Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

A lot of questions new to eso console.

pursuer
pursuer
Soul Shriven
Hey this is my first mmo and I'm curious of alot of things.
1. When I'm playing I seem to randomly level up skills like my healing skill for Templar why would the skill out of no where or is this server lag. Also speaking of leveling does my class skills level from using them or just by being in combat like basically how do I level the class skills.
2. Recipes I almost have all my bank and inventory full of ingredients because I can't make food or potions without recipes how do I inquire them?
3. It appears I get exp from quests I think because I leveled like 8 skills from completing one quest and some weren't even combat skills. Where does it say what exp I get from completing quests. Sorry for all the questions but I can't find anything accurate online the forums.
  • Jeckll
    Jeckll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    pursuer wrote: »
    Hey this is my first mmo and I'm curious of alot of things.
    1. When I'm playing I seem to randomly level up skills like my healing skill for Templar why would the skill out of no where or is this server lag. Also speaking of leveling does my class skills level from using them or just by being in combat like basically how do I level the class skills.
    2. Recipes I almost have all my bank and inventory full of ingredients because I can't make food or potions without recipes how do I inquire them?
    3. It appears I get exp from quests I think because I leveled like 8 skills from completing one quest and some weren't even combat skills. Where does it say what exp I get from completing quests. Sorry for all the questions but I can't find anything accurate online the forums.

1) You level skills by getting XP from any source (killing mobs, exploring, turning in quests) by simply having the skill on your active ability bar. You also level the whole Trees from what the skills you use are taken from that way.

2) Recipies are drops from mobs but mostly found in chests, desks, cupboards etc.
    Edited by Jeckll on June 12, 2015 8:45AM
    Jeckll has quit the game. Thanks for the great time.
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    1: When I'm playing I seem to randomly level up skills like my healing skill for Templar why would the skill out of no where or is this server lag. Also speaking of leveling does my class skills level from using them or just by being in combat like basically how do I level the class skills.

A: three things. The first is that you level skills for having them on your bar and you do so by any xp you gain (some skilllines like the magesguild level differently). So many things can level it. Are you sure it happens out of nowhere??
    Also: messages are queued and shown in somekind of priority. So for example, if you finish a quest that finishes a questline. You get first a message you finished the "name of the location". Then you often get a message you gained a skillpoint for this. If you levelled up, then you get the message that you gained a level. Again another skillpoint. then it comes to all the skilllines you levelled up.
    Last of all. You also gain points in skilllines from reading certain books in bookcases. If not aware of that mechanic, it might seem to happen out of nowhere.

2: Recipes I almost have all my bank and inventory full of ingredients because I can't make food or potions without recipes how do I inquire them?
    A: Containers are you best source for recipes. So open all cupboards, urns, pots, crates, etc and look whats inside. If the icon to look inside is red, you can only steal the item (and launder it in the refugee). To do so, make sure you know the way to the refugee (in case you get caught). Crouch next to the container and wait till you are hidden. Then press interact and take the item.

3: It appears I get exp from quests I think because I leveled like 8 skills from completing one quest and some weren't even combat skills. Where does it say what exp I get from completing quests.
    A: As far as I know, there is no indicator in game of the amount of xp a quest will give. In short, the amount depends on three things.
    a: The level the quest is designed for.
    b: Your level and how far above or below it is to the level the quest is designed for.
    c: The difficulty level multiplyer (hard quests are giving more xp).
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Leveling
    This page is doing a good job in explaining it all with the numbers involved.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU