Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

A few newbie Q's

SirGreenDay
I'm new to ESO. I'm a PS4 player and I have a few quick Q's.

1. I want to add an enchantment to a Cuirass. The preview shows that it'll add 70 Max Magika. This is in green. But on the right side of the preview window, it says, "Adds 106 Max health", but its red. Does that mean I'll lose the 106 Max health benefit?

2. I'm using a MAPLE LIGHTENING STAFF OF FLAME on my main hand. When I use it, it shows lightening and not flame. So is this considered as dealing lightening or flame damage?

3. How do the maps work I got as part of the Preorder.

4. The bank says you can store Crafting materials and they'll still be usable when you need them. Which items are crafting materials? I don't see a specific "Crafting" category like "ingredients" or "raw materials".

5. Sometimes, only 1 quest from my quest list appears in the quest log. Why is this?

Thanks so much. I'm really loving this game.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not know some of these answers for sure, but I'll take a stab at it.

3. Once you have the maps in your inventory, "use" them and view the map. You then need to find that place in game - the treasure maps are labelled by what zone the treasure is in. Once you find that spot, make sure the map is in your inventory, you'll see a pile or dirt on the ground that is interactable - interact with it and a chest will appear. Open the chest. The map DOES disappear from your inventory once you find the treasure
    4. Crafting matierals are a variety of items. Ingredients are a crafting material for provisioning, runes are a crafting material for enchanting, "iron ore" or "iron ingot" etc. is a crafting material for blacksmithing. You'll get to know these quite well after awhile.
    5. I'm not sure.. do you mean on screen while you're playing only 1 quest appears? That's how it works for me, as as far as I know.. how it's supposed to. Could be wrong though.

Oh, and as far as crafting goes.. if you want you can check out my guides on youtube. I have a general crafting guide that covers all the crafts, plus a guide on each craft on it's own. That may help you understand crafting a bit better

youtube.com/missbizz
    Edited by MissBizz on June 10, 2015 3:39PM
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1- When enchanting an item that already has an enchant on it, the new enchant will remove the old enchant. If it's a set item and lists bonuses for the number of items worn with that set name, those bonuses will stay even if you re-enchant it.

2-The staff should be a Lightning Staff with a Flame Enchant on it. So the effect you would see would be lightning bolts from it. If it said Maple Flame staff of Lightning, you would see fire damage from it.

3-I'm assuming your talking about "Treasure Maps" for this. Those are locations where special treasure can be found. You need to find the location of the treasure from the geographic references on the map. Or you can cheat and google the map locations to shorten the search time.

4-Any item used in any of the crafting abilities when placed in your bank will be available to use when your at a crafting table. So metal, wood, cloth, runes, plants, provisioning materials etc will all be there. You won't need to have them on your character to use.

That's all I have time for, hopefully someone else can address the quest log for you.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • ZOS_Ann
    ZOS_Ann
    ✭✭
    We moved this thread to a more appropriate subsection of the forums for the topic. Happy Gaming!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited Moderation Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. I want to add an enchantment to a Cuirass. The preview shows that it'll add 70 Max Magika. This is in green. But on the right side of the preview window, it says, "Adds 106 Max health", but its red. Does that mean I'll lose the 106 Max health benefit?
    Yes, items may only have one enchantment at a time. If you want to add a new one you will have to overight the old one. Health Enchantments always give a little more than Magicka or Stamina ones.
    2. I'm using a MAPLE LIGHTENING STAFF OF FLAME on my main hand. When I use it, it shows lightening and not flame. So is this considered as dealing lightening or flame damage?
    You will be doing lightning damage with your heavy/light attacks or destruction staff skills, the "of flame" is the enchantment on it and this will add bonus fire damage to attacks every proc of it (I believe they have a six second cooldown).
    You will have several containers holding maps for every zone in the game. When you open the containers you will have maps in your inventory, using one shows you a artwork picture of a location in that zone. You will have to hunt around to try and find it (or use a website with a guide if you just want to get the items) then there will be a mound of earth which you can dig up a chest containing some blue items scaled to the level of that zone.
    WARNING: It's highly recommended that you don't open all of these containers at once as they will take up massive inventory/bank space with maps. Simply open the containers for your starting faction and use those maps first, then the coldharbour one before moving on to the VR areas (other faction zones) and using the container for that factions maps.
    If you have already opened the containers and have all the maps, make a character on your account to work as a "mule" which you can make hold all your maps until you reach the zone you need them (transfer them back and forth via the bank).
    4. The bank says you can store Crafting materials and they'll still be usable when you need them. Which items are crafting materials? I don't see a specific "Crafting" category like "ingredients" or "raw materials".
    Any raw or refined materials for any of the crafting jobs. Things like Iron, Wood, Provisioning materials etc will all show up when you're at the crafting bench for that type of craft.
    WARNING: All items and gear will also show up via you bank, so if you store anything you want to keep and use later be careful not to break it in deconstruction or research.
    5. Sometimes, only 1 quest from my quest list appears in the quest log. Why is this?
    Not sure about this one sorry.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • MCMancub
    MCMancub
    ✭✭✭✭

1. I'm not quite sure what is being asked here.

2. Maple Lightning (the element type of the staff) Staff of Flame (the enchantment type on the weapon). So it's a lightning staff that deals extra fire damage from its enchantment. It deals both types of damage.

