Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Non AoE campaign

BigTone
BigTone
✭✭✭✭
Just another completely radical idea of mine, but what about testing a campaign that doesn't allow AoE moves? Everything single target for damage allowed, but nothing else. No steel tornado, impulse, or meteor would be spammed over and over and over again. Could you imagine how much the lag would reduce? Something would probably have to be done to nerf healing abilities a little, but I could see this being pretty successful. What do you think?
Big'Tone-V16 DC Sorc AR31
Sneaky'Tone-V16 DC NB AR22
Holy'Tone-V12 DC Temp
Chunky'Tone-33 DC DK (BWB beast)

Worst NB NA
Roll dodging magicka sorc

"Do you know why they call him Big'Tone?"
  • halfbadger
    halfbadger
    ✭✭✭
    So DKs and Templars are not allowed to use any of their class ultimates?
    Sorcs will not be able to use curse or mages fury?

So many skills have aoe parts to them that builds would be extremely limited.
  • Kobaal
    Kobaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey! lets make a campaign that has only light attacks!

Lol just kidding,

But seriously, AOE is part of the game. I don't think the answer is no AOE, I think its more like fix your game ZOS.
    Edited by Kobaal on June 22, 2015 6:50PM
    Kobaal - VR16 Dragon Knight - PC [NA] Azura Star
    Kobaal Shadowborn - VR16 NightBlade - PC [NA] Azura Star
    Kobaal Stormborn- VR3 Sorcerer - PC [NA] Azura Star
    Fat Old Templar - lvl 19 Templar - PC [NA] BwB
  • Beesting
    Beesting
    ✭✭✭✭
    Removing steel tornado bombgroups would be nice, it gets a bit boring to just see 5 x steel tornado from 5 different people in my death recaps.

Zos can them include a tip / helpfull message : go to the non steel tornado campain if you want to have fun in pvp
    Edited by Beesting on June 23, 2015 12:50AM
    Beesting, Bosmer Magica DK, AD EU, crafter
    Slager, Dunmer Magica DK, DC EU, pvp
    Farmer, Dunmer Magica DK, AD EU, trials build

Every major patch looks like the end of the world but somehow i just cannot stop playing.
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Campaign that only allows basic weapon attacks (left clicking your mouse button)
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just add friendly fire and people will stop spamming steel tornado ;)

But I don't think a non aoe campaign will work as many skills include some kind of aoe.
  • BigTone
    BigTone
    ✭✭✭✭
    halfbadger wrote: »
    So DKs and Templars are not allowed to use any of their class ultimates?
    Sorcs will not be able to use curse or mages fury?

So many skills have aoe parts to them that builds would be extremely limited.

All classes have AoE ultis, hell all three of sorcs involve some AoE. Maybe have the AoE effect of spells like curse be disabled, it only hits the person targeted.
    Makkir wrote: »
    Campaign that only allows basic weapon attacks (left clicking your mouse button)

There are many abilities that aren't AoE. Perhaps the current stage of PvP has ruined you.
    Holy'Tone-V12 DC Temp

Worst NB NA

• BigTone
    BigTone
    ✭✭✭✭

This is stupid and adds nothing to the post. It completely shows your lack of knowledge of the game and lack of creativity. They are already creating different scoring systems for different campaigns, why not different rule sets? These can be one week campaigns that change from week to week. No AoE's one week, no ultimate the other, extremely buffed siege the week after that. Just something to break up the current monotony of stack on crown and spammmm.

As I mentioned in the OP, this is an extremely radical idea and very outside the box. Of course not all of my suggestions will be perfect, but I am trying to come up with something more interesting than what we currently have.
    Holy'Tone-V12 DC Temp

Worst NB NA

• Telel
    Telel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would this also disable AOE heals, and Purge? Because otherwise it'd only exasperate the issue of unstoppable purge trains rolling over everything.

They'd have to move a little slower due to needing to actually pick targets but right now you can't really burst down the individual 'bots' fast enough using single target DPS unless you somehow manage to get a good number of people focusing on it all at once.
    Character: Telel
    Class: Night Blade-Werewolf-viking-ninja-catgirl-mallet wielder
    Past times: Refusing to go full magika spec, hitting things with a big hammer, sniping, and speaking in khajiit
    Also: Gelel the Derp Knight, Altsel the streaker, and Filafel the temp temp.

