Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Snow In The North Of Cyrodil?

Mashille
Mashille
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
The snow in the North of Cyrodil doesn't make any sense. Why would there be snow in the North of Cyrodil if there is none in the Southern part of The Rift.
House Baratheon: 'Ours Is The Fury'
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cyrodil is a higher elevation then Rift.
  • Molsondry
    Molsondry
    ✭✭✭
    Tehre snoow in the hills where is the montain.
    v9 Sorcerer
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    Cyrodil is a higher elevation then Rift.
    Yes. Don't forget the Jerall Mountains on the border between Skyrim and Cyrodiil. Also, I'm sure there is snow in all holds of Skyrim, just not all year round. Unfortunately, the games don't have seasonal weather changes.
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An in-game splash screen also tries to explain that the relatively temper climate in the Rift is partly due to hot winds from the nearby volcanic regions Vvardenfell and Stonefalls, and those hot winds are supposedly blocked by the Jerall Mountains and spread eastward across the south of Skyrim instead of leaking south into northern Cyrodiil.

If that explanation doesn't sound quite credible to you, just take a deep breath and say "because magic".
  • Kupoking
    Kupoking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aye, The Rift is a Valley. All the mountains around it has snow (and a lot of it. Think Greybeards).

In fact, in Skyrim There is snow in Helgen but not in Riften, which is at approx the same Latitude. Helgen is much more elevated though.

If you travel North From BRK all the way to Dragonclaw you will notice that you seem to always go uphill.
    Edited by Kupoking on May 23, 2015 5:32PM
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Northern Cyrodiil has mountains that border Skyrim. Look at the architecture in Bruma when you go - Nord influenced. Snow comes over from Skyrim and the mountainous borders.
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • Elder_III
    Elder_III
    ✭✭✭✭
    Northern Cyrodil was snow covered in TESIV:Oblivion too.
    Semi retired from the trading aspects of the game.
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The northern part of the area is nothing but mountains and hills Hsve explored the map in this game and iv and your always going up hill when your moving north.
  • CapnPhoton
    CapnPhoton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you remember both ES IV Oblivion, and ES V Skyrim, there is snow on both sides of those mountains and surrounding land leading up to them. It is consistent with real world environments and higher elevations. Most of the area around Riften is a basin.
    Xbox One NA Aldmeri Dominion
  • alaiham2002
    As in Skyrim, the northern part is icy while the southern part is grass.
  • YourDugsBalls
    There are also other area's in Skyrim that you know feel really cold even though there is no snow. The Moors where the giants live in the central area are very low ground but the lack of trees there gives the impression that this ground definately carries an icy fast wind
    Veteran Rank 6 Knightblade - Dark Elf (Tank/2h Switch)
    Veteran Rank 1 Templar - Nord (Melee/Heal Tank)

Crescent Moon Clan
    Guild Rank: Alpha
    Click here for our recruitment thread
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/197718/crescent-moon-clan-ebonheart-pact-any-level-vampire-werewolf-clan#latest

Add me on PS4 : YourDugsBalls
  • Ferretstalker
    Ferretstalker
    ✭✭✭
    There are also other area's in Skyrim that you know feel really cold even though there is no snow. The Moors where the giants live in the central area are very low ground but the lack of trees there gives the impression that this ground definately carries an icy fast wind

You wanna talk about an icy wind? Just hang around my ex-wife!

*crickets*
  • Nichordius
    Nichordius
    ✭✭
    Well the Rift IS orange... Wait, why is it orange?
  • Paazhahdrimaak
    Paazhahdrimaak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play Oblivion. Travel to Bruma. Tell me what you see :)
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In Oblivion Bruma and its surrounding area was at a very high elevation, essentially part of the Jerall Mountains. ESO kept the snow but for some bizarre reason did very little with elevation.

Maybe for easier PVP? I'd love the idea of guerilla warfare up mountain passes and switchbacks though, rather than constantly battling in open grassland. I didn't think it was possible to make a more geographically mundane version of Cyrodiil than Oblivion's presentation, but here we are...
  • CJohnson81
    CJohnson81
    ✭✭✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »
    In Oblivion Bruma and its surrounding area was at a very high elevation, essentially part of the Jerall Mountains. ESO kept the snow but for some bizarre reason did very little with elevation.

Maybe for easier PVP? I'd love the idea of guerilla warfare up mountain passes and switchbacks though, rather than constantly battling in open grassland. I didn't think it was possible to make a more geographically mundane version of Cyrodiil than Oblivion's presentation, but here we are...

Yeah, it's hard not to wish that Cyrodiil was just the original Oblivion map. The game would be absolutely massive, but it's the future! It can be done! I particularly wish there were more forests. The grasslands would be more fun if you could also hightail it to the woods to ambush and hide.
    Huor Melwasul - Archdemon, The Demons of Light - Warlock, Hufflepuff House - ADXB1 - NA
    I'm only updating this because we're commenting on a thread about signatures. Give me awesomes!