Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Level 8 , should I grind already ?

HerculesGL
Ive just hit level 8
My problem is I can't find any more quests that are suitable to my level.
The only ones I can find are level 10+
Am I not looking hard enough or should I just grind already ?

Best Answer

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Danikat wrote: »
    This game is a bit odd in that after the introduction
    Per player request. One of the bigger design errors by ZOS, they should not have listened to the people who wanted everything at level 1.
    In the old days, you were dropped off at the starter island for your faction after the prison but some people complained that they couldn't leave the island until they had finished a quest so ZOS decided the right way to fix that is to dump everyone into the next zone.
    dry.gif
    I have a word for those people: idiots. Seriously, listening to them was one of the absolute biggest mistakes ZOS has made. I literally cannot count the number of new players who I've spoken to who struggled with the game in one way or another because they had no idea that they were supposed to go and do the starter islands first. Back at PC launch I was one of them.

I really wish the people who bitched and moaned about this could be publicly shamed for all of the grief that they selfishly caused for new players.

I wholeheartedly agree with this post. As a brand new player on XBox, I assumed that finding myself in Auridon was my starting point for the Aldmeri Dominion, and completed a couple quests. If I hadn't been watching some early gameplay video and doing research in the wiki yesterday, I would've never heard of Khenarthi's Roost or known that it was my actual starting point with a quest to travel to Auridon. Fortunately, I wasn't so far into the game that it couldn't be fixed easily.
    Yeah, back at PC launch over a year ago I was seriously struggling with the quests in Daggerfall because it didn't make sense to me that I should go somewhere else to quest before doing the quests in the area where I woke up. It seemed logical that you start in your starter area, so I assumed that I was in the starter area. It was only after getting frustrated enough with one boss (who killed me over and over) that I finally decided to leave and come back later - that's when I went to the starter islands and everything was so much better and easier after that.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
    Answer ✓
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You are missing a LOT. Try using destinations addon to find things you missed. Also do not avoid combat; just do it intelligently (which is to say move or die).
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where are you at?

Did you do the Starter Islands?
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Romo
    Romo
    ✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    You are missing a LOT. Try using destinations addon to find things you missed. Also do not avoid combat; just do it intelligently (which is to say move or die).

Chuckle... he may be an Xboxer or that other one....

• newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm good point.

In that case I'd suggest looking at your maps, and then using the little 'f' tool to make sure you have explored everywhere you can get to
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Rinmaethodain
    Rinmaethodain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you look at your map. You will find symbols like cities, ruins, torch (for dungeon) or eyes and trees.

The symbol might be on map from the start or only when you travel close to it. Then when symbol is mostly black, it means you did not complete a quest in that area (usually there are 2-3 quests per area). When the symbol turns to mostly white it means you cleared out this area from all quests.

This game requires very little grinding especially in low lvls. I have gone trought lvl 1 to 50 without any grinding. Just completing all quests in zone was enough to get me to next zone lvl.

If you will grind too much at start you might find situation where you "outlevel" zone. You will be lvl for example 16 while zone is lvl11. In this case you wont be getting any experience from kills.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you go to the starter island?

This game is a bit odd in that after the introduction (The Wailing Prison) it drops you in the first major city for your alliance and you then have to go to the actual starting zone by following the quest you get from the Prophet.

If you go to the island and do the main quest there, plus look out for other quests as you're going along (many of them will tie into the main quest), then do the quests in and around the main city it should be more than enough to get you to at least level 10.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You almost definitely missed the starter islands. If you did them, you should be about level 8 by the time you're done without having done any quests in your alliance's first full zone. What alliance are you, and where have you been questing?
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Caesar Tantalia
    Caesar Tantalia
    ✭✭✭
    Silly hint but look at the map - if there is something on the map that looks interesting - go take a look - there is prob a quest hub you missed.

A road leading to a spot and you don't have a completed quest hub there?! - probably a quest hub again or dungeon you missed.

