Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New player needs help

xDarkNeonx
xDarkNeonx
Soul Shriven
Hey everyone, I've been playing ESO since it came out on consoles (Xbox One BTW) Every character i make i keep deleting. I can't figure out what class to play... I'm just stuck and i really wanna enjoy this game and it's my first MMO ever, But i got no idea what to pick. I really enjoyed being a sorcerer but my playstyle is more DPS/Tank. In past Elder Scrolls games well mostly Skyrim i went as a dual wield warrior in heavy armor. I want a melee type character but i don't know what to really do. Everything i try only gets to about levels 8-12 then i give up and try again. I haven't found that one thing i really like yet. Any help is appreciated, Thanks.
Edited by xDarkNeonx on July 3, 2015 12:52AM

Best Answer

• OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    Allow me to risk a suggestion then ... do something a little unconventional (but will have been done before because there are not limitless options.)

Try creating your character by appearance (rather than class/race/gear combinations) and create a back story for your character before you start playing, then role play it rather than simply "playing the game"

For example I created an Altmer, sorcerer vampire .... with the express intention of mimicking this in both appearance and role ...

tumblr_m6drvar6f51r6te1zo1_1280.jpg
    Edited by OzJohnD on July 3, 2015 2:25AM
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

Answer ✓
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure why you are deleting them. You can have up to 8 characters.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    hmm .. that's a challenge because no one can choose something you will enjoy, only you can do that.

try some reading on http://deltiasgaming.com/ to help you decide

Personally I would get to lvl 30 before abandoning something and "rerolling" ... you need to give something a reasonable chance with higher level abilities to find out if its a class/race/build combo for you
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• xDarkNeonx
    xDarkNeonx
    Soul Shriven
    I'm only deleting them cause i'm OCD. If i'm not really gonna use them then i just delete them. And I've been on Deltia's site before and i started with a DK just to try for his Bloody Butcher Build but i kinda gave around level 14-15 cause i felt like i was dying way too easy. i can figure out race and build sorta i'm just stuck on class. Cause i know it's just a template for your character. But i'll look through and see if i can find anything else that sticks out to me.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You don't know if you aren't gonna use them. With a respec they are fairly completely new characters.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • xDarkNeonx
    xDarkNeonx
    Soul Shriven
    Alright i could try that and see how it works, Thanks
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    OzJohnD wrote: »
    Try creating your character by appearance (rather than class/race/gear combinations) and create a back story for your character before you start playing, then role play it rather than simply "playing the game"

Good advice, which I often forget to mention because that's what I always do.