The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Templar - any compelling reason for resto staff instead of fire?

EramTheLiar
EramTheLiar
✭✭✭✭
So I know that the Fire Staff is pretty much the go-to weapon for ranged magicka dps for a lot of reasons that have been discussed elsewhere. With that in mind, I have a question for the crowd:

I have been playing around with the Templar class for a few weeks -- both melee and ranged -- and lately I've been wondering if it might be better if my staff Templar should switch from fire to restoration. I'm not interested in healing (I mostly solo and if I tried healing in a group I'm pretty sure I'd screw it up badly) but the majority of my Templar attacks are magicka based, not elemental based, and restoration staff attacks are magicka based, while the fire staff is... well... you know. Fire.

And my VR6 templar has been putting all his magic-based champion levels in the Ritual skill that boosts magic-based damage. It hasn't hit 16% (which is what two levels of tri focus gives you for heavy/medium fire attacks) but I'm wondering if that really matters.

At the moment most of my damage comes from skills -- Puncturing Sweep is my primary attack when things close in because a) it's AOE and b) it has a built-in heal. Ranged it's usually Radiant Oppression, because Jesus Beam. Impulse is a great staff ability for PBAOE, but in situations when it's appropriate to use Impulse I wind up using Aedric Spear instead because it does almost as well, it costs less, PLUS it has the self-heal. It's more efficient overall, and if I'm in any kind of serious trouble Radiant Ward isn't as effective as Impulse damage-wise but it has a 30% health shield. Most of my Templar skills make the staff skills feel kind of redundant, based on the way I play (I'll grant there may be a better way to use the staff skills that I'm not aware of).

So if my main damage-dealing attacks are magic-based, it seems logical that the best thing for me to do would be go restoration staff just so that my light and heavy attacks are also magic-based, so I can get the +magic damage boost, AND take advantage of the superior magicka regen properties of the restoration staff. The thing that bothers me is that's pretty much all I'd be doing with the staff. I suppose I could get a healing skill or two for those times when I really need them, but I'm just not really interested in the healing role so it feels I'd be wasting a weapon going that route.

So anyway, I'm asking. Any tactical/numbers advantage to using restoration staff in the above situation?
  • BloodStorm
    BloodStorm
    ✭✭✭
    The resto staff passives are really nice. Great magicka heavy attack regen, ya. Also resto staff healing skills are inferior but staff passives are great if you are dps templar for sweep or heals. Breath of life healing is boosted 30% while you or allies are in extended ritual HoT aoe. That skill combo alone is best healing ingame. Inner light is nice and with resto staff you could have a Dps build and literally just weapon switch and now be a godly healer. Templar healing only needs one bar so you could use the bar as destro staff hybrid. If you like spamming sweep and use lots of class skills then resto staff still best option, ya. I personally love vampire templar with resto staff.
    Edited by BloodStorm on May 28, 2015 6:08PM
    Options
  • EramTheLiar
    EramTheLiar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, but that's the thing: I'm completely and utterly uninterested in healing. Healing is a group role, and from what little I understand of the group role I would be miserable and bored doing it. So while I completely understand that resto staff synergises very well with Templar in a healing role, I'm more curious about whether the fact that it's magic damage as opposed to elemental damage has any synergies with Templars offensively.

Are you saying the passives will work with he self heal in Puncturing Sweep? I hadn't even considered that. That's definitely worth keeping in mind...
    Options
  • BloodStorm
    BloodStorm
    ✭✭✭
    They changed resto staff passives. Mainly staff just helps with magicka regen, ya. Havent been on PC in a month or so. Waiting on PS4.
    Edited by BloodStorm on May 28, 2015 6:16PM
    Options
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Restoration Staff passives only affects Restoration Staff heals, this was a 1.6 change.

Templar Restoring Light passives only increases templar heals, not Restoration Staff healing.

Templar has no synergy with Restoration staff.

I basically only use Restoration Staff if I need any of the skills(usually I do when healing) or for the extra magicka restore from heavy attacks, if I'm running low.

Other than that you can use what ever weapon you want really. If your main dps skill is Puncturing Sweep, best is DW or 2-Hander, even for a magicka build, because it gives max spell power or extra stats. If you want to play ranged dps or heal/dps hybrid use Destruction Staff.
    Options
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, but that's the thing: I'm completely and utterly uninterested in healing. Healing is a group role, and from what little I understand of the group role I would be miserable and bored doing it. So while I completely understand that resto staff synergises very well with Templar in a healing role, I'm more curious about whether the fact that it's magic damage as opposed to elemental damage has any synergies with Templars offensively.

Are you saying the passives will work with he self heal in Puncturing Sweep? I hadn't even considered that. That's definitely worth keeping in mind...

Healing isn't the only thing that you would do there. All the great healers combo DPS + Heals. If you want a challenge give that a try. It's not easy to do both simultaneously. You could also off tank with heavy armor while backup healing. Give it a try, you might find you like it.....

I use a resto staff for both bars. My main bar(main healer) is all healing spells both Templar and Resto. The second bar has a couple healing spells as well as a couple AOE DPS(spear shards + sun fire) for mobs as well as the Radiant Destruction for boss fights. These work great in any dungon I've been in so far, as well as DSA.
    Edited by Robbmrp on May 28, 2015 8:27PM
    NA Server - Kildair
    Options
  • danovic
    danovic
    ✭✭✭
    no point in restoration staff any more with good crafted magic regen armor you don't have a problems with magic and templar heals better then staff. I use all fire staff abilities on one bar and tank up with shield on other bar with the two area heals and self heal then spam blazing shield and aoe fire together and everything dies magic regen from getting hit in full set of heavy armor is good too. use full dragon set to get 15% reduced ultimates so spam those fast too when fighting 5 to 7 in craglorn solo. Light and heavy sword attacks build ultimate fast. All templar abilities other then blazing shields are Useless.
    Options
  • EramTheLiar
    EramTheLiar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well... OK. that's one way to do it, I guess.
    Options
  • likewow777
    likewow777
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, the situation you're describing is the reason why I went with a stamina build for my second Templar. I actually enjoy the various Templar melee skills, and they just work better for me with a 2H sword. A while ago, I tried using a destro/resto staff combo, but found it kind of pointless. Either I was forcing myself to use staff skills, just because I had it equipped, or I forgot about the staff and just melee'd everything with class skills.

That said, if you wanted, you could take your basic destro staff Force Shock type build, and add in stuff like Sun Fire, Radiant Destruction, Solar Flare, etc, to create a ranged caster and see if that works.

As far as I know, that Restoring Light passive only works with Restoring Light heals. So no, Sweep's heal won't be amplified. That said, there's a bug currently where Repentance doesn't scale with Restoring Light passives either, despite being part of the skill tree, so yeah...
    "War doesn't build character, it reveals it."
    Options
  • Surfinginhawaii
    Surfinginhawaii
    ✭✭✭
    I don't even use a staff for my main attack bar after reading a thread on this forum and also seeing Deltiasgaming.com video. Using two sword will give you increased spell damage. I believe I got something like an increase of 180 to my spell damage.
    Options