Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [EXTENDED] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 4:00PM EDT (20:00 UTC)

Creating a Healer, need advice!

DovahkiinPrincess
DovahkiinPrincess
Soul Shriven
I am a Healer, very new to such a role. Because I am a mage is it best to wear light armor? I want to wear heavy for the protection but I'm worried this could have a negative impact on my movement and speed. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • Elloa
    Elloa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey hey!

Healer is bets to wear Light armor. Heavy armor will have no effect on your movement and speed (this is not skyrim), but it will not beneficiate you as healer.

Sorry to refer again to this video, but I think it will help you! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfRW_USZK9Y
  • Aett_Thorn
    Aett_Thorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is likely best to wear two pieces of heavy armor for the protection (chest, head, and legs give the most bang for their buck) and then use the other five slots with light armor. This will allow to to get the full use out of a "full set" of light armor the way the game calculates it, while still being able to take a hit or two.
  • Tadhg_Longhouse
    Tadhg_Longhouse
    ✭✭✭
    It is worth wearing one medium and one heavy piece of armor even while leveling so you can rank up the skill lines, but you should wear at least 5/7 light for the passive bonuses.

Once you level up your undaunted skill line the passive gained from that also benefit any role greatly if you wear a mix of all armor types. Having 5 pieces of light is still recommended for healers however.

Protection isn't a big issue if you are a mage (sorcerer?). Light armor gives you spell resistance anyway, so your only real issue is physical attacks, and as a healer you should only really have to worry about ranged physical attacks. You could use a damage shield such as conjured ward or use bound armor and/or lightning form to boost your armor, but with a decent allocation of HP you can generally just heal yourself out of any damage you might take.

As a sorcerer the main issue you'll have right now is convincing anyone you are as good as a templar at healing. Outside of 12-man content sorcerer healers are perfectly viable.
    Tadhg Longhouse
    Reachman Sorcerer
    Aldmeri Dominion
  • DovahkiinPrincess
    DovahkiinPrincess
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you all for your help! I've actually ditched the Sorcerer and picked Templar from Tadhg_Longhouse's advice. I will wear two pieces of heavy armour with the rest being light. I don't want to sound completely ***, but how does just wearing light armour help with spell resistance? Do you have to wear armour that is enchanted? Or does just simply wearing it help?

Thank you for telling me about the Undaunted skill line passive, that sounds really awesome!

Aett_Thorn thank you kindly for your really clever insights into armour. I've put everything you've said into practice and you're spot on. All of you are.

Elloa, your video was really insightful. I wish I'd seen it before i started this discussion. Thank you for putting my mind at ease with armour weight.

Thank you everyone for all of your help, thanks to you guys I'm a pretty successful Healer!
  • colejames
    colejames
    I don't want to sound completely ***, but how does just wearing light armour help with spell resistance? Do you have to wear armour that is enchanted? Or does just simply wearing it help?

There is a passive under the light amour section called "Spell Warding".

It increases base Spell Resistance by a certain percentage, the percentage increases the more pieces of light amour you have equipped.
  • colejames
    colejames
    colejames wrote: »
    I don't want to sound completely ***, but how does just wearing light armour help with spell resistance? Do you have to wear armour that is enchanted? Or does just simply wearing it help?

There is a passive under the light amour section called "Spell Warding".

It increases base Spell Resistance by a certain percentage, the percentage increases the more pieces of light amour you have equipped.

Sorry at rank 2 the percentage is 8% per piece of light armor equipped
  • Caesar Tantalia
    Caesar Tantalia
    ✭✭✭
    you have some very good advice here - wanted to add one more thing:

check Tamrielfoundry - that website has tons of builds, theorycrafting, ... If you don't like to mimick a certain build, you will at least learn alot on do's and dont's - a must read for anyone basically.