The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Connection Issues :(

ZombieTech
ZombieTech
✭✭
For awhile my connection wasn't too bad and typically great (for the past week or so when I first started playing the game, up until today), but today I can't log in and stay in. Longest I've been in is for 5 minutes (and even then when I was dropped, I was riding my horse through the countryside heading towards Deshaan with nobody else around, so it shouldn't be a massive load issue, which I typically don't have anyways), out of an attempted 20+ times to connect to the game. Longest times before that were perhaps in one to two minute spurts.

If it's not being dropped, I'm often times getting odd errors while logging in right after entering my password, or loading the game from character-select and then getting dropped, etc.

Even though I'm connecting via WiFi (running a hardline to this part of the house would be tricky and need a lot of cabling), I've run numerous speed-tests and have solid down/up speeds, reset both my cable-modem and router, checked for any firewall discrepancies or anything else (though, nothing's changed since yesterday) great latency, can web-browse, watch videos, even play other games fine. Just can't seem to get on and stay on ESO. :neutral:
S ▫ i ▪ M ▫ i ▪ L ▫ a ▪ R -^†^- C ▪ r ▫ E ▪ a ▫ T ▪ u ▫ R ▪ e ▫ S

★☆★☆★ ♪ 32 Year \☺/ Gaming-Veteran ♫ ★☆★☆★ [Confucius says]: ボウタイされている根本的な ~and~ 不要惊慌实际男子爱耶稣

My RIG: { FX-6300 3.5ghz [OC-able to 4+ghz] 6-Core (Tower), 8gb Ram, AMD Radeon HD R7 250 /w 2gb vRam, Win 8.1 64-Bit & Ubuntu 14.04 Dual-Boot/VirtualBox, 46" Samsung ultra-conversion 3D HDTV, & PS3 Gamepad + XPadder FTW! }
  • ZombieTech
    ZombieTech
    ✭✭
    PS - Not sure if it matters, in case anybody else has these issues and are wondering if it's a specific region... but I'm about 20-30 minutes outside of San Francisco, CA.

★☆★☆★ ♪ 32 Year \☺/ Gaming-Veteran ♫ ★☆★☆★ [Confucius says]: ボウタイされている根本的な ~and~ 不要惊慌实际男子爱耶稣

My RIG: { FX-6300 3.5ghz [OC-able to 4+ghz] 6-Core (Tower), 8gb Ram, AMD Radeon HD R7 250 /w 2gb vRam, Win 8.1 64-Bit & Ubuntu 14.04 Dual-Boot/VirtualBox, 46" Samsung ultra-conversion 3D HDTV, & PS3 Gamepad + XPadder FTW! }
    Options
  • ZombieTech
    ZombieTech
    ✭✭
    UPDATE: Well, ironically, not long after posting this, whatever the issue is seems to have cleared up, as I tried logging back in and have been able to stay in... for now. *knocks on wood*

For the record, my ping (PR) has been constantly between 100-200 which is typically where it's at since I started the game. In the past it's rocketed up, due to latency on my end typically, but today, haven't seen any real signs of latency issues while in game.

Options
  • BigM
    BigM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any way you can move comp just to hard wire it and see if it stops then at least you call provider and say it's the WiFi causing the issues if everything works fine when wire connected? At least that would be first thing I would try.

Had an issue with WiFi with Comcast and guy finally changed setting from 1 to 8 and it fixed it. Just a thought. :smiley:
    “The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking
    Options
  • ZombieTech
    ZombieTech
    ✭✭
    Sounds like that setting was the router channel -- already tried all channels, even "auto".

As for moving system to a wired-connection, sadly not really possible unless I want to unhook my entire desktop, carry it upstairs a floor, and to the other side of the house (really old house).

There is a computer connected up though right at the router, and as far as I can tell, internet is working perfectly fine on it -- di same speed tests, checks, etc. No issues, so pretty certain it's not the local networking.

Options
  • BigM
    BigM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZombieTech wrote: »
    Sounds like that setting was the router channel -- already tried all channels, even "auto".

As for moving system to a wired-connection, sadly not really possible unless I want to unhook my entire desktop, carry it upstairs a floor, and to the other side of the house (really old house).

There is a computer connected up though right at the router, and as far as I can tell, internet is working perfectly fine on it -- di same speed tests, checks, etc. No issues, so pretty certain it's not the local networking.

Unfortunately like I said it would be the first thing I would try. Just so we can tell if the problem is with the connection or system. Testing system(s) can be a pain and that is why support in games have such a hard time trying to find the problems, it isn't always the game. One game may run fine with the WiFi and one may not who can say why but we need to test it to find out.
    “The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking
    Options
  • ZombieTech
    ZombieTech
    ✭✭
    BigM wrote: »
    ZombieTech wrote: »

Unfortunately like I said it would be the first thing I would try. Just so we can tell if the problem is with the connection or system. Testing system(s) can be a pain and that is why support in games have such a hard time trying to find the problems, it isn't always the game. One game may run fine with the WiFi and one may not who can say why but we need to test it to find out.

Well, considering the same day it happened there were plenty of people also posting in this topic: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/180489/connection-issues#latest on various platforms, all having the same issue, and the issue still tends to happen off and on, while every other online game, service, etc works fine, speed-tests come in fine, no latency anywhere else, etc. Yeah, pretty certain it's not the system. :wink:

Options
  • ZombieTech
    ZombieTech
    ✭✭
    PS - I regularly configure my own router and local networking protocols and policies... pretty much anything beyond the modem.

Was a network engineer for a decade or so, also previous experience in IT, network securities, etc. So as far as isolating WiFi issues and finding where the hiccup resides, anything beyond the modem I can handle.

Now granted, one of the biggest headaches is trying to isolate connectivity issues. Because out beyond the modem, even with a proper packet-sniffer and/or traceroute, there's so many different issues it could be. Since a data-packet has to hop across several servers to reach its destination, if any one of the servers along the way is having issues or is compromised, that's enough for a latency-sponge right there. Then there's routing-issue in general like the whole recent Telecom-Malaysia/Level3 snafu... which they claimed they "fixed", but networks/servers not having the proper backbone to handle the brunt of routing, isn't something that's simply fixed by a couple flipped switches... the time they managed to "fix the problem" in, leaves me skeptical. Could also be neighborhood interference if anybody's running anything super high-frequency... anything from an over-amplified HAM radio to signal jammers, etc (there have been a couple odd neighbors to move in recently, so who knows). Heck, for all anybody knows, it could be even pranksters either DDOSing ESO directly, or services in between. *shrugs*
    Edited by ZombieTech on June 24, 2015 10:02PM

Options