The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Will console users be able to download and use mods?

chemicalsofwar
chemicalsofwar
Soul Shriven
I know it may be difficult to insert mods through consoles but I figured id ask anyways.
  • Vance.Frost
    Vance.Frost
    ✭✭✭
    Right now I don't think so but with Fallout 4 getting mods on Xbox One I wouldn't say it's impossible.
  • Trollwut
    Trollwut
    ✭✭✭
    The last message I read has been that they try to create a "Battle.net", where Mod sharing shall become easy.
    But it's rumors, so...
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now I don't think so but with Fallout 4 getting mods on Xbox One I wouldn't say it's impossible.

the "modding" of FO4 is completly different from the moding of ESO while the modding of FO4 will happien within the game engine, eso modding happens completly outside of it. and neither sony nor microsoft have allowed nor possibly will allow this as it opens alot of security breaches towards consoles...
    Edited by Tankqull on June 18, 2015 7:55PM
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Microsoft says no, sony says yes. Sony says no, microsoft says yes.

We say godbye to cross-platform gaming and things to improve the life of the game...
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • Robbie575
    Robbie575
    ✭✭✭
    It'd be great to have something, even a Windows Phone app to go along with the game.
    Xbox One NA server:
    Bayley Saur: Bosmer, Templar (AD)
    Constantine Mxyzptlk : Altmer, Sorcerer (EP)
  • Pawkette
    Pawkette
    ✭✭✭
    So I've been thinking about this a little bit.

I'm not familiar with the Xbox One requirements, but I know on PS4 apps have a small (relatively speaking) amount of space that they can download and write data to the hard drive. The amount of space here is probably wayyyy more than most addons would ever come near using. If Zenimax were to offer as part of the client an addon app store they could both curate and provide a means for console players to use addons.

The most immediate issue I can see though, is that allowing people to modify the client on console would pose a performance issue. Lua (the programming language that addons are written in) runs on the CPU, adding additional uncontrolled overhead to the CPU can easily cause increased frame times and lower frame rates.

There are other logistical issues too, such as testing and development of addons on console.
    I love Lua
    Mac: Pawkette< Templar, DC >
    PS4: Pawkette< Templar, AD >
  • Mirra_Halfelven
    Mirra_Halfelven
    ✭✭✭

The Fallout 4 mods are coming to PS4 too , its just the Xbox One gets them 1st ... timed exclusive thing
    Mirra Halfelven, Templar Troublemaker
    Daggerfall Covenant - PS4 NA
    PSN: Scooby_609
  • DemisedNinja
    Of course though, how is Sony and MS supposed to know that you have mods in game. There have been quite a few engines and software over the years that allowed you to mod aspects of games most of the time to benefit you and not others. So whose to find out if we build mods for say our maps that shows skyshards and lore books on consoles? Not like other players can report you for something they can't see.
  • CazP354
    CazP354
    Soul Shriven
    I really miss having a price checker like master merchant
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

The Fallout 4 mods are coming to PS4 too , its just the Xbox One gets them 1st ... timed exclusive thing
    No. Sony simply hasn't agreed to mods yet, but when they finish talking to Bethesda, both consoles should be able to get mods as soon as they're available. That is if Sony agrees.
    Edited by Rosveen on June 24, 2015 8:18AM
  • grass-assassin
    we shouldnt have to mod the game they should put in the ability to seee damage numbers and exp numbers .. how the hell is someone supposed to know if a build works better than there last one .. time how long to burn an enemy ? lol this is the only game i know of that doesnt allow you to see damage its very important specially for a dps ..
  • FrostGolem
    FrostGolem
    ✭✭
    i would really like some add ons to the game on console
  • Vezuls
    Vezuls
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to have access to
    1. a mod that showed numbers: health, magika, stamina, boss health, buffs/debuffs, and exp gain/AP gain
    2. Lorebook and Skyshard

However, I feel that number 1 is a must if we (console only players) are to actually do trials. Just my opinion.
  • Sol_131
    Sol_131
    Soul Shriven
    I know it may be difficult to insert mods through consoles but I figured id ask anyways.

