The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Can Tank bevome an emperor?

Rinmaethodain
Rinmaethodain
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello,

I need some information from experienced PVP players.

Do tank builds even have a chance at becoming emperor in pvp?

From what i noticed in my short experience in pvp being emperor -> lots of alliance points -> lots of kills and ap gains

And to kill you need dps and there goes various dps builds either stamina or magicka etc.

Right now im full hp dk build with one hand + sword. With my usual tank setup my dps is about 1k ~ 1.5k with light attacks, some shield bashing and occasional pierce armor.

If i add in some offensive abilties from draconic power like unstable flame or petrify and add in heavy attacks my dps tops at 2.5k which is still almost nothing compared to dps builds. (dps in PvE)

So my question stands, do full hp tank build even have a chance to become emperor, have you ever seen a 1hand + shield emperor/former emperor?
Edited by Rinmaethodain on June 27, 2015 6:52PM
  • Ryuuhime
    Ryuuhime
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, tanks can be emperors and there are ways to kill players that don't involve your own dps -- sieging them, or contributing to their death but not delivering the kill blow. There is far more to AP gain than simply killing players, so every role has a chance to become emperor, be it healer, dps or tank.
  • iseko
    iseko
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heavy armor flame lash dk's man. Hard to kill. Especially when emp...
  • r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you be emperor with a tank build and have success? - Yes.

Can you become emperor on a tank build? - Yes, but not on your own. You won't get enough AP this way - being tanky is not rewarded.
    Lairgren | DC Dragonknight - August Palatine
    playing for eXile

I'm done, CU somewhere else.
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most AP is earned in large raids or effective 8-12 groups, there your individual dps is less relevant (everyone gets same AP). So it really depends on the campaign and how good your group is at farming AP.

For a lower pop campaign, where have to do small scale or even solo for AP outside of primetime, than pure tanks/healers cannot get emp. Impossible to compete with guys that roams around and racks up kills early morning or late night.

Also there's a major difference between tanks and "tanky dps". Tanky dps players can get emp anywhere, because well they kill stuff, while a blocking punch-bag or heal-bot cannot.

But on populated campaigns, with 24/7 action, than pretty much anyone can get emp.

Generally speaking, playing full tank or healer is not that rewarding in PvP. I would not advice it, unless needed in a specific group composition. You get much less exp towards CP, for once. But you're also gimped and cant effectively solo or small scale. There's always going to be times when there's no big group up, friends or guildies online. It's good to have a more dps oriented build to switch to.

• hammayolettuce
    hammayolettuce
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you run in a group of 8-12 people and have an aoe on your bar to tag as many enemy players as possible, you should still generate a good amount of AP. Healing people also gives you a percentage of the AP they earned, so you might consider running resto for healing springs and healing ward.
    Snü (Magicka DK) ♥ Thnu (Stamplar) ♥ Pizza for Breakfast (Magplar) ♥ Sparklefingers (Magicka Sorc) ♥
    Bean and Cheese Burrito (Magicka DK) ♥ Snurrito (Stamplar) ♥
    DARFAL COVANT
  • Swarog
    Swarog
    ✭✭✭
    I'm tank and a Former Emperor.
    $ Welcome to the new trade guild The Wolves. Our trader located in Wayrest. Join us! Send me mail or /tell to @swarog.
  • PeggymoeXD
    PeggymoeXD
    ✭✭✭✭
    Emperor is just determined by how much AP you earn. It has nothing to do with your build. You can be butt naked and unequipped and still get emperor. It's pretty unfortunate actually, that getting Emp is really just about how much later than everyone else you stay up, not based on skill at all.
    Kitty DK

Vanguärd
    Învictus
    Sun's Death
    EPHS

- Peggy Moe - Look Mom No Emp Buff - Chalman - Linda the Zookeeper -
  • Kupoking
    Kupoking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone here saying that tanks cannot get kills on their own... I cant disagree more. There are extremely good DK and Templars I know who plays all heavy sword n board and are great duelers or skirmishers.

Making your enemy waste its ressource and then timing you damage output at the right time is an art.
  • r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone here saying that tanks cannot get kills on their own... I cant disagree more. There are extremely good DK and Templars I know who plays all heavy sword n board and are great duelers or skirmishers.

Making your enemy waste its ressource and then timing you damage output at the right time is an art.

Using 1h/shield does not qualify as a tank. OP is speaking about
    1k ~ 1.5k with light attacks, some shield bashing and occasional pierce armor.

If i add in some offensive abilties from draconic power like unstable flame or petrify and add in heavy attacks my dps tops at 2.5k which is still almost nothing compared to dps builds.

and you can hardly kill anything with this.
    Lairgren | DC Dragonknight - August Palatine
    playing for eXile

I'm done, CU somewhere else.