Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Tamriel: A visual review

Faulgor
Faulgor
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
With the change to B2P and a general lack of development from ZOS, I realize changes to existing zones are about as likely as meeting a flesh-and-blood Dwemer in a Wayrest tavern. Nevertheless, I wanted to give some feedback on the aesthetics of different zones, so that maybe some of it will find its way into future content.
Warning: Lots of images in the spoiler tags below!

Daggerfall Covenant
Glenumbra

tWjU8r3.jpg

The Daenia forests show one of the weakest aspects of ESO's graphics: Trees. The trunks are incredibly simple, and the foliage lacks a lot of detail compared to the rest of the world. Most are also incredibly huge and spread out quite far, which doesn't give the impression of a forest but rather some sort of plantation. Of course, compromises have to be made for performance, and trees are often the first choice for this, but it's also one of the areas improvements would benefit ESO's look the most.

D0AQRhX.jpg

Where Glenumbra shines are moody moors with ambient fog. In general, such secondary weather affects improve a scenery a lot.

Stormhaven

AzSM4CE.jpg

Stormhaven improves a bit on Glenumbra with more varied lower vegetation, but suffers from sparse trees as well.

vncRJyb.jpg

Additionally, it makes heavier use of rocks and mountains in its aesthetics, which are ESO's second weakest point in my opinion. The shape is often not very natural, and low-resolution textures only add to the problem. Stormhaven's stronger point are the Breton and Ayleid ruins, which could be made more prominent by reducing trees in height and instead increase their density.

Rivenspire

HntjjQ3.jpg

Easily one of my favourite zones, even though it relies heavily on both aforementioned weak points: Trees and mountains. While distant mountains are just as bad as in other zones, they are often shrouded in dusty mists, which enhances the atmosphere of the area.

ueOeTTD.jpg

Trees in Rivenspire are improved simply by omitting foliage. In turn, their detail is increased (branches as well as hanging moss), which is further enhanced by their unusual shapes.

Alik'r Desert

pT3KccC.jpg

Also one of my favourite zones, as it creates an impactful atmosphere without much to work with. Ancient ruins and rock formations frame a dry desert, warm gusts of wind blowing sand here and there among sparse oases of palm trees and gnarly desert trees. Again, these secondary weather effects add a lot to the scenery. Perhaps they could be accompanied by a fata morgana now and then?

3QCbh5z.jpg

Undoubatbly, the palms and desert trees are also much better than the deciduous trees fo Glenumbra and Stormhaven. Their level of detail is appropriate to their size.

Bangkorai

093EFlB.jpg

Further improving on the lower vegetation of Stormhaven while still carrying the burden of low-detail trees. Again, the atmosphere is improved by misty weather effects in northern Bangkorai.

76eTsLO.jpg

Southern Bangkorai has the strengths of the Alik'r and further improves the lower vegetation, both in variety and detail. The larger rock formations are sometimes a bit odd, but the smaller ones contribute a lot to the feel of the area.

Aldmeri Dominion
Auridon

1P9S4A8.jpg

Auridon has to be my least favourite zone, for similar reasons mentioned before. The large green trees are horrendous to look at, and the lower vegetation doesn't make up for it with variety or density. The lack of atmospheric fog or weather effects also makes this zone feel very stale.

D7tpX2C.jpg

The best part are the smaller, colorful trees. Places like the isle of contemplation are almost beautiful!

Grahtwood

39k2dNs.jpg

You might think I wouldn't like Grahtwood, as it is almost nothing but trees, but in Valenwood, they work remarkably well. While in previous zones, smaller trees looked better because of their higher level of detail, the huge size actually works in the Graht Oak's favor. The low-detail foliage is out of sight for the most part, and the canopy creates a web of shadows on the forest ground that greatly contributes to the scenery.

8f76MUD.jpg

The lower vegetation is also very varied, and works together with larger trees to hide the often low-poly rock formations.

Greenshade

2pgAjme.jpg

Greenshade takes a small step back from Grahtwood, as it spreads the trees out some more and reduces their height. This also makes the low quality rock formations which dot the landscape more visible.