Khajiit has a twitch stream! https://twitch.tv/telel_khajiit feel free to come see how truly unskilled Telel is.
  • BigTone
    BigTone
    ✭✭✭✭
    My original idea was just damaging abilities.
    Holy'Tone-V12 DC Temp

Worst NB NA

• Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BigTone wrote: »

This is stupid and adds nothing to the post. It completely shows your lack of knowledge of the game and lack of creativity. They are already creating different scoring systems for different campaigns, why not different rule sets? These can be one week campaigns that change from week to week. No AoE's one week, no ultimate the other, extremely buffed siege the week after that. Just something to break up the current monotony of stack on crown and spammmm.

As I mentioned in the OP, this is an extremely radical idea and very outside the box. Of course not all of my suggestions will be perfect, but I am trying to come up with something more interesting than what we currently have.

According to your profile you joined May29th. I have been playing since Beta with a little 3 month break back in Aug-Oct, specifically playing in Cyrodiil. This game was designed and advertised for AvA combat and zergs/aoe are a part of that. Any quality team could tell you that you fix problems by going after root causes, not bandaiding them or creating special snowflake workarounds. In this case, the root cause is server performance and not being able to handle 100+ players using their abilities.

You made a stupid, sorry if that word seems harsh, suggestion to remove "damage aoes." I would presume you don't mean to include siege or else, well you know.

You run with HoD and been institutionalized that your only way of playing Cyrodiil is to advertise in zone "Type HD22 for invite" (or the likes) and stay on crown whereas SEVERAL seasoned players are running around in 6-12 man organized groups.

Assuming you started playing recently since your forum profile indicates you joined 5/29, no offense but you've been limiting yourself to a paradigm that isn't shared by everyone else.

In comparison to World of Warcraft, you are playing the LFR (looking for raid) version of Cyrodiil and complaining about monotony. Try the Heroic or Mythic versions first.
    Edited by Makkir on June 24, 2015 1:32AM
  • BigTone
    BigTone
    ✭✭✭✭

According to your profile you joined May29th. I have been playing since Beta with a little 3 month break back in Aug-Oct, specifically playing in Cyrodiil.

I have been playing the game since launch but joined the forums recently.
    This game was designed and advertised for AvA combat and zergs/aoe are a part of that. Any quality team could tell you that you fix problems by going after root causes, not bandaiding them or creating special snowflake workarounds. In this case, the root cause is server performance and not being able to handle 100+ players using their abilities.

I'm not suggesting this to be "The fix for pvp" or "This is how pvp should be". I'm suggesting this is in addition to the regular campaigns. I just think having a radical change every once and a while would be refreshing. We haven't had any new content and who knows when IC is coming.This would be something for people to try when they get sick of running into 50 man groups that stack on top of each other and spam one button. The best players in the gae have been reduced to this, and I'm not blaming them. I'm blaming ZoS for letting the meta become this.
    You run with HoD and been institutionalized that your only way of playing Cyrodiil is to advertise in zone "Type HD22 for invite" (or the likes) and stay on crown whereas SEVERAL seasoned players are running around in 6-12 man organized groups.

Yes, we spam zone chat and try to pick up pugs sometimes. We recognize that a large part of the DC population doesn't run with a pvp guild so we try to help them out. We have open training sessions every Saturday.We do what we can to teach people how to pvp. Never have we told someone "You aren't good enough (Don't spam enough steel tornado) so you can't run with us". We want to see healthy pvp in this game so we have leaders and officers take the time to teach them how to pvp.

There are nights where we do guild only pvp. last night we went up against a pop locked yellow faction while we were at two bars. Our twelve person group took keep after keep. Eventually when the entire hive of bees showed up we wiped, but took down twice as many as we were. You should have seen what Glade looked like, I didn't know they would allow that many people from one faction on one campaign.

Are we the most elite group of pvpers? No. But overall we have done more good for the faction than any group of 6-12 elite players have. We get non-guild members and rookie pvpers to do some great things and have a good time doing so.
    b]In comparison to World of Warcraft, you are playing the LFR (looking for raid) version of Cyrodiil and complaining about monotony. Try the Heroic or Mythic versions first.[/b]
    [/quote]

I have no idea what any of this means.
    Holy'Tone-V12 DC Temp

Worst NB NA

• Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So, without any AoE abilities, what would you do if a blob with 50 players stacked on the crown would come for you? Turn tail and run? Because good luck killing even one of the with your single target ability.

