The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Suggestion: A build-your-own-costume trinket

EramTheLiar
EramTheLiar
✭✭✭✭
I guess someone has probably suggested this before, but I didn't see it in a (very brief, very cursory) search so I'm going to post anyway. Also, if this was available in the Crown store I would be all over it.

I like the idea of costumes, but honestly, I like crafting my own armor and combining them to create unique "looks" -- and I prefer the look I've settled on over everything else.

(If you're curious: Breton light hood, Khajit heavy breastplate, Redguard heavy shoulderss, Redguard light arms and boots, Khajit light pants, Redguard light buckle)

The problem is that as I get closer and closer to v14 I'm going to feel pressure to get certain sets in order to provide specific set bonuses to help me survive some end-game content. As it stands, I probably won't, because I like my character's look waaaaay too much. I'm a shallow gamer that way. When I had a sorcerer I couldn't bring myself to use Daedric armor, even with the 8% magicka bonus, because it covered up my armor!

But costumes are a great workaround for that. You can be wearing all heavy Argonian motiff armor and pop a costume and suddenly you're in Covenant Scout Armor. This even works with Daedric armor, so people who are annoyed by the spiky pauldrons can opt for black-and-tan leather instead.

But wouldn't it be great if you could buy a costume from the store that was essentially a blank slate? When you activate it on your character, it makes a snapshot of the armor you're wearing and converts it into a costume, so that you can activate it and always look like you're wearing that armor. So you can go get that UberDwemerMegaStaminaRegen set (or... whatever) and put it on, and then pop on this costume and it's the look you custom built yourself.

Seriously, I would spend crown points on that one. And since it doesn't actually provide you with any extra skill points, or xp, or damage, or anything other than changing your character appearance, I don't think it would be particularly game-breaking. The only potential issue I see is that costumes are universally accessible between all your accounts, so if you created it for one character it would be available for all the others. Honestly I would be OK with that too. :)
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been suggested a few times, you're right about that. I would love this option. I do think the item would need to be consumable so if you create a costume you need to buy a new "blank" to make another. They should also cost more than other costumes. Maybe not as much as polymorps but like 1000 crowns.

I do love the idea! @ZOS! Do it! Do it now! :lol:
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • EramTheLiar
    EramTheLiar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh I agree you should only be able to create a single costume with it. The way I pictured it, it'd be a "scroll," like the respec purchases. And when you use it, the scroll is replaced with a costume based on the armor you're currently wearing and the color scheme it's using.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh OK so it would be an ITEM that takes an inventory slot. I was imagining it be a slot in the collectibles tab.

I like your idea better!
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Heromofo
    Heromofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uuuum love it +++1

Seriously really good idea mate
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Gidorick on June 3, 2015 9:07PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it would be great.

Have an item you can purchase from the store that converts your current armour/clothing into a cosmetic appearance item, that either goes in your inventory, or - even better - disappears and adds to your collections costume tab. The latter would prevent them being mistakenly destroyed.

Similar things have been implemented in other MMOs and as always they seem to be quite widely used. It would be wonderful to see such an option available here too in ESO.
    Edited by Rev Rielle on June 9, 2015 1:08AM
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • snackrat
    snackrat
    ✭✭✭
    I love my mix of Argonian heavy/light armour, but once I have a 5-set bonus in Healer, I won't have that anymore :c
    I would love to see 'snapshots' of armour, complete with dyes, to be saved as armour.

Better yet if it could be saved to the costume tab. and there were several to work with. That way I could make a nice L46 rogue-set for the characters still at L10, as they look like butt using low-level gear. (And the Crown store costumes can't handle beast races - they paint the claws, DELETE the claws, or cover all manes/spines.)