7GzWWrl.jpg

This images shows a scenery done really well: The trees are varied in size and shape, the foliage creates a dense canopy that casts a shadow on the ground, where different lower vegetation - younger trees, fern, flowers - and mer-made objects create a great level of detail.

Malabal Tor

FcvDreA.jpg

Malabal Tor does what Grahtwood does best and improves upon it with atmospheric fog, creating the image of a lush and swampy forest.

8d8D5L4.jpg

I wouldn't change a thing about it conceptually, but it would benefit from higher-detail foliage as well.

Reaper's March

UaeXAlh.jpg

Although it's a very dry zone as well, Reaper's March doesn't feel quite as atmospheric as the Alik'r.

QerPDF6.jpg

The understandable short grass and sparse rocks aside, Reaper's March would benefit greatly from additional weather and atmospheric effects, such as blown-up sand, flickering hot air or tumbleweed.

Ebonheart Pact
Stonefalls

OKR4Pvt.jpg

Without a doubt one of, if not the best zone in the game. The trees come with naturally little foliage, and are often replaced by giant mushrooms. On all scales, the vegetation is varied and detailed. The rock formations remain a weak point, but are also very reminiscent of TES3.

uIhZiIG.jpg

But where Stonefalls really shines are the atmospheric weather effects. Ash storms between ragged mountains create a dynamic distant fog, ash and sparks from the volcanoes tumble through the air.

JrVsvL7.jpg

Just one more because it's so nice.

Deshaan

AAslTqP.jpg

Deshaan keeps some level of dusty fog, which helps to hide its weak aspects of large, sparse trees and low-detail rocks.

DM8IlVI.jpg

However, the alien and varied vegetaion also contribute a lot to the zone's atmosphere, even when the polygon-count is low.

Shadowfen

qkxrIST.jpg

In many areas, Shadowfen feels the most like a real forest. Here the vegetation is quite dense, trees of different height and shape cast shadows on the swampy ground. The density is enhanced by the low view distance due to atmospheric fog.

GqVK6pi.jpg

This creates the illusion of actually being lost in a dangerous swamp; additionally, the low quality foliage is hidden behind fog or hard contrasts.

QaFbYhi.jpg

The already great level of detail on the ground is enhanced even more by water reflections, which almost gives Shadowfen and unfair advantage compared to other zones. Overall it's just really well done.

Eastmarch

CWUOZC0.jpg

Eastmarch is a mixed bag. The volcanic tundra has the strong points of Stonefalls and Shadowfen, due to its atmospheric fog and water. The trees are varied, foliage is either absent or hidden in the fog; against the sun, they stand in sharp contrast as silhouettes, enhancing the mood greatly.

NuvWRjD.jpg

Problems show in the "green" areas, where sparse large pine trees stand between low-quality rock formations. ESO's weakest points are combined here with little to make up for it.

R9wZi1k.jpg

This is one of the better green areas, showing more varied lower vegetation and denser trees - although they could still be reduced in height and increased in density.

NkhQ3zs.jpg

While snowy areas don't have better trees, the snow adds a better level of detail to textures, and some blown-up gusts of snow add to atmospheric effects.

The Rift

A7csrp6.jpg

The Rift looks great in areas with dense, low-height vegetation, especially birch trees. In these parts, the atmosphere is very reminiscent of TES5, not in small part due to distant fog of a certain hue.

M21gaVu.jpg

Where the Rift struggles is in areas with larger, more sparse trees and open spaces without a lot of detail on the ground.

dsuN1Ek.jpg

And this not only concludes the Rift, but our little tour through Tamriel!

In summary:
  • Medium to large sized trees with a lot of foliage are a weak point in ESO's graphics. This could be improved by either better models (hard) or using smaller trees where appropriate.
  • Forest areas often are not very dense. Larger, dense groups of small trees are much more aesthetically pleasing and realistic than areas with sparse vegetation of large, low-quality trees. Small-scale, detailed areas with varied vegetation are ESO's strong point.
  • Rock formations and especially mountains have a very disappointing quality, both in polygon count and texture placement.
  • Weather and atmospheric effects - gusts of sand and snow, ash, fog, mists - add a lot to the atmosphere of an area, but are lacking in most places. This creates a sharp contrast in quality to where those features are present.
  • Additionally, large-scale weather effects and cloud textures could be improved, for a great effect without any change on individual zones.