3. The CE maps you get are treasure maps. You look at them and try to find the location it's referencing. When you approach the right location and the map is in your inventory, you'll find a mound of dirt you can dig up a chest from.

4. It depends on the level. For starter levels (like I am assuming you are), the crafting materials are Iron (Iron Ore and Iron Bar), Maple (Rough Maple and Sanded Maple), Jute(Raw Jute and Jute), any food runes, or herbs you find, and natural water.

5. You can accept multiple quests at once, but they are categorized in your quest log. Expand each category to see the quests in that category. You can only track one quest at a time.
  • LunaRae
    LunaRae
    ✭✭✭✭

Hi SirGreenDay,

Welcome to ESO - just want to preface this with I am a PC player (multiple V14, since beta), so apologies if there are differences :smile:
    1. There are two types of equipment slots, large and small. Your Helmet, Chest, Legs and Shield are considered large and they give a bigger bonus to any enchantment (Health/Magika/Stamina). Gloves, Belt, Boots and Shoulders give a small bonus. Also, look at the armors enchantment. If it is enchanted as "Infused" it increases the Health/Magika/Stam bonus by a flat percent, which is also larger based on the equipment slot. And yes it sounds like your Cuirass is already health enchanted, you can't have multiple enchants. So you would give up 106 health for 70 magika. At anytime in the future though you can re-enchant if you change your mind :smile:
    2. Your Lightning staff of flame does both lightning and flame damage. Basically it will trigger two types of damage, one is from the lightning basic attack (light or heavy) and this is pure lightning damage. Then if your staff has charges it will proc the flame damage as a separate source, which will be pure fire damage.
    3. If they're the same treasure maps I received then basically they show a picture where treasure is! Kind of like X marks the spot for pirate treasure :wink: You can cheat and look them up online, or more fun is to try and find where these locations are in the game. Some of them can be very challenging, while others are easier.
    4. Crafting items are things like Ore's used to make heavy armor, Lumber to use Shields or Bows or Cloth to make light armor. Crafting items are basically "ingredients" as you think of them, and they are items that won't be usable by themselves, but end up making bigger things. These categories include Armor Crafting, Weapon and Shield Crafting, Potion Making and Food/Drink making. If you look in your inventory you should (not sure about the console ver.) have a material category, to give you an idea of what items are crafting items.
    5. I'm not 100% sure but you can hide quests from appearing, check your quest log to make sure they are selected to appear in your quest tracker (quest list)

If the information about leaves you with any other questions let me know, have fun out there :smile:
    Edited by LunaRae on June 10, 2015 3:41PM
    Stands-Strong-As-Snow ~ Argonian Templar DC NA V14
    Ytheri ~ Argonian Nightblade EP Thornblade NA V14
    Heals-All-Colours ~ Argonian Templar EP Thornblade NA V14
    Stands-In-Still-Waters~ Argonian Sorcerer EP Thornblade NA V2
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome!

1. Yes. You can only have one enchant per item. You can replace it with another enchant, but doing so will remove the previous one, so you have to choose.

2. This is in two parts: As it's a Lightning Staff, it'll always do Lightning damage, but you can add an enchant to it (which is the "of flame" part - it has a fire enchant). That will also add fire damage, but only if the staff is charged. You can charge weapons using filled soul gems (it's a good way to use up soul gems you've outleveled). There are a number of enchants you can put on weapons, from the base Fire/Frost/Lightning to Absorb Health/Magicka/Stamina, shield, poison, armor reduction and so on.

3. If you have the map in your inventory and you go to the place depicted on the map, you will come across a "Dirt Mound" that only you can see. Dig there and you will find a chest with treasure. Apart form the CE maps, there are also several "normal" treasure maps that drop from mobs or you find in treasure chests.

4. Any items from the "materials" tab (the tool icon) in your inventory are crafting materials. This includes ore/wood/fibre/leather, refined metals/wood/cloth, improvers, alchemy solvents and reagents and all provisioning. If they are in your bank, your crafting characters can access them from the appropriate crafting station. If they are in another character's inventory, they will not be accessible.

5. I'm not quite sure, because I think you are playing on console, but are you talking about the "Focused Quest"? You should be able to go into your Journal and select whichever quest you want as your focused quest.

I hope that helps!

The Moot Councillor
  • traigusb14_ESO2
    traigusb14_ESO2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1. yes. the item alredy has a health enchant on it, and you would replace it with the Magika one.

