Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Ranged Tank Build Suggestions

TheElf
TheElf
✭✭
Hi all,

I am wanting to get an idea on the consensus from the community about the viability of a ranged tank in ESO. I don't come from a very heavy background in MMO's, but I have enjoyed the Elder Scrolls game for a decade and enjoyed SWtOR. In SWtOR I excelled at the Commando class which could be spec'd as a ranged tank. I was hoping that a similar build could be achieved in ESO but have been unable to find any guides or suggestions with how to pursue that.

I've been attempting to make my own using a combination of the DragonKnight class and using a bow, however it just doesn't feel as "Tanky" to me as when I played my Commando in SWtOR. I'm unsure whether its the nature of this game that tanks just don't really stand out or feel like they're mitigating large amounts of damage, or if I'm just not looking at the right abilities. I know there's at least one taunt (in the Undaunted or Fighters Guild ability line, correct me if I'm wrong), but other than that it feels like my bow attacks are simply not doing enough damage or threat production to keep baddies focused on me.

Again, I just wanted to get a consensus on whether the community feels like this build is achievable in this game. Whether or not its viable or useful is another matter and I'm willing to chug through the game to make up my own mind on that part. I'm pretty strictly a PvE guy, so I'm not too concerned with being competitive on the PvP front but would like to be feel competitive when it comes to end game content. So what do you guys think?
  • TheSunAlsoRises
    TheSunAlsoRises
    ✭✭✭
    the problem with being solely ranged (or not 1h/shield, assuming your going to use a bow or staff?) is that you lose out on the mitigation and stats a shield would provide. also, the 1h/shield line gives some good passives to improve your blocking.

could you still survive a normal or even vet dungeon? sure, with the right gear and skills (and player skill). i'm not so sure about trials but i've not done any yet.

however, nothing says you can't have 1h/shield on one bar and your 2nd bar being whatever ranged weapon you want. i usually run 1h/shield and healing staff on most of my chars who tank and 1h/shield and bow on my NB. so you could in theory, pick up aggro, switch to dps bar and go back to 1h/shield when you really need to block.
    No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe
  • TheSunAlsoRises
    TheSunAlsoRises
    ✭✭✭
    TheElf wrote: »
    I'm unsure whether its the nature of this game that tanks just don't really stand out or feel like they're mitigating large amounts of damage, or if I'm just not looking at the right abilities. I know there's at least one taunt (in the Undaunted or Fighters Guild ability line, correct me if I'm wrong), but other than that it feels like my bow attacks are simply not doing enough damage or threat production to keep baddies focused on me.

also, tanks do stand out. a good tank is not hard to notice. mitigation matters (especially in the tougher veteran dungeons).

and yes, there are two taunts in the game. one from 1h/shield and ranged taunt from undaunted. very rarely need to use the ranged taunt.

another thing to note is the aggro mechanic is kinda whack in this game. once you hit a mob with taunt, it sticks to you for the full duration unless you "over taunt".

Good place to see all the skill trees: http://eso-skills.com/skill/

EDIT: added link to a talent tree if you haven't used on yet.
    Edited by TheSunAlsoRises on May 22, 2015 2:46PM
    No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aggro is not the main concern here. You just need one taunt, be it from the 1h shield line or the range taunt from the Undaunted line.

However, you can't Kite the mobs well enough to handle range tanking unless your whole group supports your way of tanking. What i mean by this is that your group has snares, stuns and knockdowns while you taunt and mitigate the damage done.

Can ranged tanking be done? sure can. but how viable is it in endgame... well... that still remains to be seen.

I had a thought, what if you can do it like Wildstar did with their Engineer class. A pet range tanking spec. you could probably do it with your pet Clannfear while spamming Hardened Ward. That would mean you kite and gain yourself some space with the rest if the mobs by Restraining Prison and Streak.

Wear heavy and light armor ( a set of heavy though, you need the mitigation ) and use Restoration Staff with destro staff for better mana management.

damn i should try this. Sounds like my Beastmaster build that i posted in http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/166838/themed-builds#latest For Themed builds.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • TheElf
    TheElf
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the input everyone. I'm gonna be away for the weekend but I'm definitely going to look more into all of this. Its unfortunate that it seems like tanking with just a bow is being limited, and I guess it makes since considering the intuitiveness and nature of using a shield; I guess I was just hoping I could be as effective as I was in SWtOR at ranged tanking but it seems like it would just be more work than it is worth for me.

Thanks again though - I appreciate all your inputs!
  • PhatGrimReaper
    PhatGrimReaper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The question isn't "Is ranged tanking viable?", but I question of what situations call for a ranged tank.

There are boss fight's throughout the game where a ranged tank is actually far better than a Melee tank and others where kiting the boss actually makes things harder....
    EXAMPLE: Last boss of vet Fungal grotto... Far better to be a ranged tank
    2nd Last boss of vCoH... this fight doesn't realy need a tank, but a DK with Reflective Scales can solo it.
    Last boss of vCoH.... starts out being better tanking from range, but easier to tank the ghosts at a melee range.

IMO... a ranged only tank will struggle with a lot of fights, but every tank needs to have a ranged option open to them for when the situation calls for it.
    Fat Grim Reaper - (m)Dragon Knight AR28
    F G R Junior - Templar AR26
    This One Had Name Changed - Nightblade AR19
    Fat Grim Streaker - Sorcerer AR15
    M12-GM - Guardians of the Twelve-GM - Crown Store Heroes - ETU
    RÀGE - R.I.P
  • Mivryna
    Mivryna
    ✭✭✭
    It is technically possible, but the game really isn't built to support it like SWTOR is. A bit unfortuante, as Jedi Shadow mid-range, agile tanking was always my favourite.

I've tried all manners of tanking on my sorcerer, with stamina, magicka, and health builds, ranged, melee, and such. Range just didn't work well. Because tanking in ESO is about distracting the "big guy" rather than holding everything, you're always holding something that can't be snared or immobilized, and in-turn can't be kited efficiently.

What was a bit more effective was pure-magicka tanking on my sorcerer. Hardened Ward is basically a spammable healthbar, as long as you've got the magicka for it. On enemies that did less than 10k per hit, I never got hurt. Unfortunately to keep this up requires vast amounts of magicka and cost reduction, which are only really feasible with light armour. So anything that did over 20k damage in one attack would essentially obliterate me outright. With enough dedication it could be viable for pledges, but it takes full commitment.

Ultimately the only tanks that are relevant at end-game are the ones with tons of mitigation (from heavy armour, or maaaybe medium) and a shield for blocking. It would be fun to see others become competitive, but right now they just don't hold up.