I tried to complete everything before moving on and I significantly outleveled content.

Final hint - if you didn't receive the adventure award for the zone you are in - you havrn't completed around 80% of the zone.
  • HerculesGL
    Indeed I am one of the Xbox delinquents.
    What are these starter islands you speak of and how do I get there ?
    Thanks
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HerculesGL wrote: »
    Thanks
    For the specifics it depends on which alliance you're in, but for all 3 alliances there is a quest giver just a little bit outside of where you first woke up after completing the Coldharbour intro/tutorial. That quest giver will give you a quest that sends you to a boat or ship at the docks, and that boat/ship will take you to the starter island and kick off the starter island main questline (and while you're at the starter islands don't just follow the main questline you've got - explore and you'll find other side quests and areas of interest - this goes for the entire game).

Note that Daggerfall Covenant and Ebonheart Pact each have 2 small starter zones. You get to the second one by completing the main questline of the first starter island. Aldmeri Dominion, on the other hand, has just 1 starter island, although it's bigger, and with content about equivalent to the content each of the other alliances has in their own 2 starter zones.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • RazzPitazz
    RazzPitazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Youre best bet from here on out;
    any area you enter that seems to have a massive problem probably has more than 2 quests, these are concidered quest hubs. You should run around the town/farm/whatever (keep an eye on your compass for new quests) pick up as many as you can find and try to knock them all out. If you do this you should be around the level for the next hub, wherever that may be.
    A little forwarning, sometimes the routes around the zones make very little sense and you have to quest to figure out where you should be going to next and sometimes you just wander.
    PC NA
    VR1 - Jar'eed - Khajiit Dragon Knight - AD
    VR1 - Broad Tail - Argonian Templar - EP
    All-Star Crafter Guild
  • Hlaadriel
    Hlaadriel
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks

Restart a new character... when you wake up take the first quest. DO NOT EXPLORE go to starter island
  • dimix
    dimix
    Soul Shriven
    If only this game was as user friendly as wow it would make life so much easier
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive just hit level 8
    My problem is I can't find any more quests that are suitable to my level.
    The only ones I can find are level 10+

In addition to what others said about starter islands - do not take the quest levels too seriously. A well equipped character can do level 40 quests at level 25, it will just take a bit longer to kill the mobs(you will be missing).

A 2 level difference is basically nothing. At level 8 you would probably be able to comfortably complete all quests in the 8-15 zone, even with mediocre equipment. But i do suggest taking up crafting and making yourself a set of white equipment, then use drops to complement it(e.g. do not rely solely on drops).
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    A 2 level difference is basically nothing. At level 8 you would probably be able to comfortably complete all quests in the 8-15 zone, even with mediocre equipment. But i do suggest taking up crafting and making yourself a set of white equipment, then use drops to complement it(e.g. do not rely solely on drops).

This is true in case one does know what he/she is doing. Someone just starting out and figuring out what skills to use and so might have difficult time even with mobs 2 levels above. At start even couple levels higher mobs seemed tough for me (well they prolly actually were more than nowdays) and I was using what ever skills sounded and looked nice and might have not been the best for the situation. If I do it now, I know exactly what skills to use and how to use them and mow down mobs easily even higher levels.

Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syntse wrote: »
    Sharee wrote: »

This is true in case one does know what he/she is doing. Someone just starting out and figuring out what skills to use and so might have difficult time even with mobs 2 levels above. At start even couple levels higher mobs seemed tough for me (well they prolly actually were more than nowdays) and I was using what ever skills sounded and looked nice and might have not been the best for the situation. If I do it now, I know exactly what skills to use and how to use them and mow down mobs easily even higher levels.

