Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Sorcerer/bow user.

pacmanatbest
Ok i am currently playing a kahjit/ Sorcerer/ using a bow.

Now i do not mind it but i feel i have made the wrong choice in combination for a bow user. I have the Encase snare to use to keep the melee mobs at bay while i kill the ranged mobs. Things i would like to know before i commit to much to this character and then not be invited to certain instances afterwards due to my bad choice.

Please keep in mind i am going to be playing this till 50 then re-rolling after i learn mechanics of the game to a healer and it will end up just leveling all the crafts to keep my main with lots of bag space.
  • pacmanatbest
    If you know another forum post that explains this for me please let me know would be much appreciated.

Something else i am interested to get as i do not plan on spamming dungeons and stuff is using heavy gear with stamina on it ok?
    Edited by pacmanatbest on June 4, 2015 8:23PM
  • TheSunAlsoRises
    TheSunAlsoRises
    ✭✭✭
    so is your goal with this character to learn the basics of the game or is it simply to just be different? what level are you now? at 15 you can swap weapons (if you didn't know already).

a khajit bow wielding sorcerer is a very.. non conventional.. build. you could do it, for sure. but i'm not sure how high your DPS would be compared to other bow using classes. although khajit do have a crit bonus as one of their racial skills. so they are built for damage.

the night blade/khajit or night blade/wood elf (bosmer) race class combo is probably the best or easiest if you want to focus on using a bow.

for reference, i learned the game on a breton templar. amazing healer. can be tanky and WAS beastly in PvP way back. i've yet to do some solid PvP with him but templar is probably one of the easiest classes to play. for PvE leveling/grinding, my templar is pretty much unkillable.

No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Please keep in mind i am going to be playing this till 50 then re-rolling after i learn mechanics of the game to a healer and it will end up just leveling all the crafts to keep my main with lots of bag space.

That's your out right there. Up until L50, and quite frankly for most of Silver and Gold, you can make any combo work and be successful. It is only when you get to Trials or PvP that you may have some issues getting the results you want. Until then, while you might have a bit more difficulty with some things, and you may not be able to solo all the world bosses, your going to succeed with the combo your starting with.

Now, one thing to keep in mind, to make a Bow powerful, you need Stamina, which makes for a weak Caster. So, that will be your main issue that your going to have to get around.

Me, I switched out the bow on my Sorcerer and now she runs two Inferno Staffs, DPS Bar and Sorcerer Bar. This gives me the ranged attacks that work best for her.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Dedhed
    Dedhed
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a Bosmer sorc going with a bow and summons. This is really for flavor purposes, though and while I do like playing him I have no idea how viable it is at endgame, pvp or any such. Love the character, though :mrgreen:
    "This is like talking to breakfast cereal" -- Fredericks in Otherland talking about Wicked Tribe. Also a great description of zone chat.
  • Tadhg_Longhouse
    Tadhg_Longhouse
    ✭✭✭
    I think making a Stamina Sorcerer with a bow is perfectly viable. We lack the stamina morphs for lots of our abilities, but you can make good use of the ones we have.

You will want to focus on your support class abilities to make the most of them. This would be critical surge (self heal from crits and 20% weapon damage) and Bound Armaments (increase heavy attach damage +maxstamina).

Outside of those two you could consider a couple of different options, but all of these are more magicka intensive so would need to be used sparingly. Ensnare as you said keeps enemies at bay which is useful, but you could probably only hit it twice before you are out of magicka without dedicating points to upping your max. Similarly, Bolt escape (or bolt of lightning) is another way to keep your distance while stunning enemies, but again more than once or twice in a row and you'll be OOM.

These abilities work to their max effect regardless of max magicka so you don't need to worry about having a high spell damage or magicka pool for them to be effective abilities. Most of them would also go on a second bar while you keep your main stamina abilities as primary.

Outside of your class skills, you'd probably want to get your fighters guild level up to access more stamina abilities outside of your weapon skills.

You may consider the Dark Deal morph of Dark Pact to give you a stamina regen ability if you find stamina to be a problem.

As for being a Khajiit: There's nothing wrong with them, but if you're min-maxing a Redguard or Imperial would provide better passives for a stamina build. Extra weapon crit is ok, but max stamina and stamina regen are more important. Health regen in combat unless you're tanking (and even then...) is not that useful.
    Tadhg Longhouse
    Reachman Sorcerer
    Aldmeri Dominion
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Max out your bow skills if you are going stamina

Use one bar for single target, the other for aoe

Use class skills for support and utility, not for killing. Unless its an execute ability.

Eg:

Restraining prison, Bombard, scorched earth, Clannfear, streak for aoe

Focused Aim, poison injection, endless Fury, crystal fragments Clannfear. Single target. Change the Clannfear with surge or grab bound armaments for group play. Change crystal fragments to evil hunter on Daedric or undead fights.

My two cents
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!