Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why do they hit "my" mob?

ericoahu
ericoahu
Soul Shriven
I notice that other players frequently attack the mob I am already fighting. I don't mean they pull it at the same time or whatever--I mean that while I have been fighting, they'll come finish off the mob.

It doesn't really bother me. I just can't figure out the motive. I'm sure it isn't generosity and team spirit. Do you get some of the xp or a chance at the loot? Most games I've played, once a player hits a mob, only that player and group members can loot. Is that not true in ESO?
  • Talcon
    Talcon
    ✭✭✭
    You still get xp and loot, as well as quest completion if its a quest mob. Also, I have helped others for no reason if it looked as if they needed it. Ill heal random people or kill random mobs if it looks like the other person is at risk of dying.
  • SkinnyDG
    SkinnyDG
    ✭✭✭
    I also randomly help kill while passing by fights. *shrug*
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always do it when I to need the mob. Wait for 2-3 minutes re-spawn because some guy happened to hit it first, no thanks.

Sometimes I dont need the mob for an actual quest, but I want the exp. Than I attack everything in range, regardless of what other players are doing. So does everyone else. I mean mobs right now takes like 2-4 seconds to kill, so you have to be fast rather than polite, if you want exp in this game.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ericoahu wrote: »
    I notice that other players frequently attack the mob I am already fighting. I don't mean they pull it at the same time or whatever--I mean that while I have been fighting, they'll come finish off the mob.

It doesn't really bother me. I just can't figure out the motive. I'm sure it isn't generosity and team spirit. Do you get some of the xp or a chance at the loot? Most games I've played, once a player hits a mob, only that player and group members can loot. Is that not true in ESO?

Everyone gets XP and loot as long as they contribute enough damage or healing to the fight.
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Players have done this to me as well, but given the number of players, it's inevitable. I also help others out when I see they're outnumbered (I usually leave them alone if they're one-on-one).

At least I don't charge for my services. ;)
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It used to be the case in almost all MMOs that either the first or last player to hit something was the only one who got XP and loot.

But it seems they're increasingly moving towards the system ESO has where anyone who does enough damage gets it. (And also loot drops are player specific, so you can safely loot every enemy you can and never worry about stealing someone else's loot.)

I much prefer this system because it makes it much easier for random players to cooperate even if they're not grouped, which feels more natural. If I see someone struggling with a fight my first reaction is always to jump in and help, not to stay back to make sure I don't accidentally 'tag' something they need.

It also makes it much harder for other players to screw up your quest or whatever it is you're doing by stealing targets.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"