Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Complete quests without disguises?

fnarclop
fnarclop
Soul Shriven
I've searched the forums and the internet at large for an answer, but haven't figured this out yet.

There are several quests in the Daggerfall starting area like this one that more or less require you to, at some point, pick up a disguise and equip it. This, however, is something I'm (at the moment) unable to do due to a bug of some kind. Does anyone know if it's possible to complete quests like this WITHOUT picking up the disguises? They seem to be integral steps in the quest that I can't just bypass.

IsLGExw.png
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    After my 2nd or 3rd char playing these quests, I'll ignore the disguises and just kill the npcs who are in my way, (more xp that way >:) ). Note I don't kill everyone, just the npcs in the way of the quest goals.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    After my 2nd or 3rd char playing these quests, I'll ignore the disguises and just kill the npcs who are in my way, (more xp that way >:) ). Note I don't kill everyone, just the npcs in the way of the quest goals.

Agree, disguises are optional. They allow you to do a quest without a lot of fighting. But, as noted above, you can fight through and get XP instead.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Be careful with that, though. There is at least one quest in Alik'r Desert (Bergama, if I remember correctly) that requires you to wear the disguise to
    a) listen in to an NPC conversation that only triggers while wearing the disguise
    b) enter the two respective headquarters of the involved factions
    At this point you will not be able to finish the quest if costumes are bugged. As to the bug itself, have you double checked that you do not have this disguise in your inventory already? These are usually unique, meaning that you can't loot more than one. Also, they are sometimes dropped by the enemies in those areas, so you may have looted it by accident. Check also the "quest item" section of your inventory.
  • sadownik
    sadownik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »

Agree, disguises are optional. They allow you to do a quest without a lot of fighting. But, as noted above, you can fight through and get XP instead.

Wrond. There are quests where disguises are required. Granted there are few of them but still.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They're usually optional and just help you avoid fighting, but I think this particular quest requires a disguise to get inside. I could be wrong, it's been a while. There's also a quest in Auridon when you're disguised to infiltrate the enemy training camp, but that disguises you automatically, no need to equip anything.
    Edited by Rosveen on June 26, 2015 2:35PM
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'll amend my previous statment. Yes there are a few quests where you are required to use disuises to get into places, mainly for spying. So you should be aware and look out for those quests.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never wear the disguises and less I find that I can't advance the quest without it. I'm really more of an "kill everything" person, I want all mobs to meet their death at my hands, and I want them to see me doing it.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Tessie
    Tessie
    ✭✭✭
    If you are unable to loot the disguise it may be because you already have one in your inventory and they are unique. I've had a situation where I agro a guard while I had a disguise equipped, and it unequips the disguise and removes it from my inventory. I wasn't able to re-equip a newly looted one until I had logged out and back in.

Apart from the quest mentioned above by @Leandor I'm not aware of any that require a disguise.
  • fnarclop
    fnarclop
    Soul Shriven
    All, thanks for your replies. I'm a very new player. I'm actually aware of the duplicate item problem with respect to disguises. hanks, @Tessie! I did some googling first.

Perhaps I should be a bit more clear. This quest specifically requires me to obtain a disguise. There doesn't seem to be a way to progress to the next "objective" and update the quest log without one:

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Tip_of_the_Spearhead

Now, I'm not entirely clear on how the main story quests are supposed to play out, but this SEEMS to be part of the main story and as such I'm kind of worried that I 1.) Can't really skip it and 2.) won't be able to progress the actual main story quests. I'll have to log back in tonight and see if I can start the quest over (again) and perhaps bypass the disguise part somehow. I'm pretty *** sure that I have to have the disguise on in order to open the door to the mansion, however.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are correct in that you need the disguise to progress. Did you recruit Crafty Lerisa during the previous quest? If so, she will already have given you a disguise which would be why you can't loot it.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • fnarclop
    fnarclop
    Soul Shriven
    Unfortunately its all disguises on any character or quest. But, I did not rescue her that I know of. I don't even have an appearances option in my menu.
  • fnarclop
    fnarclop
    Soul Shriven
    Fixed the bug by using the loot all option. Stupidest I've felt in a log time.