Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How Do You Defeat Cassio Varo in Arthiel Quest?

OldGuyzRewl
This is a continuation of a previous discussion.

In the previous discussion, the solution was to kill Varo's Ogrim, thereby stopping her continuous, and bottomless, reheal.

Now, a year later, things have changed, at least in my game.

I killed the Ogrim at the outset, but now all she has to do is wave her hand and she regains full health. I have a nearly infinite supply of magicka, but always end up dead because I just can't kill her.

What's up with this?
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/105229/cassia-varo-op#latest

This thread got a lot of discussion bout her. The wave of her hand is the tell that she is going to heal. You need to interupt that. Even then the fight can take up to 45 minutes.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • OldGuyzRewl
    Thanks, I read the whole thread and used crushing shock;

"Crushing shock: Enemies casting are stunned and set off balance"

Except it has no effect on her.

Neither does Deep Breath, which is also supposed to interrupt.

Elemental Susceptibility: no effect.

Further:
    Obsidian shard ("Slam") no effect
    Destructive Reach: no effect.

I'm about to abandon this quest.

My char is vr8 DK, magicka based. I've done this quest before with a non-vet character, which makes it all the more frustrating.
    Edited by OldGuyzRewl on May 27, 2015 7:33PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skill Based Interrupts don't work on all bosses, the only one I have found is Invasion or another Gap Closer skill that provides a bash or a way to bash after the closing.

Barring that, you got to Bash to interrupt. Take your DK and get all up in their face, and basically bash every other attack if you don't have a Closer.

If your on the NA server, find me in the game after 7PM Mountain Time this evening, and we will go get this boss. I have a VR in each alliance, so overwhelming force works if you can't get the Bash Interrupt working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IuQ5nC3Brg

Edited by Nestor on May 27, 2015 9:17PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get up close and bash her to interrupt. That's pretty much the only way to stop her from healing up to full. If you're quick with your reactions and bash at the right time, it's really easy to kill her... As long as you're not suffering from any lag. If you're lagging even a bit, this fight can be virtually impossible solo.
    Edited by UrQuan on May 27, 2015 8:10PM
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • OldGuyzRewl
    Nestor:

Thank you. I will message you "in game" after 7pm MST tonight.

Except: "Nestor" isn't your in-game ID. How can I contact you?

Oldguyzrewl
    Edited by OldGuyzRewl on May 28, 2015 1:28AM
  • Surfinginhawaii
    Surfinginhawaii
    ✭✭✭
    I'm leveling 4 characters at the same time and I have killed Varo using my Templer, Sorc, Nightblade and Dragonknight. Like everyone is saying you need to interrupt (use bash) her while she is trying to heal or as a Sorc drop liquid lightning and as a Dragonknight use Eruption. Good luck!
  • OldGuyzRewl
    As a magicka based DK, bash is not an option. Eruption? No effect on her casting, just the usual damage which she easily laughs off.

I've given up trying to solo this quest, and will return (someday, maybe) with 2-3 guild mates to finish the job.

I must say that this is the most disappointing quest I've encountered in this game.
    Edited by OldGuyzRewl on May 28, 2015 1:21PM
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a magicka based DK, bash is not an option. Eruption? No effect on her casting, just the usual damage which she easily laughs off.

I've given up trying to solo this quest, and will return (someday, maybe) with 2-3 guild mates to finish the job.

I must say that this is the most disappointing quest I've encountered in this game.

But why is bashing not an option? Every build, weapon type and class can interrupt with bash, but you need to stand in mele range when you do it. That shouldn't be a problem for a magicka DK, I mean 90% of your magicka class skills are mele. There's no dmg penalty for fighting a boss in mele range either, unless you're a pure bow user.

You only need to bash this boss 1-3 times, while dps'ing, than it's dead. I dont get why people have such problems using a basic ability. But fair enough, I guess if it's some kind of mage or archer archetype thing where standing in mele range ruins immersion, than I understand somewhat .
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor:

Oldguyzrewl

use /whisper @Nestor (I think this is the syntax for that, I don't have much luck initiating a whisper unless the player is standing right next to me)

or send me an email to @Nestor

• OldGuyzRewl
    Tried to send you an email in game, but your user ID is not recognized. Perhaps we are on different servers.
    Nestor wrote: »
    Nestor:

Oldguyzrewl

use /whisper @Nestor (I think this is the syntax for that, I don't have much luck initiating a whisper unless the player is standing right next to me)

or send me an email to @Nestor

• OldGuyzRewl
    I don't need to use "bash" much, so perhaps I am missing something. Left+Right mouse button, right? Doesn't matter if you are using destro stave, correct? Well, tried this multiple times up close and personal, with no significant effect on Cassia. She just goes right on healing herself and kills you almost instantly.
    eliisra wrote: »

But why is bashing not an option? Every build, weapon type and class can interrupt with bash, but you need to stand in mele range when you do it. That shouldn't be a problem for a magicka DK, I mean 90% of your magicka class skills are mele. There's no dmg penalty for fighting a boss in mele range either, unless you're a pure bow user.