I second this. It would be nice to even just see more numbers and stat information.
  • Shadowstep33
    Shadowstep33
    Soul Shriven
    Are the any api endpoints that allow us to collect/analyze data without actually modding the game UI? An external helper app
  • frostybroc
    frostybroc
    ✭✭
    While mods are a great thing for a console user, it comes with a dangerous price. I see consoles expanding "DLC" to include mods, and charge for them. Bethesda tried this with Steam and it failed, but with consoles it is a different story. I find console users are more susceptible to the marketing jargon from the console companies, so they would end enjoying to pay for it when it could be free.
  • Sol_131
    Sol_131
    Soul Shriven
    frostybroc wrote: »
    While mods are a great thing for a console user, it comes with a dangerous price. I see consoles expanding "DLC" to include mods, and charge for them. Bethesda tried this with Steam and it failed, but with consoles it is a different story. I find console users are more susceptible to the marketing jargon from the console companies, so they would end enjoying to pay for it when it could be free.

I have to agree to an extent. I can see them coming at a price wrapped into DLC's or for free in game patches. Your remark about console users being more susceptible to marketing jargon of console companies thus being fooled into paying for something that is "free" may only be half true. Yes, console users are more susceptible, but to what? If one is only willing or able to utilize a console for gaming then what is one to do other than pay for what they desire on the system or hope it comes in for free via a patch. So maybe it's ill found that the statement of being fooled into paying isn't the best assessment of why the slip into paying for "mod/add-on" content would occur if modding became an option on consoles and why it shouldn't occur.

The main thing I hope for are more straight forward "mods". For example, being able to turn on a UI feature to display more numbers and information. Things of this nature, not necessarily mods that let me be Mario in ESO. I could also imagine this would not be a good thing and quite improbable to exist in the MMO.
  • anthonyharrwb17_ESO
    anthonyharrwb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I was more thinking why couldn't they build some of them into the UI and add them as patches. I know some i would like to see on console (I also have a PC account) would be research timers and the one that shows you everything you have researched in a grid rather than having to go to workstation to look each on up. IT has a tick if you have researched it and makes it easy to see if you need to save something or can destroy it for mats.

Wouldn't mind lore books and skyshards either but I don't think they would do those ones.

I think they should have a look at the more popular add-ons and maybe talk to the devs or figure out how to make similar things part of the console ui. If they did i would also put in options whether you wish to use them or not as I am sure some people will protest just for the sake of it.
  • vudux
    vudux
    Soul Shriven
    we shouldnt have to mod the game they should put in the ability to seee damage numbers and exp numbers .. how the hell is someone supposed to know if a build works better than there last one .. time how long to burn an enemy ? lol this is the only game i know of that doesnt allow you to see damage its very important specially for a dps ..

/thread
  • FSOKRYPTO
    FSOKRYPTO
    Okay so instead of community created mods... they should provide us with in house add ons.. i'd pay some crowns for add ons... like.. tons of crowns haha
  • BigDuffy
    BigDuffy
    Will be interesting to see what the windows 10 base build for Xbox one brings to the console at the end of the year. It could be a new way of gaming for console players and could allow mods to be opened to Xbox one players. From what I have seen on the net it really sounds promising.
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't the vita an open source for mobile developers, couldn't Zos provide a kit so vita players could maybe make map packs and *** for shard and books

?
  • Pauliepablo
    I really hope we can use mods in future
  • Kholty22
    Kholty22
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what the mod is called on pc, but I would really enjoy seeing a timer of sorts for like shields, dot abilities, and ect. Just like on pc. Icon pops up when you apply any of those, and disappear when they need refreshed. Add it into the options like they have it to where you can see your skills at all times or only appear when you are in combat.
  • Fyrakin
    Fyrakin
    ✭✭✭
    Technically console UI is using scripts just like PC version, it is possible to adapt add-ons to support consoles. I would be happy to adapt my add-on as well, but there is no way to deliver them yet.
    NA Megaserver (810) - Fyrakin, Loremaster Fyrakin, Cartographer Fyrakin, Taskmaster Tobin, Zergas, Texa, Furnacius, Hextex
    EU Megaserver (167) - Fyrakin
    MiniMap author