The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What About A Roleplay Server?

Schnuffles
Schnuffles
✭✭✭
I noticed alot of people say they are sucked out of immersion on consoles especially with the way the area chat works.
What if there was a specific server dedicated to role play only?
Do you think it would work?
How would we monitor it?

I dont have all the issues associated with another server thoroughly thought out but maybe together we can come up with a viable solution to the RP vs Casual gaming issue.
Feel free to post your own ideas <3

Note. I put the main part of this thread in BOLD so there is no more confusion about the true topic of this thread. Please keep the discussion civil and constructive.
Edited by Schnuffles on June 24, 2015 6:15PM
This One Desires Pretty Armor.

Female : Wood Elf Archer: Dominion : Ps4

• Banky71
    Banky71
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's not a bad idea but I just don't think it would be cost effective.
    If you chase two rabbits, you will lose them both.

gamertag - xbone Banky71
    Options
  • Schnuffles
    Schnuffles
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe there could be a specific Area chat Designed solely for mass roleplay. Something you have to opt-into when you load up your game? I really haven't thought it through that much as you can see hahaha.

Options
  • Sallington
    Sallington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a great idea, as is a PvP server.

I don't think there would be a need to monitor it much. Just separating the player base up into smaller, like-minded groups would be a good thing I think.
    Edited by Sallington on June 24, 2015 4:42PM
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Sallington - Templar - Stormproof - Prefect II
    Cobham - Sorcerer - Stormproof - First Sergeant II
    Shallington - NightBlade - Lieutenant |
    Balmorah - Templar - Sergeant ||
    Options
  • Sord
    Sord
    ✭✭✭
    There are only 3 servers, one for Xbox, PS4 and PC. Can't they just make a group and make it so they can only hear group members or something. I am a PC player I know nothing of consoles.
    www.fateslegacy.com Share your build or find a build here at Fate's Legacy!
    -This is your life and its ending one moment at a time-
    Options
  • traigusb14_ESO2
    traigusb14_ESO2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a traditional MMO server setup, so can't really do it.

Options
  • Banky71
    Banky71
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would be totally down for roleplaying. I've never done anything like that but I do have an acting/music background. I just think I would be wanting to joke around the whole time with everyone so I don't know if I would be good at it.
    If you chase two rabbits, you will lose them both.

gamertag - xbone Banky71
    Options
  • coryevans_3b14_ESO
    coryevans_3b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt there would be enough people to support this idea. Definitely not against it though.
    Options
  • Schnuffles
    Schnuffles
    ✭✭✭

Simply saying It can't be done won't really change much. Lets brainstorm! Designated Area Chats perhaps?

Options
  • Schnuffles
    Schnuffles
    ✭✭✭
    Banky71 wrote: »
    I would be totally down for roleplaying. I've never done anything like that but I do have an acting/music background. I just think I would be wanting to joke around the whole time with everyone so I don't know if I would be good at it.

No one is automatically good when they try something new anyway, every craft takes practice!

Options
  • Lenikus
    Lenikus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, we can make one full instance exclusively for RP,
    BUT,
    it would only make it easier to the trolls to find people doing rp.

Just spam the report button... and hope for the best.
    ... Mai cave. >:3
    Options
  • Schnuffles
    Schnuffles
    ✭✭✭
    Lenikus wrote: »
    Yes, we can make one full instance exclusively for RP,
    BUT,
    it would only make it easier to the trolls to find people doing rp.

Just spam the report button... and hope for the best.

Perhaps an Added Mute Function or Ignore that would make the person invisible/semi visable and silent? that would be lovely

Options
  • Ephany
    Ephany
    ✭✭
    Does mother know thou weareth her drapes?
    Options
  • Pman85
    Pman85
    ✭✭✭✭

finally someone gets it

galv5Il.gif
    Guildmaster - Order of Stendarr [XB1] - Apply today!

Brought to you by Fishy Joe's....Ride the walrus!

Options
  • Schnuffles
    Schnuffles
    ✭✭✭
    Pman85 wrote: »

finally someone gets it

galv5Il.gif

I'm sorry this thread is about solutions not practicing condescension. Thank you. C:

Options
  • Pman85
    Pman85
    ✭✭✭✭
    Schnuffles wrote: »
    Pman85 wrote: »

finally someone gets it

galv5Il.gif

I'm sorry this thread is about solutions not practicing condescension. Thank you. C:

....solutions? about RP that is everywhere?

why.gif

its a megaserver! It only sounds like "condenscension" if you dont know what that even means

bmh.gif

Edited by Pman85 on June 24, 2015 5:47PM
    Guildmaster - Order of Stendarr [XB1] - Apply today!

Brought to you by Fishy Joe's....Ride the walrus!

Options
  • darthbelanb14_ESO
    darthbelanb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    And divide the community even further, yeah, always a good idea.
    Options
  • Schnuffles
    Schnuffles
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry. I specifically asked for Ideas. If you are going to continue to degrade my thread and add nothing constructive i will have to report you for intentional Flaming. I don't want to do that. So please stop.

