Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

So How exactly do Sorcerers and Nightblades Tank?

JMadFour
JMadFour
✭✭✭✭✭
How do their particular styles of Mitigation and Aggro management work? or is that mosly the same regardless of class?

trying to decide which class to play on PS4, and those are the two that interest me most. Not really much interested in Templar or Dragonknight.

so between the Sorc and NB, which do you think is more fun, in Heavy Armor and Sword/Board?
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    The first you have to realise is that all classes are ok at any role cause besides class skills, you also got weaponskills and guildskills that are just as good.

However, in any build it is important to have synergy between the general skills, the class skills and the racial skills.

So a typical tank setup uses stamina, one hand+ shield and the undaunted skill inner fire (together with puncture, the only two taunt skills that will garantee the target agroing you)

As you need stamina for your damage mitigation (blocking), a sorcerer will have lil synergy for tanking cause there are no damage cause the class mechanics don't bring damage mitigation or extra stamina. Not saying they don#t tank, but they don#t have advantages like e.g. the dragonknight.

The nightblade has much better stamina and damagemitigation, but as the later is done with stealth, holding agro is a problem. Specially cause getting agro in the first place is a difficult task goes the way agro in general works and the lack of enduring taunts.

So the sorcerer has zero to bring for a tank but the basic abilities that all classes have. That means you don't see them tank a lot. Nightblade is better, but still less viable at it as e.g. a dragonknight.

keep in mind that racial skills are also a factor here. Although nords are better made for tanking, they actually overdo it and imperials are considered to be the best for tanking.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nightblades mitigation is not done with stealth, that was taken care of quite early in the game. Damage mitigation for NBs are using mirage or double take and through self healing. Swallow soul, refreshing path and sap essence makes you so much tankier than most other tanks. The power of NBs however lies in the fact that they are really good at resource management. They really make good single target tanks imo.

Sorcerer and dragon Knights are awesome in controlling the battlefield. Sorcerers however lag behind because of no reliable self heals to reduce the margin of error.

As a nb tank, I make full use of the siphon and shadow tree, esp sap essence and siphoning attacks. Add relentless focus to it and you will have stamina up always. This allows you to block more attacks and do more abilities. Generating ult is also important as bolstering darkness reduces damage by 60%. Soul tether too will help heal you and are simply awesome in groups.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sorc stack shields(Hardened Ward OP. Lightning Form for armor and spell resist buff is good, too). And we have a CC(Encase). And can apparently be quite awesome. I've been trying to tank with my sorc but I'm still experimenting(which doesn't mean I can't tank al vet dungeons including vCOA with my current setups, mind you). Lack of selfheals kinda sucks but there're ways around I suppose. But if you want easy tanking, yeah, don't go sorc:/ Can't say much about NB because it's only class I never played.
    Edited by Magdalina on June 14, 2015 5:08PM
  • boilers61b14_ESO
    From what I've seen in a year of playing, dragon knights and templars are the superior tanks. That being said I'm sure there are viable tank builds for night blade and sorcs. Sorcs do have one nice tanking skill: lightening form.
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magdalina wrote: »
    Sorc stack shields. And we have a CC(Encase). And can apparently be quite awesome. I've been trying to tank with my sorc but I'm still experimenting(which doesn't mean I can't tank al vet dungeons including vCOA with my current setups, mind you). Lack of selfheals kinda sucks but there're ways around I suppose. But if you want easy tanking, yeah, don't go sorc:/ Can't say much about NB because it's only class I never played.

Sorcs has a self heal mechanic, its the Clannfear. Problem is, you need to spend a few secs recasting it. But it is an awesome offtank, able to take down a minor tanky mob, and it heals you for 35% health. Thats huge. Sorcs also have lightning form, streak and Restraining prison. That, with bound armaments are awesome tank utilities. Sorc also have good affinity with magicka regen so going for a magicka tank on a sorc is not bad.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • WhiskeyJac
    WhiskeyJac
    ✭✭✭
    NB tanks are very good , you literally have unlimited resources thanks to siphoning strikes , Sap essence and swallow soul , for end game tanking drop caltrops and tank the boss in the caltrops with siphoning strikes on , the caltrops will trigger siphoning strikes and you will have Stam and magicka always ,, if you have less Stam spam sap essence it will heal a bit , also dps a bit but ultimately trigger siphoning strikes and get your resources back up, keep the swallow soul up and you will get your back health but if are at assault 10 use vigor one of the best Stam heals and also keep popping one of shadow abilities every ten seconds cause you will proc the shadow barrier passive which will give you 5k spell and armour resistance for 10 secs better use refreshing path which will heal and in turn proc siphoning strikes.

Basically NB tanking revolves around procing siphoning strikes to keep up your resources and u will be doing some dps while tanking unlike Templar or dk tanking where you literally use your defensive abilities to manage your resources NB tanking is all about you using offensive skills , which makes it super fun.