Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Class skills vs weapon skills?

Castile
Castile
I'm a "new" player in a manner of speaking and I'm struggling to comprehend the division between class and weapon skills, specifically I just don't really grasp when you would choose to slot a weapon skill instead of a class skill provided they are of similar scope IE a class damage skill and a weapon damage skill. Could someone give me any specific examples of what skills they would slot over a similar class or weapon skill and explain a bit about why they consider it a good choice? ESO's open-ended skill choices, while refreshing, leave me confused when I feel like I can't find much complimentary effects outside of each skill tree as well as leaving my choice of weapon feeling kinda arbitrary.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a question I'm not sure people can answer unless they give you an entire build to use. The choice REALLY depends on how you play, some people play better with certain skills than others. The idea to have weapon vs class skills is to offer variety, as well, you can only use a weapon skill on a bar that you have that type of weapon slotted on.

As a new player you probably don't want to spend huge amounts of time thinking about this.. what will most likely help you better in the long run is mix and matching, levelling up multiple abilities - so they are each stronger and you had a chance to actually experience them. Once you have used the skills you may have a better grasp of "Of I should use skill A then skill B right after". Seeing and using the effects will do far better justice than just reading tooltips.

Most people will use a mix of weapon/class skills. What is really nice, is let's say you use a bow - which is generally for range, but you run into needing a melee skill sometimes. Well, on that same bar, you may have a melee class skill you can put on it, since you wouldn't be able to put, say, a sword melee skill on your bow bar.

As well, it obviously gets deeper than that, major/minor buffs can't overlap, certain skills will buff specific other skills - but that more detailed answer I'll leave for someone with more experience in that area.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord