The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

How to get to Stormhaven at VR levels when in Aldmeri Dominion ?

tamedbeast
tamedbeast
✭✭✭
I completed the main quests, and was able to reach majority of the all zones, expect for zones on the North West side of the map West from Cyrodiil.

I guess the question is how do i get over there? Im trying to get to stormhaven but it wont let me? I'm in AD faction. I was under the assumption once you completed the main quest all the other zones are open ?
Edited by tamedbeast on May 30, 2015 8:49PM
  • Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To get to any Caldwell gold zones, you have to complete Silver.
  • traigusb14_ESO2
    traigusb14_ESO2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. you get 1 other faction leveled at VR1-5 at the end of man Quest (Caldwell's silver).

You have to do the main quest sfor that faction (they are in journal under Caldwell's Silver) and then you unlock the 2nd other faction leveled at VR6-10
  • tamedbeast
    tamedbeast
    ✭✭✭
    Bouvin wrote: »

So this means i need to do every quest in those silver zones ?
  • PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tamedbeast wrote: »

pretty much
  • tamedbeast
    tamedbeast
    ✭✭✭
    Good times.
  • F7sus4
    F7sus4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not literally every single quest. Just the main quest line.
  • tamedbeast
    tamedbeast
    ✭✭✭
    F7sus4 wrote: »
    Not literally every single quest. Just the main quest line.

Thanks for the info, what was exactly what i was wondering.

• Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just recently I posted in another thread that I'd like to move my Silver zone characters to somewhere else, but I can't, because of this barrier. Would be cool if these would be removed; why must we complete certain quests before getting there? As much as love to play it through (did it several times already), I want to move around whereever and whenever I want. AT LEAST when we've completed it once, I don't see a problem to this feature to be added.
    Venus Ocean - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Gixia - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Frances Demnevanni - Breton Dragonknight VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Raygee - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Lady Olivieri - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Donna Demnevanni - Breton Templar VR16, DC, Tamriel Hero
    Elaine Benes - Breton Templar VR16, EP | Ray McCluck - Breton Sorcerer VR16, EP
    Moonshadow Demnevanni - Dunmer Dragonknight Lvl 50, EP | Jamie Stacey - Redguard Templar Lvl 50, EP
    Caia Cosades - Imperial Nightblade, EP

• PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just recently I posted in another thread that I'd like to move my Silver zone characters to somewhere else, but I can't, because of this barrier. Would be cool if these would be removed; why must we complete certain quests before getting there? As much as love to play it through (did it several times already), I want to move around whereever and whenever I want. AT LEAST when we've completed it once, I don't see a problem to this feature to be added.

people complained that you could not see all of tamriel on one character, so they made it so you could........whether you wanted to or not.
  • Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PKMN12 wrote: »

people complained that you could not see all of tamriel on one character, so they made it so you could........whether you wanted to or not.

Uh.. that's not what I was talking about.
    Venus Ocean - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Gixia - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Frances Demnevanni - Breton Dragonknight VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Raygee - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Lady Olivieri - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Donna Demnevanni - Breton Templar VR16, DC, Tamriel Hero
    Moonshadow Demnevanni - Dunmer Dragonknight Lvl 50, EP | Jamie Stacey - Redguard Templar Lvl 50, EP

• PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭

what i meant was, you have no choice about the order of when/how you go. You go in a spcific order, seeing all of tamriel, whether you want to or not.
  • Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭

what i meant was, you have no choice about the order of when/how you go. You go in a spcific order, seeing all of tamriel, whether you want to or not.

I know. That's why I said I'd like it if we could go whereever and WHENever we want.

• PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I know. That's why I said I'd like it if we could go whereever and WHENever we want.

which was MY point, people only argued that you COULD go everywhere, and they did not want you too because that is not what their vision of the game was.

so, they decided to make it as painful as possible.
  • Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭

which was MY point, people only argued that you COULD go everywhere, and they did not want you too because that is not what their vision of the game was.

Ok, now it makes sense to me^^ Hm, but the players who don't want to do the zones in the other alliances just don't have to go there. For the other players which want to do them it would be nice if the Silver/Gold-barrier would be gone (at least for me, I don't know about others feel about it).
    Edited by Moonshadow66 on May 30, 2015 11:16PM

• PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, now it makes sense to me^^ Hm, but the players who don't want to do the zones in the other alliances just don't have to go there. For the other players which want to do them it would be nice if the Silver/Gold-barrier would be gone (at least for me, I don't know about others feel about it).

again, my whole point is that they never wanted you to go to other zones, at all, ever, they were originaly made ONLY for that faction and nowhere else.

why in the world would they ever make it easier to do something they were 100% against?
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Agree, giving players only one route to advance a new characters is boring. Removing all quick grinding areas just made the game worse, as questing and inefficient grinding are now the only ways to level. Craglorn should be restored as a vet grinding area, instead of the nirncrux farm it is now.