You only need to bash this boss 1-3 times, while dps'ing, than it's dead. I dont get why people have such problems using a basic ability. But fair enough, I guess if it's some kind of mage or archer archetype thing where standing in mele range ruins immersion, than I understand somewhat .

Edited by OldGuyzRewl on May 28, 2015 3:00PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tried to send you an email in game, but your user ID is not recognized. Perhaps we are on different servers.

I am on the North American Server, so if you play on the Euro server, then this wont' work. Bummer.

• OldGuyzRewl
    Also on NA server. Don't know why I can't email or whisper "@nestor". You are using a PC, correct? As I understand it, consoles like xbox have different servers.

I am on the North American Server, so if you play on the Euro server, then this wont' work. Bummer.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Case Sensitive?

Send an in game mail to @Nestor and I will get that. I don't think Whispering works if I am off line (because I am at work right now)

• OldGuyzRewl
    The game will not allow me to send you an email - it behaves like it doesn't know you have an account. Also will not allow me to add you as a friend. When you are on, try contacting me at (). I suspect it won't work, but it might be worth a try.
    Edited by OldGuyzRewl on May 29, 2015 3:39PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sent you an invite to Lone Wolf Help last night, and that seemed to go through. I forgot about a Group Event that my guild does on Thursdays that I barely have time to get home and start with them. So, I had a prior commitment last night.

So, I think our accounts can find each other, so perhaps tonight we can kick this guys butt.

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't need to use "bash" much, so perhaps I am missing something. Left+Right mouse button, right? Doesn't matter if you are using destro stave, correct? Well, tried this multiple times up close and personal, with no significant effect on Cassia. She just goes right on healing herself and kills you almost instantly.
    If that's happening then it means that you're not getting the timing right on the bash. That could either be because you're reacting too slowly (possible if you don't use bash to interrupt much), or because you had some lag going on. Either way, hopefully you managed to group up with @Nestor and get this done :)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    If that's happening then it means that you're not getting the timing right on the bash. That could either be because you're reacting too slowly (possible if you don't use bash to interrupt much), or because you had some lag going on. Either way, hopefully you managed to group up with @Nestor and get this done :)

Heh, my EP Templar is VR6, so I assumed she could get to Gold instances of AD. She had been parked for more than a month. Well, she is still on the third zone of DC. I am leveling way fast.

• Sighlynce
    Sighlynce
    ✭✭✭
    Get up close and bash her to interrupt. That's pretty much the only way to stop her from healing up to full. If you're quick with your reactions and bash at the right time, it's really easy to kill her... As long as you're not suffering from any lag. If you're lagging even a bit, this fight can be virtually impossible solo.

this is the only way I defeated him. Once I got him halfway from bashing I hit my ultimate (soul strike) and that ended it for him.
    "What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Heh, my EP Templar is VR6, so I assumed she could get to Gold instances of AD. She had been parked for more than a month. Well, she is still on the third zone of DC. I am leveling way fast.
    Blast! I'd offer to help myself, but I don't have an EP character who can get to Gold yet either. I've killed Cassio Varo multiple times in non-vet for AD characters, and also in the Silver zones for DC, but I haven't gotten there with any EP characters yet. :(
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Blast! I'd offer to help myself, but I don't have an EP character who can get to Gold yet either. I've killed Cassio Varo multiple times in non-vet for AD characters, and also in the Silver zones for DC, but I haven't gotten there with any EP characters yet. :(

I have also noticed that some Bosses are just downright nastier in Gold or Silver than they were in Leveling instances

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have also noticed that some Bosses are just downright nastier in Gold or Silver than they were in Leveling instances
    Definitely, but frankly I steamrolled the Silver version of Cassio Varo way easier than I did the non-vet version (the fight was over so fast I was shocked), so I don't think it's likely that the Gold one is that much harder. For me it really and truly just came down to getting the timing on the bash right, which required me to not have any lag :)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)