The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Is it possible to level a character just with pvp?

mdhammond
mdhammond
✭✭✭
Assuming us console folks could actually get into a pvp area half the time, how long would you estimate it would take lvl 10-50 just doing pvp, the main story quests, and maybe mob grinding some in cyrodil? Sounds like fun to me, taking a character from 10 all the way up, always having the risk of a pvp encounter looming.

Of course this is if they ever releas more campaigns bc I can rarely get into one
  • Calluna
    Calluna
    ✭✭✭
    If you do the main story quests, guild quests and get all the skyshards plus play in cyrodiil regularly you will level decently quickly. Of course not as fast as your buddies the grind and/or quest but if you like pvp it will be more fun for you.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done it but it takes considerably longer than doing the normal PvE quests. I went from 10 to 28 in Cyrodiil, then took a break to catch up on the main quest and fighters/mages guild quests, then went back to PvP.
    :smile:
  • wafcatb14_ESO
    wafcatb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    you can however unlike other games say Warhammer, and DAOC as examples, you can not level as fast, in those games, you could level be pve questing, or by doing Scenarios basically like a World of Warcraft battle ground, that had kill player quests aside from controlling objectives, or capture the flag etc.

they also had mini RvR areas, with quests for scouting, kill players, capture objectives etc. and you could level entirely with those and be about as fast as those that were pve leveling.

But not in ESO you can level up in Cryodill but no where near as fast unless you are grinding mobs in a Dungeon.
  • dwtdwtdwt
    dwtdwtdwt
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't take that long at all, really. I leveled a toon from 18-50 doing almost all pvp. The only quests I did outside of Cyrodiil was the Mage Guild quests and story line quests. I also ran around and collected all the lorebooks, so I got explore XP from thst. I killed Molog Bal at level 45 and collected books until I was able to reach rank 10 in the Mages Guild and learn meteor at level 45! I finally vetted out in Cyrodiil. It took me under 2 weeks to reach veteran rank, and that was while trying not to gain XP from 45-50 so I could stay in non-vet Cyrodiil longer.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." -Plato
  • Akavir_Sentinel
    Akavir_Sentinel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None of you that have posted in this thread have levelled a character solely via PvP, which is what the OP is asking about. Level 10 to 50 would take forever to achieve solely by PvP. If you grind dungeons in Cyrodiil, that is PvE, not PvP.
    Can't find the items you are looking for? Need a place to trade? We welcome ESO players of all platforms at ESO Trade, the home for trading of goods and services in the lands of Tamriel.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it would be possible, I guess. Technically. With quite a bit of patience - especially if the campaign doesn#t exactly go as you might wish...

Don't know anyone who actually did it... seeing how questing will get you there faster...

Not to mention, several quests give extra skillpoints (what was it again, three per map, plus the main story and such). And then there are skyshards, exploration expees, crafting, etc.

I think most PvP for the AP to buy nifty gear with anyhow... and shooting for emperor... XP gains through it seem to be more bonus...
  • SC0TY999
    SC0TY999
    ✭✭✭✭
    The vet lvl's will take an age and the game will probably be dead by the time you reach v14.

v1-v14 = 14,000,000.00 exp
  • Mitchblue
    Mitchblue
    ✭✭✭✭
    SC0TY999 wrote: »
    The vet lvl's will take an age and the game will probably be dead by the time you reach v14.

Speaking of XP, anyway to tell how much XP per level on PS4?
    Anyone else rooting for Molag Bal?
  • Cherryblossom
    Cherryblossom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is possible, but you need to be in a very good group! It's quite possible to level purely in PVP very quickly.
    I leveled my healing Templar to Vet 2 in PVP alone in about a month of playing about 2 hours each weekday at prime time, but sadly the group I was with disbanded and members left the game as they became disillusioned by the lack of improvement within Cyrodill. Please note this was also at the time before they improved the XP returns from PVP!
    Now 8 months later my templar is still only Vet 9 from trying to grind Silver and Gold, I find it boring so go back to this toon occassionally to try and level....
    She is sitting with 6 million AP waiting for me to Hit Vet 14 and buy lots of boxes :)
    Edited by Cherryblossom on June 30, 2015 10:36AM
  • SC0TY999
    SC0TY999
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mitchblue wrote: »

No idea I played PC.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mitchblue wrote: »

Here's a complete list, but I don't know what use it is to you when you can't see your current XP values and XP gains.
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Leveling

I leveled up to 20 in Cyro for now, it was reasonably quick so I think reaching 50 won't take forever. I'm planning to leave Cyro for zone storylines, public and instanced dungeons while I'm leveling, it should give me a few levels too. I'll do guild at vet 1 because they scale (so do instanced dungeons, but I want skillpoints).
  • PF1901
    PF1901
    ✭✭✭
    None of you that have posted in this thread have levelled a character solely via PvP, which is what the OP is asking about. Level 10 to 50 would take forever to achieve solely by PvP. If you grind dungeons in Cyrodiil, that is PvE, not PvP.
    You're wrong. Doesn't take nowhere near as long as forever - I'm talking solely by pvp. Naturally if a few weeks (i'm not in a hurry) is equal to "forever" then you are correct.