I know what you mean but really, if you do not know what buttons to push, a level 10 mob in TESO is not going to give you much more trouble than a level 8 mob already does. Unlike other games i've played, the level-to-level difference between mobs is minimal. People should not be scared of attacking something just because their own level does not match the mob's.
  • Hlaadriel
    Hlaadriel
    ✭✭✭
    If it is your first time in ESO, forget about reaching max level quickly (unless your only aim is PvP). Explore, do ALL the quests, all dungeons, kill all bosses in public dungeon, do the world bosses (skulls), open each chest you see, do the dailies, kill each and every thing you encounter as they provide xp. My main was vet 1 before I hit the last zone (without PVP), that being said lvl to lvl difference is not high, my last alt is in second vet zone without even havinf hit vet 1 yet (ok. I know my rotation and 300 CP :p )
  • HerculesGL
    Hlaadriel wrote: »
    Thanks

Restart a new character... when you wake up take the first quest. DO NOT EXPLORE go to starter island

So I can't return with the character I have ? I take it once you start exploring the Starter Island quests disappear.

• Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hlaadriel wrote: »
    Thanks

So I can't return with the character I have ? I take it once you start exploring the Starter Island quests disappear.
    They don't. You don't need to reroll, don't worry. The only problem is that some of the quests might have greyed out if you're 5+ levels above them.
  • HerculesGL
    Ok , nice one.
    Fairly sure I'm with The Ebonheart alliance
    I think I have found a YouTube video which will ( hopefully ) lead me to the islands
  • Hlaadriel
    Hlaadriel
    ✭✭✭
    From EP you wake up in Stonefall in a house in Davon’s Watch. If you get out of the house you have an NPC that gives you a quest to go to the docks and talk to a girl. Go talk to the girl and you will be transported to an island. that is your starter island. If you misse it. return to Davon’s Watch find all the quest givers (2 of them) then the lowest level one will get you to the starter island....
  • HerculesGL
    ..... In this video they leave from Daggerfall ...
    Confused
    http://youtu.be/VUZlt8hK_m8
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Daggerfall Covenant players wake up in Daggerfall. As EP, you woke up in Davon's Watch and you go to a different starter island. Or did you not? What's the name of the zone you woke up in?
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ..... In this video they leave from Daggerfall ...
    Confused
    http://youtu.be/VUZlt8hK_m8

Those instructons are for players who joined the Daggerfall Covenant.
  • HerculesGL
    Yep , I woke up in Dayans Watch ..
  • Hlaadriel
    Hlaadriel
    ✭✭✭
    There are 3 alliances:

AD for Aldmeri Dominion (color of the banner YELLOW)
    EP for Ebonheart Pact (color of the banner RED)
    DC for Daggerfel Covenant (color of the banner BLUE)

Those 3 alliances are on different part of the maps. Before you start looking at walkthrough vids on youtube, I suggest that you check which faction you chose (you can see the color of the banner in the character selection screen)

That being said
    - AD toons wake up on a boat and the quest giver is just out of the boat of Vulkhel Guard
    - EP toons wake up in Davon's watch in a house and quest giver is just outside the house
    - DC toons wake up in Glenumbra in a house and quest giver is just outside the house

so go back to the first town of your alliance, and find ALL quest givers and do ALL quests there. also do the Guilds quest lines

• HerculesGL

Think I've found the starter islands.

Bleakrock Isle ??
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Think I've found the starter islands.

Bleakrock Isle ??
    Yup, that's the first of the 2 Ebonheart Pact starter zones! Happy exploring - try to check out the whole island as there are numerous side-quests there in addition to the main questline for the island. Once you've explored everywhere and completed all the side quests, finish the main questline and at the end it will take you to the second starter zone: Bal Foyen.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Solid_Metal
    Solid_Metal
    ✭✭✭✭
    if you grinding, trust me, you miss a lot, i meant....a lot
    what makes this game engaging to me is the quest, try exploring unlocking new area, finish up delves, that what makes RPG an RPG
    "i will walk through the fog, as i welcome death"
  • HerculesGL
    Having received the Hero of Bleakrock in gonna assume Ive done 100% of the island?