Options
  • darthbelanb14_ESO
    darthbelanb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    That's as constructive as it gets. The community is already divided into 3 separate severs, and you want to compound that by adding yet another server. Where does it end?
    Options
  • Peel_Ya_Cap_517
    Peel_Ya_Cap_517
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I agree, you all should be segregated from gen pop
    N64 NA EP
    Options
  • Schnuffles
    Schnuffles
    ✭✭✭
    I understand that some of you may be passionate but please try to stay on topic and address your concerns with thoughtful criticism and solutions and not condescension or insults. Thank You. I'm trying to keep it a civilized discussion

Options
  • traigusb14_ESO2
    traigusb14_ESO2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Simply saying It can't be done won't really change much. Lets brainstorm! Designated Area Chats perhaps?

RP server can't be done. Not really anything anyone can do about that. it was the subject of the thread.

You want to talk about RP chat channels or other solutions that's a completely different topic. That is great and i'm 100% behind it.... just doesn't match the thread topic. People will come in and ONLY read the topic and first post then reply.

I'd prefer a RP channel. It keeps the RP people from cluttering up the emote channel with talking, plus it is not that hard to do relatively.
    Options
  • BigM
    BigM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It wouldn't be cost efficient. Megaservers cost a heck of a lot of money to setup with hardware and software. It is still in it's early development, yet I never seen the problems they are having with this one. It may have helped if they waited an extra year to get everything worked out with the PC/MAC side.
    “The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking
    Options
  • Schnuffles
    Schnuffles
    ✭✭✭

RP server can't be done. Not really anything anyone can do about that. it was the subject of the thread.

You want to talk about RP chat channels or other solutions that's a completely different topic. That is great and i'm 100% behind it.... just doesn't match the thread topic. People will come in and ONLY read the topic and first post then reply.

I'd prefer a RP channel. It keeps the RP people from cluttering up the emote channel with talking, plus it is not that hard to do relatively.
    It's Clearly stated I'm Open to solutions and I am not here to argue I just want to open up a discussion about how this can be done.

Your Idea of an RP channel sounds great! I would love to see something like that in action.

Options
  • traigusb14_ESO2
    traigusb14_ESO2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's Clearly stated I'm Open to solutions and I am not here to argue I just want to open up a discussion about how this can be done.

Your Idea of an RP channel sounds great! I would love to see something like that in action.

Just warning you how it was going to go.

I think there was at least 1 MMO with a RP channel... but i'm drawing a blank on it right now. On PC at least it seems prety easy to do and to switch in and out of.

Console would be an area voice chat and I dunno how you would keep annoying 12 yr odls out.

I ran into guy RPing a kajiit really well in RIften last night on Xbox.. all in General area chat. A lot of the kids seem to think he was a GM event or something lol. He was playing a trader and looking for different crafting mats. Sold him some Daedra hearts and copper. Did a really great job. great fun.

Options
  • LrdRahvin
    LrdRahvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry. I specifically asked for Ideas. If you are going to continue to degrade my thread and add nothing constructive i will have to report you for intentional Flaming. I don't want to do that. So please stop.

Eye iz skeered.

pleez donet repurt meh too da authoritahz >:)
    Edited by LrdRahvin on June 24, 2015 6:49PM
    Options
  • Gandrhulf_Harbard
    Gandrhulf_Harbard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hang on a minute people.

When I join a group with a guildmate we can both be stood by the Writ notice board in Davon's Watch and not be able to see one another because we are in "different instances" of Davon's Watch.

This is solved by one of us travelling to the DW waypoint to pull us in to the same "instance" as the other.

Can this "instancing" not be used for RP purposes.
    Have an instance that is for RPers, and let them join it at login if they wish.

All The Best
    Those memories come back to haunt me, they haunt me like a curse.
    Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse.
    Options
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Perhaps an Added Mute Function or Ignore that would make the person invisible/semi visable and silent? that would be lovely

That would be a good idea on all servers, in my opinion
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
    Options
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hang on a minute people.

When I join a group with a guildmate we can both be stood by the Writ notice board in Davon's Watch and not be able to see one another because we are in "different instances" of Davon's Watch.

This is solved by one of us travelling to the DW waypoint to pull us in to the same "instance" as the other.

Can this "instancing" not be used for RP purposes.
    Have an instance that is for RPers, and let them join it at login if they wish.

All The Best

Yes it can, at least in theory. Apparently nobody remembers ZOS all but promised there would be a RP "phase" you could opt into. Basically you'd check a box and be put into instances with others who also checked the RP box. This was hyped up around PC launch last year, but then was never discussed once things got rolling. I think during one AMA they said it was no longer a priority, and here we are.

I guess such a short memory among the playerbase is good in that it helps avoid accountability.
    Gore-of-the-Forest Argonian Nightblade
    Wode Earthrender Breton Dragonknight
    Ceol the Last Baron Redguard Dragonknight
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
    Erebain Salothran Dark Elf Templar
    Rituals-of-the-Forest Argonian Warden
    Options
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    Nice idea, but I think the lag would be too big
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

Options
  • HobnailedBoots
    HobnailedBoots
    ✭✭✭
    He's not really flaming you, just talking reality. It's a megaserver. Having a separate RP server would defeat the entire concept of the megaserver. So it's really a nonstarter.
    Options