That campaign would be the epitome of zergs running around and no player kills at all, just constant keep flipping.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I have a single ultimate that could be used in such a campaign.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well, everyone apart from nbs would run with soul assault on both bars. (Or maybe Warhorn / Barrier, not sure if they are considered as aoe or not).
  • BigTone
    BigTone
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    I don't think I have a single ultimate that could be used in such a campaign.

Many ultimates that have an AoE component could be used but wouldn't have the AoE such as dragon leap, storm atro, meteor, etc
    Leandor wrote: »
    So, without any AoE abilities, what would you do if a blob with 50 players stacked on the crown would come for you? Turn tail and run? Because good luck killing even one of the with your single target ability.

That campaign would be the epitome of zergs running around and no player kills at all, just constant keep flipping.

If a 50 person zerg is coming for just me, I turn tail and run regardless.
    Holy'Tone-V12 DC Temp

Worst NB NA

• Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BigTone wrote: »
    If a 50 person zerg is coming for just me, I turn tail and run regardless.
    Unless you are part of a more or less similar size bomb group and proceed to blow up the zerg - or get blown up, depending on the lag god's mood ;)

What I meant was that while I personally don't like that style, with AoE you have an option to fight back, without you don't. Unless they implement target marking and auto target acquisition (a.k.a. "assisting") for group members.
    Edited by Leandor on June 24, 2015 1:19PM
  • Erondil
    Erondil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So no fear? :'(
    ~retired~
    EU server, former Zerg Squad and Banana Squad officer
    Dennegor NB AD, AvA 50 Grand Overlord 24/05/2016
    rekt you NB AD, AvA 32
    Erondil Sorc AD, AvA 23
    Denne the Banana Slayer NB EP, AvA 14
    Darth Dennegor lv50 Stamina NB DC, AvA 19
    Youtube Channel
  • Jolinius
    Jolinius
    ✭✭
    I support this fully
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would be kinda cool if only NBs and Sorcs could get into this campaign too. And the scoreboard could be a kill ladder instead of objective based so we could see who could be the highlander.
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • atomikrej
    atomikrej
    ✭✭
    Well there is already a campaign like that - blackwater blade. AOEs exist of course but are much less effective due to battle levelling and because characters lack passives that make skills powerful. Only problem is non vet is not everyone's cup of tea.
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes just mouse. Block/light/heavy/interrupt and no other skills would be radically different.
    Skill bar + ult disabled.
    Only weapon and armour choice
    Edited by Rune_Relic on June 25, 2015 10:05AM
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rune_Relic wrote: »
    Yes just mouse. Block/light/heavy/interrupt and no other skills would be radically different.
    Just be honest and say you want a 4v4v4 arena. I can't imagine more than these numbers would be interested in playing that campaign.

NB: Just kidding. Whatever floats your boat. ;)
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a good idea but give everyone the same hp, armor and gear like CoD so it is a true test of fast-scope skills rather than a bunch of non-combat zero pressure decisions made before combat.

It won't be wrestlingchess but it will still be fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJy8ZbNQov8
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leandor wrote: »
    Just be honest and say you want a 4v4v4 arena. I can't imagine more than these numbers would be interested in playing that campaign.

NB: Just kidding. Whatever floats your boat. ;)

Nah...seriously. Not bothered duelling, arena, realm vs realm.
    I think I would miss the gap closers though.
    They always seem so satisfying to use in the heat of battle with distant ranged opponents.
    No stuns other than heavy attacks.
    No snares.
    No CC.

Bow users could be an issue alas..more so nightblades :(
    And then there is the light/heavy CP bonuses everyone would max out too.
    It was a nice dream while it lasted lol.
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a good idea but give everyone the same hp, armor and gear like CoD so it is a true test of fast-scope skills rather than a bunch of non-combat zero pressure decisions made before combat.

It won't be wrestlingchess but it will still be fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJy8ZbNQov8

It would be nice to go up to an adversary knowing its all down to skill, timing and foresight.
    Where winning could be down to a simple mistake or a miskey on either side.
    .../daydreamsalittle

Too many people don't want epic 1v1 battles though (or group on group for that matter).
    They want 1 shot kills, instant wipes and next target (AP farmers).
    To me TTK should be at least 30 seconds...and days against well matched adversaries.
    Lets see who can keep it up endurance wise ;)

TTK of 30 seconds with PVP lag would be a distaster with the skill bar active.
    Edited by Rune_Relic on June 25, 2015 2:08PM