Scroll games is for the storyline. I'm not really concerned about the leveled loot. Honestly, the reason I tend to save the the main story for the end is so I don't forget anything. Normally it takes me months to blow through an elders scrolls game because of their scope, but I haven't been able to put this game down. The zone storylines are incredibly fluid and intriguing, which has kept me coming back. In retrospect, I wish I would have completed the main quests as I went. I started this bad habit back in Oblivion and it has carried through. I do appreciate everyones help. I'm already a quarter of the way through VR1 and I still haven't completed the main quests or finished Coldharbour.