The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

[Discussion] Tanking in PvP

• Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imdrefan wrote: »
    I have a healing templar tank build that can keep me up for a very long time. I die from clunky CC break mechanics after being fear with full Stam and when my *** computer decides to run at 5 fps for a little.

With spamming purifying ritual you can mitigate a *** ton of damage and without pots I never run out of magicka.

I can't keep a whole raid alive, I've had to sacrifice a lot of spell damage but I can keep 10-12 alive pretty reliably. My back skill bar is utility and CC/block breaking.

I bumped into Drefan outside Arrius one day and can attest he is one tanky dude :smiley:

Also really good at interrrupt bashing!
  • Imdrefan
    Imdrefan
    ✭✭✭

iseko wrote: »
    @Imdrefan quite interested in your build. What do you mean spamming purifying ritual keeps you alive? The heals are meh compared to BoL. Ok you remove negative effects but still. I switch between efficient purge and BoL for burst heals. Also: my HA tank has 1.9k spell dmg unbuffed and 28k magicka. Regen is crap but like you said: pots (+rune focus) make up for that.

Purifying ritual is really cheap cost, exactly like you said, you just purge everything. All those pesky DK dots, radiant oppression velocious curse, roots, snares. Being able to spam purge on all that greatly increases your survivability.

I sacrifice spell damage for magicka sustain, I'm running 5 pcs heavy seducers 1 pcs blood spawn 2 tourogs 2 adroitness 2 cyrodiils light with block cost reduction or spell cost reduction depending on what im doing. With channeled focus and being high elf I can spam BoL and purge all day.
    Drefan - VR14 AD Templar
    Decibel
    Dark Flare to the Face
  • Imdrefan
    Imdrefan
    ✭✭✭
    Imdrefan wrote: »
    I have a healing templar tank build that can keep me up for a very long time. I die from clunky CC break mechanics after being fear with full Stam and when my *** computer decides to run at 5 fps for a little.

With spamming purifying ritual you can mitigate a *** ton of damage and without pots I never run out of magicka.

I can't keep a whole raid alive, I've had to sacrifice a lot of spell damage but I can keep 10-12 alive pretty reliably. My back skill bar is utility and CC/block breaking.

I bumped into Drefan outside Arrius one day and can attest he is one tanky dude :smiley:

Also really good at interrrupt bashing!

Thanks for the nod, remember you too.
    Drefan - VR14 AD Templar
    Decibel
    Dark Flare to the Face
  • Imdrefan
    Imdrefan
    ✭✭✭
    @Joy_Division you totally got the killing blow on me outside sej not too long ago when I was trying to kite all of you away from the breach.
    Drefan - VR14 AD Templar
    Decibel
    Dark Flare to the Face
  • Milky
    Milky
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to tank pvp, you have to make sure that you are annoying to the enemy.

Currently, bad players will all focus a tank, even if that tank is doing NOTHING useful for his team, no CCs, no damage, no healing, nothing.

But in real pvp against skilled players, that type of tank will be ignored once he is identified for what he is. So to tank in pvp, you have to make yourself irritating. You need to bring CCs, heals, etc.... group utility. Make them have to pay attention to you.

There are some sets out there and skills that allow you to intercept or mitigate damage for other players. I'm currently working on a spec to do just that. Not sure if it will work yet.
  • King Bozo
    King Bozo
    ✭✭✭
    There is no such thing as a pvp tank. Trying taunting other players and tell me if you kept aggro.
  • Milky
    Milky
    ✭✭✭
    King Bozo wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a pvp tank. Trying taunting other players and tell me if you kept aggro.

I don't think the OP had any intention of taunting players. If you think tank builds in pvp aren't a thing, then you have much to learn.

Interestingly enough, you can wear the undaunted bastion set, and taunt a player for the damage shield. The taunt won't work, but the damage shield will.

The more you know.
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tankqull wrote: »
    iseko wrote: »
    Swtor had some pretty interesting tank mechanics for pvp

1) guard: you cast this on a friendly (max 1 friendly at a time). Incoming dmg on them will be reduced by like 20% flat no matter where you are in respect to them. If you are close enough (dont remember the distance) of the remaining 80% dmg, 50% gets transfered to you. The dmg incoming to you also undergoes mitigation through armor etc. I played a immortal juggernaut (i.e. heavy tank) and I specialized in keeping healers alive. This skill was a big part of that.