That ZOS is capable of creating everything mentioned here is evident in numerous areas of the game - this is not a simple call to "try harder". So I want to end this little tour with an, in my opinion, exceptionally great location - the veteran City of Ash - and contrast it with a similar, but visually weak area - High Hrothgar.

znqPdWX.jpg

This is a fantastic mountain.

Cloud textures are very high quality, with numerous weather effects in the sky itself and in the air, such as flying ash and sparks. Fog creates an illusion of distance in the mountain range, which has textures fitting to its shape and appears as a contrasting silhouette where textures are not clearly visible. The shape of the prominent mountain has jagged as well as smooth parts, and it is illuminated dynamically depending on the light coming from the sky.

YrwsSGx.jpg

This is a disgrace for The Throat of the World.

Cloud texture is very low quality, there is almost no fogging except for a small blue tint - which is fine and realistic in certain circumstances, but doesn't help a lot to create an illusion of distance. The mountain range is shaped oddly and unnatural in several places, consisting of jagged rock towers. The textures on the rock formations in the front are not placed with their shape in mind, resulting in horizontal strata across the whole mountain - which could happen in nature, but look misplaced in this instance due to the shape of the mountain. The mountains in the back lack any detailed texture whatsoever.

Save travels!
Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Aeladiir
    Aeladiir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hardly anything can be done to fight this. The engine is one of the worst ever created. Ugly, plain and simply boring.
  • Atirez
    Atirez
    ✭✭
    Hardly anything can be done to fight this. The engine is one of the worst ever created. Ugly, plain and simply boring.

Don't think I read this from the OP. Personally I think the images presented here and my opinion of it in game is: this can look brilliant at times.

Whenever I read anything on these forums, there is always the dejected, jaded, pessimistic response which only helps to create an illusion of a failing ugly game with no playability or content.
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The grass is the worst thing in this game, they move with your camera.
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to disagree. The review shows the great parts about ESO's graphics just as much as the flawed, and there's no reason to believe that things that work in one area are not going to work in another due to engine restrictions.
  • RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The higher the quality of textures and number of objects in the game puts higher demand on the ESO server and the player's computer. To maximize profits, the game has to be able to run smoothly on a variety of systems. Increasing the graphics quality and quantity would limit the customer base and would require more expensive (powerful) servers.

I agree with the OP, that the game vegetation is sparse in many areas, specially in Cyrodiil, but more detail in a game would put a higher demand on a game system that can barely keep up with the current demands.

I'm fine with the current graphics system, when in 3rd person view, but it's the game mechanics that need to be revised. The game mechanics are not consistent and balanced.

• Amsel_McKay
    Amsel_McKay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find the best graphics are the ones in this game called "real life" and the social parts of that game are amazing as well. As for the game ESO the graphics are fine for a game that I spend a little time when I'm not playing real life.
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A beautifully written post for which I gave you a well deserved awesome, and one which I agree with for the most part. Stonefalls is way out my favourite zone - atmospheric and so nostalgic! Some NPC's even called me 'n'wah' lol! :D
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RSram wrote: »
    The higher the quality of textures and number of objects in the game puts higher demand on the ESO server and the player's computer. To maximize profits, the game has to be able to run smoothly on a variety of systems. Increasing the graphics quality and quantity would limit the customer base and would require more expensive (powerful) servers.

I agree with the OP, that the game vegetation is sparse in many areas, specially in Cyrodiil, but more detail in a game would put a higher demand on a game system that can barely keep up with the current demands.

I'm fine with the current graphics system, when in 3rd person view, but it's the game mechanics that need to be revised. The game mechanics are not consistent and balanced.

I can in no way tell which areas of the game require a compromise to achieve an overall good performance, not just for graphics - that is totally up to ZOS. All I can do is give feedback what makes a zone visually appealing and what doesn't.
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I find the best graphics are the ones in this game called "real life" and the social parts of that game are amazing as well. As for the game ESO the graphics are fine for a game that I spend a little time when I'm not playing real life.

Bah. I don't buy into that hype.
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)