The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How do you RP in ESO?

onmylastnerve
Ok folks i just wanted to gather ways on how people have been RPing in ESO so far. I'm curious to find out what works and what doesn't. I'd prefer to RP with in-game text chat because its the back bone to any good RP online, however console's make that difficult. Please post your idea's of ways you or your guild has managed to go about doing this.
Edited by onmylastnerve on June 18, 2015 12:52PM
  • TheUnloved
    I would like to know as well. I don't just wanna go up to a group and start to RP and they have no idea what I'm talking about /doing.
    (PC}{AD} @TheUnloved
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yea.... Its tricky without text chat. And consoles dont have voice modulators i dont think... A bit tricky this one.
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • onmylastnerve
    RP is happening on the consoles correct? if so, are guilds utilizing only group chat via microphone/ headsets or maybe a third party provider? I think we as a community have not made the question "how to RP in ESO?" very clear to new and old RPer's.
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    RP is happening on the consoles correct? if so, are guilds utilizing only group chat via microphone/ headsets or maybe a third party provider? I think we as a community have not made the question "how to RP in ESO?" very clear to new and old RPer's.

My apologies that I can't answer fully as I have not activated my console transfer yet... I'm not sure how it's done on console. I imagine people are getting by with guild or party chat.... But again, that can be tricky.

I once knew a guy who was absolutely amazing at creating and coordinating scenarios. He was a professional writer. and I had a bunch of fun with him in general. But when we would get on voip, his accent made him nearly impossible to understand. I'm not sure how situations like that are playing out on console...
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • onmylastnerve
    Thanks for your input Shunravi much appreciated. It's a beautiful thing when you find someone like you mentioned. It makes RPing so much more fun.
    Any and all ideas are welcomed.
    Edited by onmylastnerve on June 18, 2015 4:04PM
  • RiegnFire
    RiegnFire
    I'm using the voice chat, just stretch you acting and improv skills :)
  • onmylastnerve
    Good ol voice chat is useful. Thank you ReignFire for your input.
    Voices can be great! Though if there are many voice chat guilds or RPers out there, I think that this maybe intimating to a RPer that does not understand how one goes about using voice to make thier character unique to his or her own character? I mean if ones voice had heavy accent then they and the group will have a hard time understanding what they are trying to RP. Lol I love just talking with you all about theses ideas keep them coming because they are all good! I'm just seeking all options here and talking them out with pro's and con's with the community.
  • WandersWithMoonlight
    I admit, I'm slightly wary of having to use my voice for RPing on here. Which is more a matter of personal preference. I'm not very good at doing voices, or even really role-playing in real time with, well, speaking. I'm better at improvising it with text chat. Which I guess is to say I could be good at improvising via talking if I wasn't really down on using my voice. I think I just like to let other people imagine what a character of mine sounds like as opposed to just...my default voice?
    People seem to think that's silly, and maybe it is, but it's how I operate. Haha.

Suppose I could just learn to, like folks, in the thread have already said, learn to expand my improv and acting skills. But part of me still hopes they implement text chat later. Haha.
  • Midnyte64
    Midnyte64
    WandersWithMoonlight, I agree with you completely, having been an RPer for years including Live Action RP. I have found that with certain people I am comfortable using my voice to voice my characters, typically those I have been RPing with for over a decade...but with others I don't want them to see my character and match it to my voice, I hate my voice for most of my characters if not all of them.
  • Ch3pewar
    Ch3pewar
    Usually anytime I play, im always un carachter, that way whe someone talk to me, I always responde as if I were my character, and even people that are not roleplayers end up roleplaying a bit as long as I heal lol. Is fun to play that way.
  • Rioghnan
    Rioghnan
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the voice chat on ps4. I am not going to be talking out loud pretending to be my character. I just wander around and think I'm my character like I have done since Morrowind and I treat the other players like npcs. If you're weird or interesting I might just walk over and stare shamelessly at you. My characters are always shameless weirdos like their creator lol. If you kick it and I see you lying there, I might sit on you. If I could poke you with a stick, I would. Sometimes I randomly follow people to see if they notice. Or invade their personal space. I find it strange that there are other players in this game. And kind of entertaining. So if you turn around and there's a tall white haired Altmer in a black Ordinator costume staring into your face, it might be Rioghnan. :)
    You die first!
  • FreddyFarkas
    One of my favorite things to do is to stand next to NPCs who are playing an instrument and whip out my own lute, drum, or flute and play next to them. It's funny to see some players walk up to you thinking you're an NPC. Or (and this is my favorite) another player will pull out his/her instrument and play with me and the NPC!! Lol it's awesome and hilarious. Another thing I do is do the "kowtow(?)" emote - the one that looks like you are worshiping someone. I just like to do funny stuff like that when I am bored.
    Someone probably has better advice than me.

Xbox One - x Compozure x
    Guild: Lock N Load (recruiting!)
  • SedoUmbra
    SedoUmbra
    ✭✭✭
    Shunravi wrote: »

My apologies that I can't answer fully as I have not activated my console transfer yet... I'm not sure how it's done on console. I imagine people are getting by with guild or party chat.... But again, that can be tricky.

I once knew a guy who was absolutely amazing at creating and coordinating scenarios. He was a professional writer. and I had a bunch of fun with him in general. But when we would get on voip, his accent made him nearly impossible to understand. I'm not sure how situations like that are playing out on console...

RP is minimal on console, I have 4 accounts of varying level and I often play with guild mates and friends but we can't RP with out a chat box.