Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Dual Wielding DK

Mhylton44142
Mhylton44142
✭✭
Is a dual wielding DK using magic and DW abilities a viablke leveling (PvE) build? I'm sure once i ge to endgame will have to respec but was curious as to everyone's thoughts
  • Jonathann3891_ESO
    Jonathann3891_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    It all depends on what you like and how you want to play.

Cant go wrong with Dual Wield and Ranged
  • delphwind_ESO
    delphwind_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    You may want to consider going DW and a bow for ranged. Splitting your points between Stamina and Magicka will leave you a bit gimped.

Damage is based off your maximum stat, meaning all your DW and Bow skills will do MORE DAMAGE with a higher stamina. If you split your points between Stamina and Magicka you will do sub-par damage on both fronts.

I would suggest 1 point of health for every 2 points of stamina. Focus on DW until you hit level 15 and get the weapon swap, then craft or buy a bow. Use DW for single target and the bow when fighting groups of 3+.

Upgrade your gear every 10 levels. 16, 26, 36, 46 are the big crating upgrade levels you want to hit to stay decently geared.
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    you cant maximise your efficiency relying equally on magicka DPS and stamina DPS ... focus on one. DW/Bow is a nice way to focus on stamina DPS with the base magicka feeding some of your DK abilities
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• Mhylton44142
    Mhylton44142
    ✭✭
    You may want to consider going DW and a bow for ranged. Splitting your points between Stamina and Magicka will leave you a bit gimped.

Damage is based off your maximum stat, meaning all your DW and Bow skills will do MORE DAMAGE with a higher stamina. If you split your points between Stamina and Magicka you will do sub-par damage on both fronts.

I would suggest 1 point of health for every 2 points of stamina. Focus on DW until you hit level 15 and get the weapon swap, then craft or buy a bow. Use DW for single target and the bow when fighting groups of 3+.

Upgrade your gear every 10 levels. 16, 26, 36, 46 are the big crating upgrade levels you want to hit to stay decently geared.

The plan I came up with was to be primarily Magicka DPS based and use the DW skills as a finisher if you will. The idea was for every 10 points, to put 6 into magicka, 1 into health, and 3 into stamina. But seeing in an earlier post that damage is based on the number of attribute points in a skill, I may just forgo health altogether and do 70-30 magicka and stamina. I don't want to gimp myself long term, so does this ratio of 70-30 make sense for leveling? I think it allows me to become very powerful with my magicka abllities and to be somewhat strong in my DW abilities as well
  • Mhylton44142
    Mhylton44142
    ✭✭

The thing I don't understand is that most DK builds I've seen show a 2H for second weapon, shouldn't one be putting some skill points into stamina to make those attacks hit harder, why only focus on magicka or stamina? Is the reason to go 2H as second weapon is because it does so much more damage without having to put points into stamina?
  • Sandshark95
    Sandshark95
    ✭✭✭
    2h is probably one of the hardest hitting weapons out there right now, and it's a popular choice for that reason. DW is actually good for a magicka build; I've heard there's some sort of bonus using two weapons instead of one for a magicka build.

It depends on how you want to play; do you use mostly DK abilities on your bar? Then go for mostly magicka to maximize your damage. Is your bar virtually devoid of all DK skills and filled with weapons abilities? Then go for stamina to max weapon damage. The reason people choose only one is because you're not going to see a huge difference in damage output by dropping a few points into your 'secondary' stat; you're actually hurting yourself on both fronts if you spilt your points between magicka and stamina, as your weapon skills and magicka skills will both do 'okay' damage. Those points are better spent in your 'primary' stat. You can enchant your weapons if you want a magicka build or you could slot primarily weapon skills on your bar if you want a stamina build. Though your weapon damage won't be as high as someone with a stamina build, your magicka abilities will hit much harder or vice versa for a stamina build.