The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why does my game constantly crash?

AirborneDiablo
I got the game the day it came out and have been playing it since then. On the first day, my game only crashed about 2 or 3 times. Everyday after that, it has crashed extremely often. To the point where it is almost unplayable. I even deleted the saved data and downloaded the game (and the huge update for it) again. Can someone help me? I really enjoy the game when it works but this is very annoying. Thanks.

Best Answer

• CuteLilBunny
    CuteLilBunny
    ✭✭
    Maybe Zos will answer yours I asked the same question.
    Shouriko Dark Elf Ebonheart Pact

When the housecat gives away your position.
  • AirborneDiablo
    I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but whenever I log back in, it gives me a UI error notification.
  • Gabriel_Froste
    Gabriel_Froste
    ✭✭✭
    Network instability. Slow connection. Two of many possibilities... these two are most likely though.
    Please Refer to my Blacksmith Manual
    Rambling Anti-Manual Manual
  • CuteLilBunny
    CuteLilBunny
    ✭✭
    they need to upgrade the megaserver or make i dunno separate servers?

• AirborneDiablo
    Network instability. Slow connection. Two of many possibilities... these two are most likely though.

That just doesn't make sense to me though. I don't get how it can boot me from the game so often!
  • CuteLilBunny
    CuteLilBunny
    ✭✭
    We sadly don't have the answer for that maybe a ZOS does?

• CuteLilBunny
    CuteLilBunny
    ✭✭

That just doesn't make sense to me though. I don't get how it can boot me from the game so often!

Trust me I made two posts for it still no answer.

• OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have only once experienced a "crash" ... triggered by a delay in login.

I transferred over from PC version with the primary intention of starting PC and bringing ESO over to a console, eventually opting for PS4 over XBOX One.

I noticed early days of PC there were crashes, log in issues but over time they seemed to be resolved. There was constant banter at the time that ESO was released still in beta.

Believe it or not it was exactly the sentiment (and the problems experienced) with World of Warcraft way back in vanilla WoW days. Not making excuses and one would think that with the experience of other MMOs new MMO developers should have learned how to avoid the same issues, but apparently not.

(WoW having lost subscribers over time have been merging servers that were created to cover demand. My guess is that a "megaserver" is conceptual only ... just means the log in is at the same place, but the hardware configuration is dynamic and that busy places in the open world will be instanced to cover demand, not just dungeons. I believe this to be the case as some people are reporting friends being in the same location but invisible to them and the friend reporting seeing different in-game activity with NPCs and other players)
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• CuteLilBunny
    CuteLilBunny
    ✭✭
    I honestly think these will get smoothed out next update, but I don't want to wait that long, I know the Zos are doing what they can I just wanna play the game.

• timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Becsause someone doesn't understand unit testing.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• AirborneDiablo
    Becsause someone doesn't understand unit testing.

Enlighten me then.
  • mrpaxman
    mrpaxman
    ✭✭✭
    I use PC NA server. This issue was confirmed by 3 of 3 other friends i have in the game. And myself as well. I am just waiting patiently for that magical update one day. As a rough indication i get it once every 1 to 8 hours of gameplay. What i am doing in the game seems to have no effect on causing the problem either. It seems completely random.

At least in this game we don't lose any saved progress. Imagine if we had to go back to the last saved game and redo a bunch of things. Like when playing skyrim and a rare crash did occur.

I am dredding the day i'm in a group. Then i crash. Which intern gets the rest of my group killed.
    Victory or Valhalla!
    PC NA
  • derwin0
    derwin0
    Mine will run no longer than 10 minutes before it crashes... :/

The "answer" given here was to blame Sony...
    Last time I buy a digital game from Bethsheda, no way to return it.
    Alliance: Ebonheart Pact
    RACE: Dunmer (Dark Elf)
    Server: NA (North America)
    Client: PS4
    PSN: Derwin0

Due to frequent crashes, I asked PSN for a refund. I might rebuy the game if they ever get their act together.
  • AirborneDiablo
    My game is no longer playable with the amount of crashes I am having. I can't even play for 5 minutes without crashing. This is ridiculous.
  • nickdelosreyes
    nickdelosreyes
    Soul Shriven
    Over the past couple days my game began crashing as well, and hopefully we're talking about the same thing. I managed to start playing the first day about an hour or so after the console release and didn't have any problems up until about 3 days ago. It wasn't until today that it finally became a hassle. I logged in just as usual and began playing. about 30 minutes into it it crashed and I reported the problem; logged in again, and then it happened again 10 minutes in this time. The third and final time it happened right after the loading screen. Only this time the screen went blue, and a message popped up stating that my game file has been corrupted.

Now maybe its just bad luck but upon exiting the message and closing the game, my whole playstation shut off and wouldn't turn back on. Once it finally did, it stated that I needed to manually update the console by inserting a usb with the update file on it. After a painstaking 2 hours trying to figure out what happened and numerous shut offs and reboots. I finally got it to work only to initialize it and erase everything. Luckily, everything was backed up via Playstion plus and the internet. but As we speak I'm still waiting for my game file to finish redownloading on to my playstation. Hopefully I don't run into any problems after this.

I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemies, Its definitely the work of a deadric god...
  • AirborneDiablo
    Has there been any acknowledgement by Zenimax that this is an actual problem they are working to fix?
  • nickdelosreyes
    nickdelosreyes
    Soul Shriven
    Has there been any acknowledgement by Zenimax that this is an actual problem they are working to fix?

I haven't seen anything. but hopefully they at least know of the situation and can offer some tips or advice as to what to do.
  • Zsteelo
    Zsteelo
    It would be nice to know if they are going to fix this. Mine will drop out to the start screen 4 out of 5 times I try to load into a new area.
  • Sausage
    Sausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure its crash or just disconnection? Theres tons of people playing, so disconnection happens.
  • AirborneDiablo
    Sausage wrote: »
    Are you sure its crash or just disconnection? Theres tons of people playing, so disconnection happens.

Mine is definitely crashing. It boots me to the playstation home screen and gives me a message that says an error occurred in the application.