The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Many unanswered questions in role-play that need answering by a lore freak.

Anthonypls
Anthonypls
Soul Shriven
Now, I would say that I've been role-playing for quite some time now, mostly on LOTRO (Lord of the rings online), and it's great there, I found it easy to get into role-play because there aren't gaps that need filling when it comes to lore or anything. But with TESO, I found there's /many/ gaps.
I've searched on TESO-RP.com, and the forums here, and none of them seem to answer the types of questions you /need/ to begin role-play, such as;

1. Who can talk with who? Bretons, Nords, Elves.
2. Who hates who? Who has a long running pact (this would help answer the first question) of hate between each-other, so that they can't talk or interact?
3. If you're making an elf, or a breton, or any race; what's a suitable name for them? Do they have to be fantasy-type names, or can they be normal?
4. Where is the most role-play found on the game?
5. What kind of jobs can you say that you have, and not sound ridiculous? Can you be a member of the royal guard, or do you have to have a simple job like a farmer?
6. Where are the different races most likely born? If someone doesn't know they, they could say they were from somewhere ridiculous and people in OOC will shout at them.
7. If you're from a certain place in Tamriel, like let's say Auridon, is there anywhere where you /wouldn't/ go at all? Is there somewhere, where if you someone asked you where you were from and you said; "Auridon." Would it be ridiculous that you would ever be in this place?

There are basic questions that I feel have been completely left out, and beginner role-players on this server (like me) who know nothing of lore need to know them.
So thank you!
  • Evi1_An9e1
    Uesp wiki, best source of lore outside the games imo.
  • TheDarkShadow
    TheDarkShadow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anthonypls wrote: »
    Now, I would say that I've been role-playing for quite some time now, mostly on LOTRO (Lord of the rings online), and it's great there, I found it easy to get into role-play because there aren't gaps that need filling when it comes to lore or anything. But with TESO, I found there's /many/ gaps.
    I've searched on TESO-RP.com, and the forums here, and none of them seem to answer the types of questions you /need/ to begin role-play, such as;

2. Who hates who? Who has a long running pact (this would help answer the first question) of hate between each-other, so that they can't talk or interact?
    3. If you're making an elf, or a breton, or any race; what's a suitable name for them? Do they have to be fantasy-type names, or can they be normal?
    5. What kind of jobs can you say that you have, and not sound ridiculous? Can you be a member of the royal guard, or do you have to have a simple job like a farmer?
    6. Where are the different races most likely born? If someone doesn't know they, they could say they were from somewhere ridiculous and people in OOC will shout at them.
    7. If you're from a certain place in Tamriel, like let's say Auridon, is there anywhere where you /wouldn't/ go at all? Is there somewhere, where if you someone asked you where you were from and you said; "Auridon." Would it be ridiculous that you would ever be in this place?

There are basic questions that I feel have been completely left out, and beginner role-players on this server (like me) who know nothing of lore need to know them.
    So thank you!

1. I'm not sure what you mean. Most races have their own language, but they all can learn and speak the common tongue. Oh well, except the quadruped Khajiits; they can understand, but can't talk common language (but they can speak to other Khajiits).
    2. They all hate each other, seriously. Even in the same "alliance" they are like dog and cat. You can easily see Dark Elf racist toward Agronian, Argonian call other mammal races "milk sucker"... ect...
    3. Some races have meaning names which can linked to real life name/language, some are just random, like Khajiit. Can't talk about this in 1 post. You should google for more infor.
    4. No particular place. Find your rp partner/group/guild (http://teso-rp.com/forum) and just do it anywhere you like (but beware the trolls, they always begging for feeding, so just don't feed them).
    5. You can be anyone. But be careful when claiming yourself a noble man or a too powerful character, it's a touchy touchy thing many people don't want to deal with.
    6. Google. Note that slavery is just ended in Tamriel not too long ago, so many people could be born far from their homeland. Many travelers or mage/fighter guild members also travel around the world and can stay wherever they want so it's not restrictive where you're come from by your race.
    7. Again, google. I think you can come from anywhere in Tamriel, but say you're from Akavir or Yokuda is a bit... exaggeration.
    Edited by TheDarkShadow on July 3, 2015 10:01AM
  • Squishs
    Squishs
    ✭✭
    I would whole heartedly recommend the shoddycast Elderscrolls lore series(Can be found on youtube), it's short videos on given Aedra and Daedra (Gods and Demons of ES.) cultures, races, historical events and genuinely everything you'll need to know about Tamriel, bare In mind however that ESO is set within The Second Era so some events that have occurred don't actively affect what's going on in say the single player Oblivion and Skyrim, vice versa too.

Tiber Septim (Talos) is a good example of this, in ESO he hasn't been born yet and currently they're only 8 divines (if I'm right.)

Edited by Squishs on July 4, 2015 11:38AM
  • Evi1_An9e1
    A lot of the lore doesn't affect us in eso cause if I'm not mistaken we are early in the second era so nothing from the other games is impacting us.
  • Anthonypls
    Anthonypls
    Soul Shriven

So thank you!

1. I'm not sure what you mean. Most races have their own language, but they all can learn and speak the common tongue. Oh well, except the quadruped Khajiits; they can understand, but can't talk common language (but they can speak to other Khajiits).
    2. They all hate each other, seriously. Even in the same "alliance" they are like dog and cat. You can easily see Dark Elf racist toward Agronian, Argonian call other mammal races "milk sucker"... ect...
    3. Some races have meaning names which can linked to real life name/language, some are just random, like Khajiit. Can't talk about this in 1 post. You should google for more infor.
    4. No particular place. Find your rp partner/group/guild (http://teso-rp.com/forum) and just do it anywhere you like (but beware the trolls, they always begging for feeding, so just don't feed them).
    5. You can be anyone. But be careful when claiming yourself a noble man or a too powerful character, it's a touchy touchy thing many people don't want to deal with.
    6. Google. Note that slavery is just ended in Tamriel not too long ago, so many people could be born far from their homeland. Many travelers or mage/fighter guild members also travel around the world and can stay wherever they want so it's not restrictive where you're come from by your race.
    7. Again, google. I think you can come from anywhere in Tamriel, but say you're from Akavir or Yokuda is a bit... exaggeration.

That answered the questions pretty well, but in 1. I meant who would never talk to who, like who hates eachother so much that seeing them talk would make people question it.
  • Azurephoenix999
    Azurephoenix999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I can't answer these questions without repeating what's already been said. Just keep in mind that the Dark Elf slavery of the Argonians has only recently ended. This would cause a lot of tension between the two races.
    Guildmaster of Spectral Liberty - Xbox One - European Megaserver
  • NotSo
    NotSo
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ number 1 :
    In ESO there are ignorant racists and understanding normal folk. Roleplay either side of the spectrum.
    Gar'Sol the Wanderer VR14 Khajiit Sorcerer Spellblade
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So thank you!
    http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Languages
    Every race in the current time period speaks the same language, only a few scholars can speak the other ones.
    Edited by tplink3r1 on July 5, 2015 9:53PM
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • SedoUmbra
    SedoUmbra
    ✭✭✭

So thank you!

It's all pretty much been answered but common people will go from their Alliance's territory to Cyrodiil and no further.