2. The staff does lightning damage and has a lightning effect, but does a little extra fire damage sometimes (a proc) added to it by an enchantment Each effect hits target separately.. So the lightning would hit normally, while the fire would do a little more damage to a vampire.

3. Don't take them out a of the bag. You can't put them back in. Only take the ones out for the zone you are in.

4. All of them, raw wood, refined wood, trait gems, racial rocks.. food/drink items, all gyph stuff can be used from bank.

5. not sure what this question means... maybe you are filtering it ?
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To add to what has already been said:

1. I'm having trouble understanding exactly which number you're talking about is where. When you go to enchant an item that already has an enchantment on it, the window should have 3 different places where you can see numbers for enchants. At the top middle of the window will be the glyph that you're selecting to enchant the item with. This will show the base enchantment value for that glyph. It's important to note that this is the base value, because it isn't necessarily what the end result of the enchantment will be - if the item is a piece of armour for anything aside from the 3 'big' pieces (head, chest, legs) then the final value will be much less (I want to say it's only 40%, but I don't remember the numbers for sure), but if the item being enchanted has the Infused trait then the final value will be increased by a certain percentage. At the bottom left will be the value of the enchantment that's already on the item. At the bottom right will be the preview of what the enchantment value will be if you go ahead and click enchant. The new enchantment replaces the old one - it does not add to it.
    2. If it's a lightning staff, its base attacks are considered lightning damage. If it's a lightning staff of flame that means that in addition to the damage caused by its base attacks, it has a flame enchantment on it. A weapon enchantment doesn't go off on every single attack that you make with that weapon (it's got a cooldown, but I can't remember how long that cooldown is), but when it does go off it does additional damage on top of the base damage of your weapon attack. This additional damage will be of the type that the enchantment says. So when you make an attack with your lightning staff and the enchantment goes off, you'll do the base damage of the attack as lightning damage, and the additional damage from the enchantment as flame damage.
    3. Nothing more to add to what's already been said on this one.
    4. Nothing more to add to what's already been said on this one.
    5. Only one quest is supposed to show on-screen at a time when you're not in your actual quest screen. If you're talking about only having one quest show up in your actual quest screen, even though you have more pending quests than that, the only thing I can think of is that the other quests are in different categories. Quests are divided up based on the type (main quest, guild quests, crafting quests) and zone. In your quest screen the category that your currently active quest is in will be expanded by default, and the other categories will only have the title of the category visible unless you select them.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • ladymeba
    ladymeba
    Soul Shriven
    I'm new too - but I had the same as your question 5 - after a fair while of pulling my hair out i worked out that the game filters by area and I'd stepped into the next area by mistake... Check your map and go back to the area it was in... And your other quests should come back...Does that make sense?
  • SirGreenDay
    MCMancub wrote: »

1. I'm not quite sure what is being asked here.

2. Maple Lightning (the element type of the staff) Staff of Flame (the enchantment type on the weapon). So it's a lightning staff that deals extra fire damage from its enchantment. It deals both types of damage.

3. The CE maps you get are treasure maps. You look at them and try to find the location it's referencing. When you approach the right location and the map is in your inventory, you'll find a mound of dirt you can dig up a chest from.

4. It depends on the level. For starter levels (like I am assuming you are), the crafting materials are Iron (Iron Ore and Iron Bar), Maple (Rough Maple and Sanded Maple), Jute(Raw Jute and Jute), any food runes, or herbs you find, and natural water.

5. You can accept multiple quests at once, but they are categorized in your quest log. Expand each category to see the quests in that category. You can only track one quest at a time.

How are quests categorized?

In my quest log I simply see the quests.

There are no categories to expand. Thy don't even show what level they are. That's another question I have.

How do you tell what level a quest is? This is the first MMO ive ever played that doesn't tell you the level of a quest. The color coding is totally useless, because I have done RED quests that were my level.

The log doesn't even show WHERE the quest is located.

Its just weird the ZOS left out this BASIC info

Every quest should show, its level and location.

Anyway, is the quest log different in the PC version? Does it give you level info, location, categories etc? Not just the quest name?

Thanks again for everyone's help.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How are quests categorized?

In my quest log I simply see the quests.

There are no categories to expand. Thy don't even show what level they are. That's another question I have.

How do you tell what level a quest is? This is the first MMO ive ever played that doesn't tell you the level of a quest. The color coding is totally useless, because I have done RED quests that were my level.

The log doesn't even show WHERE the quest is located.

Its just weird the ZOS left out this BASIC info

Every quest should show, its level and location.

Anyway, is the quest log different in the PC version? Does it give you level info, location, categories etc? Not just the quest name?

Thanks again for everyone's help.
    Maybe the quest log is different in the console version: I haven't seen it. In the PC version it will only show categories to expand/collapse if you actually have quests from more than one category - if all of your quests are in one category then they should all just show by default. The details of a particular quest (including the level and a description of what you are supposed to do - which usually tells you where you should go) should show when you have that quest highlighted.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)