Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Level 24 and am getting spanked. Need some advice.

Violynne
Violynne
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm thinking of starting a new character since my 24 lvl Khajiit NB w/Bow is getting her fur kicked. Now that mobs are hanging around in groups of three, I just can't win (or proceed in quests, which is annoying as hell). I've been trying to run around and kill things for some extra oomph, but that's just a waste of time.

Here's one big question I have: how does DW work in this game? I tried running around with two axes, but every time I hit LT, it wants to block rather than swing my other axe. Is there a skill I need to unlock (I don't see it).

I wasted quite a few skill points in this game, not really understanding how it all worked, and that's another reason I'm thinking of re-rolling. I try using my abilities during combat, but they're just not doing any damage I need it too. :(

Finally, one more question: I noticed many people are running around in heavy armor, which makes sense for tanks, but I prefer medium armor. Problem is, trying to craft two skills is draining me tirelessly (and sucking up skill points). How does one balance out two skills? It would be easier to just focus on blacksmith, but that seems like copping out to me.

Thanks and any advice you have will be greatly appreciated. :)
  • XGNShadowszz
    XGNShadowszz
    Soul Shriven
    Violynne wrote: »
    I'm thinking of starting a new character since my 24 lvl Khajiit NB w/Bow is getting her fur kicked. Now that mobs are hanging around in groups of three, I just can't win (or proceed in quests, which is annoying as hell). I've been trying to run around and kill things for some extra oomph, but that's just a waste of time.

Here's one big question I have: how does DW work in this game? I tried running around with two axes, but every time I hit LT, it wants to block rather than swing my other axe. Is there a skill I need to unlock (I don't see it).

I wasted quite a few skill points in this game, not really understanding how it all worked, and that's another reason I'm thinking of re-rolling. I try using my abilities during combat, but they're just not doing any damage I need it too. :(

Finally, one more question: I noticed many people are running around in heavy armor, which makes sense for tanks, but I prefer medium armor. Problem is, trying to craft two skills is draining me tirelessly (and sucking up skill points). How does one balance out two skills? It would be easier to just focus on blacksmith, but that seems like copping out to me.

Thanks and any advice you have will be greatly appreciated. :)

what console are you on? if your on xbox it will be a lot easier to explain things to you if you have a mic
    im a lv 40 NB and what it sounds like i can help you with what choises to make. send me a message on xbox
    GT: XGN Shadowszz
    if you dont have xbox then ill explain it here
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    XBox One - give me a sec to dig out my mic ;)
  • XGNShadowszz
    XGNShadowszz
    Soul Shriven
    Alright invite me to a party when your ready :)
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't really need to craft anything until past 50 at least, just de construct items you don't need and use your research every day.

Try getting all the sky shards on a map, do the public dungeon and do a few group dungeons for extra points which may help you.

Try looking at a few guides for a dw/bow build, plenty out there, so you get a base of combo, synergies and what general skills are useful.

The only perk which i recommend to get before 50 for crafting is the one that lets you research 2 traits at a time, it'll save a lot of time as high end gear needs a lot of traits per piece for you to be able to craft them.

If your really struggling, go back and do a few quests to be 3~ levels overleveled compare to mobs, explore, etc... as that also gives exp, there's no reason to rush the game.

Also medium armour is great for end game pvp, but for now just equip 5 heavy/1 medium/1 light, that way you'll level all of the skill trees as well as gain some survivability.
    Edited by leepalmer95 on June 21, 2015 1:48AM
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, scrap that idea. I don't know why, but I can't seem to send messages beyond my friends list. It's been that way since I bought the console. I tried checking settings, but it says service is unavailable. Sometimes, I really hate this damn console.
  • BurtFreeman
    BurtFreeman
    ✭✭✭
    hi, have a look at this discussion: "giving up on lvl 35 nightblade, help!"
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/1908957
    it may help you just a bit.
    i think nb is not so easy to play in the begin as other classes.
    Edited by BurtFreeman on June 21, 2015 1:53AM
  • XGNShadowszz
    XGNShadowszz
    Soul Shriven
    whats your gamertag ill invite you...
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Violynne B (with a space)
  • XGNShadowszz
    XGNShadowszz
    Soul Shriven
    i never told you the exact skills to use when we was talking so the skills you should use for you NB should be
    the assassin super with incapacitating stike morph (rb+lb)
    the first shadow skill with shadowy disguise morph
    the 4th assassin skill with reapers mark morph
    the first siphoning skill with funnel health morph
    the first dual wield skill with rapid strikes morph
    the 2nd dual wield skill with steel tornado morph

also for boss battles the 2nd shadow skill with concealed weapon morph
    and for pvp the 2nd assassin skill with either morph (i choose lotus fan its not that great)
    this i found is the best skill setup to use for NB then just use medium armour and dual daggers
  • RazzPitazz
    RazzPitazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your issue with DW is that you don't use anything to swing your left hand weapon, it automatically swings as you use the attack button. Light attacks in succession will cause a left-right-left attack, while a heavy attack uses both weapons.
    It really sounds like you need some Crowd Control abilities while protecting dodging.
    PC NA
    VR1 - Jar'eed - Khajiit Dragon Knight - AD
    VR1 - Broad Tail - Argonian Templar - EP
    All-Star Crafter Guild
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget to block and interrupt. Combat is very reactive, especially when in tougher fights.
    Learning when use these two skills (the most important skills we have for PvE, that's why everyone has them by default) can make all the difference in the world.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know this is old but someone may look this thread up. Best advice I got for my Lv 24 bow wielding NB was the siphoning funnel health skill/power. I was getting my butt kicked. Now I just continuously keep that power active during fights and I'm doing great. I steal their life and my health bar actually increases even when they are hitting me. Just keep using it. Pay attention to when your health stops increasing and hit the button again. It's a Magicka skill but I only have 4 points in Magicka and have plenty to continuously use my funnel health. I know that's not the only solution to making a good skill set but when you're not a Mag character and can't summon a familiar to take some of the heat off of you, funnel the enemies' health back to yourself. I have also put absorb health glyphs on all my weapons but I don't know how much I'm actually getting when I fight. I just know that I'm no longer getting my a$$ handed to me quite so much.

Block, interrupt, and dodge are absolutely important as was stated above because if you let them use their big moves on you too many times (sometimes even once), no amount of pulling their health into you will save you. I don't like to engage in close combat so I've adopted a destruction staff because it seems to fire faster than my bow. A good restoration staff can pull Magicka back to you if your supply for funnel health getslow.
    Edited by LadySinflower on October 30, 2018 6:58PM
  • Tucker3711
    Tucker3711
    ✭✭✭
    Getting spanked is the best way to learn... :p You improve the more you play a character. It takes a lot of patience and getting used to.
    @Tucker311- PC
    Tucker3711
    Nord Beth Rose (EP)
    Imperial Freya Var (DC)
    High Elf Hestia du foyer (AD)
    Wood Elf Epona Caoin (AD)
    Hotstuff Queen