Yes, they did create a means for traveling all of Tamriel on one character, but they chose one of the most hated and vilified parts of the game. Instead of creating a new chain of quests to be done in vet zones, we get to play the existing quests. Which means you are repeating the quests when you create a character in a different faction, or repeating the quests as vets if you pushed characters through all alliances from scratch. The key word is: REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT. And we all know this was done just to save money. What does it say that this is still a source of major dissatisfaction more than a year from game release?
    Edited by Ourorboros on May 30, 2015 11:23PM
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, they did create a means for traveling all of Tamriel on one character, but they chose one of the most hated and vilified parts of the game. Instead of creating a new chain of quests to be done in vet zones, we get to play the existing quests. Which means you are repeating the quests when you create a character in a different faction, or repeating the quests as vets if you pushed characters through all alliances from scratch. The key word is: REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT. And we all know this was done just to save money. What does it say that this is still a source of major dissatisfaction more than a year from game release?[/quote]

that.... is kind of my point.......

they did not want to do it at ALL...so instead of simply not doing it to keep their original vision, and ignoring the TES zerging Fanboiz, they did it in the most mean spirited and painful way.

besides, going to the other zones makes no sense from a story point of view, you would be killed on sight as an enemy.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

again, my whole point is that they never wanted you to go to other zones, at all, ever, they were originaly made ONLY for that faction and nowhere else.

why in the world would they ever make it easier to do something they were 100% against?

If the original intent of the game was never to be able to travel to another alliance on the same character, how did the game designers expect players to reach high vet ranks when the game ended at Cold Harbor? Were they to grind ad nauseum in their home alliance? That would be fun, right? Or go to Cyrodiil and PVP, which I'm sure all the Elder Scroll fans who never played an MMO before were itching to do. Either scenario is worse than what we have in my mind.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »

If the original intent of the game was never to be able to travel to another alliance on the same character, how did the game designers expect players to reach high vet ranks when the game ended at Cold Harbor? Were they to grind ad nauseum in their home alliance? That would be fun, right? Or go to Cyrodiil and PVP, which I'm sure all the Elder Scroll fans who never played an MMO before were itching to do. Either scenario is worse than what we have in my mind.

actually, yes, PVP WAS meant to be the main endgame actually. if you watch/read all the stuff they had during beta, all they ever did was push Cyrodiil. they rarely talked about PVE

otherwise, IMO, they probably made the vet ranks as hard to level as they did BECAUSE they were going to add more "content" by creating the silver and gold.
  • firstdecan
    firstdecan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »

again, my whole point is that they never wanted you to go to other zones, at all, ever, they were originally made ONLY for that faction and nowhere else.

From what I remember (I was one of the beta stress testers), the game was predominantly designed around the 1-50 experience. Vet ranks were added as an "end game" reward, and each vet rank was a small, nominal increase for the character. Originally, there was only 10 VR ranks, and you didn't get any character or skill points for achieving a VR rank. All it let you do was wear slightly better gear. Vet ranks were supposed to be like champion points are now, small incremental advances after you had completed the main game (how well ZoS executed that even with the original design is debatable), and it was supposed to take a long time to get them.

Cadwell's Gold \ Silver came about because there was interest from the community in playing through the other alliance quests with the same character, as many people liked their character and were attached to it. Personally, I like Cadwell's silver \ gold as an option for people, but what it's become is a very tedious requirement with no other realistic option for character advancement.

I believe ZoS had originally seen Cyrodiil as being a much more engaging and vibrant part of the end game experience, and that is where you would have gotten most of your Vet ranks (again, the Vet ranks were supposed to take a long time to get, and only provide minor advantages). Unfortunately, there were more problems with Cyrodiil than they anticipated, and it didn't have the draw that was expected. I think they had expected zerg style PvP at the main castles, with smaller skirmish groups able to take resources and more opportunistic small scale \ 1v1 scale PvP happening during open world \ PvE activities. They have achieved that to a degree, but I think the systemic problems with Cyrodiil have prevented them from refining it to be more palatable to more people.

So to answer your question, the original intent was that the Vet Ranks would never be needed, but would be available as a minor advantage to players who had put in the time and the effort. The VR ranks turned out to be easier to get than intended (I think the first player got to max VR rank very shortly after early release), and since the advantages weren't as minor as intended, the rush to grind max level started so people could compete on an even keel in Cyrodiil.

and a final thought - As an Elder Scrolls fan who had never played an MMO before, I found Cyrodiil amazing and it is what really attracted me to the game. Once the exploits came out, and then the instability that got worse with the lighting patch (which may have just been coincidence), Cyrodiil was not as much fun.
  • Endurance
    Endurance
    ✭✭✭

people usually skip right to the end of the zone and do the last part of the quest on that map then AoE grind somewhere else to level up.. but i recommend u do all the quests otherwise you will be back on the forums asking questions like ur doing now
    I'm outta here
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    List of quests needed to complete Cadwell's Silver -> UESP: Cadwell's Almanac.

It is my belief that as part of the removal of Vet Ranks, they also want to open up Silver and Gold a bit more, which I interpret as them removing the requirement of having to do Silver first. (This doesn't even break Cadwell's dialogue if they unlock Gold immediately after you first enter Silver, as you will still have "experienced" it; just not to the extent he was implying.)
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp