The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Carfting questions ZOS please respond.

Darklord_Tiberius
Darklord_Tiberius
✭✭✭✭
I just had some questions about things and since I cannot find any threads on these figured I would start one and pray to Akatosh someone from ZOS will respond.

1. Will we ever see jewelry crafting in this game? I know it was in early beta and was removed; but not being able to craft jewelry severely limits our itemization. Either let the players craft jewelry or make every dropped set have a neck and rings. So many people are running the same cookie cutter sets because the itemization is rather horrendous. Maybe not as bad as swtor and having to buy one piece of end PvP gear to get an enhancement, but it is still pretty bad.

2. Will crafters ever be able to add sets to dropped items? This game has hundreds if not more, of rare and epic level items that are named, ie Murkhammer, knife of shadows, etc; but they are completely useless. If crafters were given more freedom to manipulate dropped items I think it would add more itemization to the game. Right now, pretty much anything without a set bonus other than a few of the master weapons; is garbage either to sell to a vendor or decon.

3. Allow alchemist to decon potions. Its only far that we get the same option as every other crafting profession. Every crafting profession can farm for materials and every profession can decon items, except alchemists. Why are we discriminated against?
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To point 3 :

Provisioning cannot be deconstructed either, because it's cooked.
    What do you expect from "deconstructing" a potion ? you have a liquid thing and you want flowers back ? Hum...

Even deconstructing glyphs sounds strange to me but hey, that's magic anyway.
  • retyler3_ESO
    retyler3_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with anitajoneb17_ESO. Deconstructing a potion should not be added.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To point 3 :

What do you expect from "deconstructing" a potion ? you have a liquid thing and you want flowers back ? Hum...

Even more than drop potions are a lower quality than what we craft. I don't see a logical return from potion deconstruction.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To point 3 :

Even more than drop potions are a lower quality than what we craft. I don't see a logical return from potion deconstruction.
    I could see potion "deconstruction" added as a way to learn what plants went into it. So basically if you destroy a healing potion this way, you don't physically get anything back from it, but you learn that it was made from X and Y (with the actual plants being randomly determined from those that have the restore health trait) and so you learn the trait on those plants if you didn't already know it. It would be of limited utility, and only really useful to a starting alchemist (and even then limited further by the fact that dropped potions are only restore health, or magicka, or stamina), but it could be an interesting way to do things.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Rook_Master
    Rook_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To that point, the only thing that really can be deconstructed is metal, since it can be smelted down.

How do you deconstruct a leather shoe, or belt? You can't melt leather down either.
  • Daemons_Bane
    Daemons_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To that point, the only thing that really can be deconstructed is metal, since it can be smelted down.

How do you deconstruct a leather shoe, or belt? You can't melt leather down either.

You're right, to a point.. For example take a leather breastplate.. That big piece of leather could make a lot of vambraces

• ContraTempo
    ContraTempo
    ✭✭✭✭

Well, there is both reconstructing and piecing. In reconstructing you take existing clothing and remake it, typically into a smaller size. With piecing you take pieces of some material -- usually cloth -- and sew them together to make a larger piece of cloth. Both of these were very common practices in the middle ages.

Yeah, I am a history nerd.
    ContraTempo
    Carpe DM
    Seize the Dungeon Master

• anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're quite right, even though, as already stated, big pieces can be re-cut to make smaller pieces.

Still, there are already a few big inconsistencies in the crafting system (Dwemer metal produced in the wilderness by mother nature ??? Ebony cloth produced by plants... ???), let's not add some more by retrieving plants from potions :D

I fancy the idea of identifying ingredients and traits from potions though.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    To point 3 :

I could see potion "deconstruction" added as a way to learn what plants went into it. So basically if you destroy a healing potion this way, you don't physically get anything back from it, but you learn that it was made from X and Y (with the actual plants being randomly determined from those that have the restore health trait) and so you learn the trait on those plants if you didn't already know it. It would be of limited utility, and only really useful to a starting alchemist (and even then limited further by the fact that dropped potions are only restore health, or magicka, or stamina), but it could be an interesting way to do things.

If they add that players would then complain that they cannot decon the drop potions which shouldn't reveal anything since they are inferior and therefore would be made from items we do not have. Additionaly, a decon of s crafted potion would likely only reveal part of the mixture.

Alchemy is by far the easiest craft to level. Discovery of what different plants will do is also extremely easy in the current format. It is absurdly easy in the current format and should not be changed.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could see potion "deconstruction" added as a way to learn what plants went into it. ......but you learn that it was made from X and Y

We kind of already have this. Just eat a Reagent (Use it) and you learn the first effect of the reagent.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• ContraTempo
    ContraTempo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I could see potion "deconstruction" added as a way to learn what plants went into it. ......but you learn that it was made from X and Y

We kind of already have this. Just eat a Reagent (Use it) and you learn the first effect of the reagent.

Or, if you just want to know how to make a potion, look it up in any of the many online potion guides. For example:

esouniverse.com/guides/crafting/alchemy/
    ContraTempo
    Carpe DM
    Seize the Dungeon Master

• anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But we're talking about game mechanics here, they do NOT include online guides :expressionless: