Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Picking Locks On PS4

MilwaukeeScott
MilwaukeeScott
✭✭✭✭✭
On PS4

I've watched all the videos and read everything there is to read about lockpicking and I still suck. I'm normally pretty good at this stuff.

On the PS4, am I missing something? A way to slow down the plunger or something else? Two buttons instead of one?

I've tried it with vibration on and tried it off, I suck both ways.

Thanks for any hints or advice that's PS4 specific.
PS4NA

All I see is hate and rage from people who don't understand how to.....
  • Chaos0720
    Chaos0720
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps someone may be able to give better advice, but could you elaborate on what your having trouble with? I don't seem to be having any issue with it as a game mechanic. I just hold R2 until the pin pops back up, then i know where to stop the next time.
  • MilwaukeeScott
    MilwaukeeScott
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chaos0720 wrote: »
    I just hold R2 until the pin pops back up, then i know where to stop the next time.

After watching all the videos, I hold R2 and look for the spring start to shake and let go or the pick breaks before I let go. Once in a blue moon the tumbler will stay down.

Usually I push one tumbler until the spring starts to shake then let go. Push and repeat, repeat, repeat. Often times the pick will break. Time usually runs out before I get the first tumbler to stay down. I always try Simple chests.

I must be misunderstanding. The key is to let go just as the spring starts to shake, correct? Everytime I do that, the tumbler just pops back up.

There must be something else........ I'm not normally this horridly bad at this kind of stuff. I've probably tried 50+ Simple chests without opening one.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
    PS4NA

• OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    Practice, practice, practice .... once you get the hang of it lock picking will be a breeze even at advanced levels
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• Chaos0720
    Chaos0720
    ✭✭✭
    As OzJohnD said, honestly the best thing you can do is practice. I think the issue may be that your letting it go when it starts to rattle.

Let's say that you can push the lock down on a scale of 1 to 10. The lock might start rattling at 5, but you actually need to get it down to 6 if that makes any sense. As far as lock picks go, don't stress about them breaking. You'll find a lot and if not you can buy them cheap. Once you get the hang of it, you'll have a stockpile of lock picks.
  • MilwaukeeScott
    MilwaukeeScott
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the issue may be that your letting it go when it starts to rattle.
    Yep. That's exactly what I do.
    Let's say that you can push the lock down on a scale of 1 to 10. The lock might start rattling at 5, but you actually need to get it down to 6 if that makes any sense. As far as lock picks go, don't stress about them breaking. You'll find a lot and if not you can buy them cheap. Once you get the hang of it, you'll have a stockpile of lock picks.
    Thank you very, very, very much!
    PS4NA

• Sandshark95
    Sandshark95
    ✭✭✭
    @MilwaukeeScott From what it sounds like, you might be letting go too late. Try releasing the tumbler just before it begins to shake. You'll notice if you look very closely that as you press it down and approach the point where it'll begin to wobble, the tumbler will tilt ever so slightly to one side of the chamber before any shaking occurs. That's when you release it. Also, I'd recommend keeping the controller vibration on, as it helps. With simple chests, you have a bit of leeway as to when you can let go and still have the tumbler stick.

I rarely break lockpicks--only broken a handful--and I have cracked open multiple master locks on the first try without issue. Once you get it down, it's really simple. Coming from Skyrim, I didn't understand it at all at first. Now, I think this game's lockpicking system is far easier than Skyrim's.

Again, try releasing it a bit earlier, look for the visual cues (tumbler tilt), even listen for some audio clues (visual is more easily recognizable in my opinion), and try to "feel" the spring resisting the tumbler.
  • Chaos0720
    Chaos0720
    ✭✭✭
    You'll notice if you look very closely that as you press it down and approach the point where it'll begin to wobble, the tumbler will tilt ever so slightly to one side of the chamber before any shaking occurs. .

I never even noticed that. Lol. I'll keep my eye out for that. Thank you

• MilwaukeeScott
    MilwaukeeScott
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got it!! Thanks for all your help!! I guess I misunderstood all the videos and guides.

The key for me was I was trying to set the tumbler in the spot it started to shake.

I needed to try to stop [set] it just before it shakes.

Thanks again!
    Edited by MilwaukeeScott on July 2, 2015 10:09PM
    PS4NA

• Sandshark95
    Sandshark95
    ✭✭✭
    Congrats. Yep, that's the key--finding where it begins to shake and letting go just before.

Glad we could help.