The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Un-even XP gain at same level while doing the same things?

Knaxia
Knaxia
✭✭✭
My friend an I ran into a weird problem.

We both started a character at the same time and we only play while grouped and we also both have the ring of mara. As we quested, of course a few times the xp gain isn't fully equal such as opening chests and such but we overall stayed around the same distance from each other.

Lately thought there has been something weird going on. While we, again are grouped, both with our mara ring and killing the same targets, we noticed we did NOT gain the same XP for the same kills while we are both at the same level.I left him alone to get back some XP until we were both at the same point. Once we were both almost equal (maybe 100xp apart), we went back in group and quested. After a few hours, I was 6k xp ahead of him while we both killed the same mobs and did the same quests while on the same level. To check, we both stood at the same placed, checked our XP, killed a mob and checked the XP gained. I gained 183XP while he gained 182, the 2nd mob, I gained a183 and he gained 181. On 2 mobs I gained 3 additional XP.

Here's a full break down:
-This is my 4th character, I do have 2 VR characters ,a VR11 and VR2. He only has 2 characters, both in the 30s (one solo and one we play together)
-I have NOT spent any of my champion points on this character and he doesn't have any to spend.
-We are both of the same level.
-We both always do the same quests while at the level, using the same quest choices.
-We both explore the same dungeons and areas, kill the same mobs.
-We are always grouped together and staying near each other.
-We both own and wear our Ring of Mara.

The only differences that shouldn't affect XP gain:
-We both play Khajiit, but I'm a Female he's a Male.
-He plays a Dragon Knight while I'm a Templar.
-I have VR characters that are currently enlighted for CP gain which shouldn't affect alts.
-My Nightblade, VR11 on EP , has set Home to a Cyrodiil Campain but that shouldn't affect alts and even less on other factions.
-This is both our only character on AD, we have characters on BC and EP out from that.
-He has an exploration trait item but shouldn't affect kill/quest xp, also he still gets less than me.
-There are no buffs in the character screen that shows that I gain more XP.
-I didn't see any talent, skill or item that would overall increase the XP gain on my side.

What could be the cause of this? We're trying to level equally at the same time all the time but after a while I have to let him go alone to kill stuff to catch up. We did everything to make sure nothing would affect one of the other. Always grouped, both with the ring, both following each other and being near each other, no CP points, no Cyrodiil campaign joined on these characters, playing same race etc.

Help?

• traigusb14_ESO2
    traigusb14_ESO2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had this problem with a friend in beta.

There may be some damage % = XP % thing even when grouped.

I'm trying to think back. it was our classes and play style (so the person who was ahead always got more ahead). We usually fixed it up when we leveled. The behind person (me) would kill a few baddies ungrouped near town.

My partner played a NB, and often killed 1 baddy outright with a sneak attack closer before I could kill anyone.

I'm also not sure if "finesse" is still in. if you fight a baddie and block/interrupt/avoid red AOEs you used to get bonus XP. It was a small amount, but it can build up. if it is still in, you an tell by fighting a mob by spamming skills then fight the same kind of mob with basic attacks and block/bash. You should get more XP than the first time.
  • GaldorP
    GaldorP
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basically, you answered the following questions already by mentioning that you have no buff that increases XP gain, but...

Could it be that you have an ESO Plus membership (+10% XP) while your friend doesn't? :)
    Does your character have a home campaign (any campaign) assigned? :)

With add-ons you could check how much each of you get from killing regular monsters and from completing quests. If you get the same amount of XP, you must have had some kills that only gave you XP but didn't count fully (or not at all) for your friend (a third player attacking the same monsters as you could maybe have caused this).
    Edited by GaldorP on May 31, 2015 12:44AM
  • Knaxia
    Knaxia
    ✭✭✭
    XP seems to have been stabilized now somehow, must have been a session bug or something.

@GaldorP : Nah, none of us pay for a subscription, neither of us are ESO Plus+. I installed Combat Cloud on his PC and it seems to be the same all the time now. My only character on a Cyrodiil campaign is my VR11 nightblade on EP (our group characters are both AD).

That's just weird how uneven it ended up, me ahead of 6k, now it's all fine and we're progressing equally.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought in some instances awards might be boosted for someone doing any healing. I don't know if this would include the NB siphon attacks.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • firstdecan
    firstdecan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know how well this is currently incorporated into the game, but there was a concept called "finesse" that would affect how the experience \ rewards you would get from your kills. Essentially, the more varied your attacks were in killing an opponent, the more XP your kills would be worth (differences were minor, but would add up over time).

http://www.elderscrollsguides.com/combat-mechanics/#finesse (This link is old)

Again, I don't know how integrated this concept is in the 1.6 \ 2.0 version we're playing.