2) taunting an enemy player made the enemy do 50% reduced dmg vs everyone except you for the duration of the taunt.

There were other skills etc bla bla but these were the major two. Basically reducing incoming dmg to your friends. With a healer buddy of mine we could survive 6 people pounding on us almost indefinetely (pvp in swtor is 8v8). I tank for him while he heals... Would be interesting if they did something like this as well in eso.

TBH those are mostly features they took from Warhammer. Good ones, but warhammer was the first game with useful tank roles.

Nope its ancestor DAoC actually was.

Yeap, DAOCs tanks were actually quite good...Warrior for example was an insanely good Peeler for your Support and such and could do very good damage when needed. Throw in things like Body Guard and Guard itself and they made excellent support as well.

Warhammer though was the first to use the Guard type mechanic..but their Taunt was a bit different from SWTOR....Warhammers Taunt increased the damage then Tank did to the Target.

There was actually another game before SWTOR that borrowed on Warhammers Taunting Mechanic and that was Rift.

It happened to also have the nastiest Taunt mechanic ever in an MMO to date as well.

As good as DAOC Tanks were, and Warhammers and SWTORs for guarding...In Rift you could at one point build a Tank Setup that was extremely hard to kill and had 2 ranged instant target taunts, and 2 AOE taunts...They were around 15 Seconds in Duration from what I remember... You basically could perma keep up the single target ones and alternate the AOE ones.

Anyway if you went down the PvP line you could get them to apply a 65% damage reduction to the enemy..That they couldn't purge.

It was quite possibly the most powerful support toon in the game in a group simply because of the damage reduction....What was sad was very few people ran it in PvP...
  • Solid_Metal
    Solid_Metal
    ✭✭✭✭
    it'll be awesome if they put mechanic player taunting which exclusive to 1h + s skill line
    when get taunt, the enemy can't hit another player, if she/he disobey it, the tank can damage twice the damage or something like that, and it works only on 1 person at a time
    "i will walk through the fog, as i welcome death"
  • Milky
    Milky
    ✭✭✭
    it'll be awesome if they put mechanic player taunting which exclusive to 1h + s skill line
    when get taunt, the enemy can't hit another player, if she/he disobey it, the tank can damage twice the damage or something like that, and it works only on 1 person at a time

It always sounds cool, but in practice... it's really not fun for anyone. If you could CC break it.... maybe.
  • Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorcs actually make really good annoying tanks in pvp.

combinations of things like lightning form, full cyrodils light set, mist form, bound armor, etc.

troll through enemy lines as an electrified squirrel till you start getting low then bolt away laughing.

bonus points if you stack em on you enough to drop a meteor on em :wink:
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
    DK one trick
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imdrefan! Hey man I would like to know exactly what your most common skill set is and when and why you choose certain skills. I am a heal tank in pvp as well, I use healers set instead as I don't plan on doing much damage, and feel that healers gives more healing per second than an extra two pieces of spell power. My first bar looks like this: toppling charge, defensive stance, structured entropy, channeled focus, and breath of life. For my off bar, I'm actually not sure to put here, I have a resto staff currently for magic regen, a ranged light attack for a vampires bane spam if needed, and for healing springs use in my group. I'm really having trouble figuring out what my role is when grouped in a raid. In my small groups os one thing, I am healer and tank while my buddy spanks
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh and does purifying ritual heal kinda like healing springs and rally where it better for hps to spam it? And what is your attribute spread? And gear enchantment spread?
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tanks in veteran campaigns really aren't as good as they used to be prior to 1.6 update. However they are very viable in blackwater blade due to the high time to kill.

In order to get agro, just be the only player visible. It's possible for 1 player to tank several good players on blackwater blade without assistance. Allies can then support by sieging the tank from the safetly of keep walls. You can also delay sieges for reinforcements to arrive.

This works very well on blackwater blade but for vet pvp it is better to have DPS and Heals and no dedicated tank as there are fewer ways they can contribute.
    NA | PC | Aldmeri Dominion
    Laser Eyes AR 26 Arcanist | Stalker V AR 41 Warden | I Stalker I AR 42 NB | Stalkersaurus AR 31 Templar | Stalker Ill AR 31 Sorc | Nigel the Great of Blackwater
    Former Emperor x11 campaign cycles
    Venatus Officer | RIP RÁGE | YouTube Channel