The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

dro-m'Athra? Why are they being changed?

GhostwalkerLD
GhostwalkerLD
✭✭✭✭
The dro-m'Athra, or ancient dark spirits, feature prominently in many story lines involving the Khajiit, particularly in the Aldmeri Dominion quests.

Yet while I was questing through Reaper's March today, after several months' absence and now leveling a new alt, I noticed that these dark spirits, formerly named only 'dro-m'Athra' (and still referred to as such in all of the audio dialogue) are now named all sorts of other things... in Moonmont, you have dar-m'Athra running around.. and inside Do'Krin monastery, you have senche breeds of the dro-m'Athra now being called Sa-m'Athra????

Why did some dev or another feel the need to make these edits? They make absolutely no sense, don't factor in any of the lore (even that which has already been established for this game), and frankly get on my nerves, both as a writer and someone who has enjoyed the Elder Scrolls and their lore for many years.

The dro-m'Athra are only referred to as dro-m'Athra, and always have been (particularly in all spoken quest dialogues) until apparently someone decided to make all these little edits to certain NPCs in various locales.

Could someone please chime in as to why? I see these edits and I'm reminded of a certain sci-fi director's need to go back and make all sorts of needless changes to his previous works just because he can, lore or story be damned.

I know. VERY minor issue in terms of gameplay or whatever, but as someone who rather enjoys Elder Scrolls lore and likes to write stories within them, it bugs me.

Granted, I've been absent for quite some time and haven't done these quests in many months at least, maybe it was always like this before and I never noticed, but I doubt it.
Edited by GhostwalkerLD on May 16, 2015 9:07AM
PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How strange... maybe @ZOS_TristanK can ping the Reaper's March zone lead or Loremaster Lawrence to explain this...
    Please and thank you!
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • GhostwalkerLD
    GhostwalkerLD
    ✭✭✭✭
    Checked through Grimwatch again (I have two alts I'm leveling together) and sure enough every dialogue says "dro-m'Athra" and yet all of the enemies around the fort and inside of Khaj-Rawlith are dar-m'Athra.... (with the exception of the boss enemy, who is shown as a "Dro-m'Athra Illusionist") what the fluff?

Yes, please, @ZOS_TristanK or some of the others! Can we get an answer as to why all of these NPCs are being changed?
    Edited by GhostwalkerLD on May 15, 2015 7:03PM
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • elias.stormneb18_ESO
    The dro-m'Athra, or ancient dark spirits, feature prominently in many story lines involving the Khajiit, particularly in the Aldmeri Dominion quests.

Yet while I was questing through Reaper's March today, after several months' absence and now leveling a new alt, I noticed that these dark spirits, formerly named only 'dro-m'Athra' (and still referred to as such in all of the audio dialogue) are now named all sorts of other things... in Moonmont, you have dar-m'Athra running around.. and inside Do'Krin monastery, you have senche breeds of the dro-m'Athra now being called Sa-m'Athra????

Why did some dev or another feel the need to make these edits? They make absolutely no sense, don't factor in any of the lore (even that which has already been established for this game), and frankly get on my nerves, both as a writer and someone who has enjoyed the Elder Scrolls and their lore for many years.

The dro-m'Athra are only referred to as dro-m'Athra, and always have been (particularly in all spoken quest dialogues) until apparently someone decided to make all these little edits to certain NPCs in various locales.

Could someone please chime in as to why? I see these edits and I'm reminded of a certain sci-fi director's need to go back and make all sorts of needless changes to his previous works just because he can, lore or story be damned.

I know. VERY minor issue in terms of gameplay or whatever, but as someone who rather enjoys Elder Scrolls lore and likes to write stories within them, it bugs me.

Granted, I've been absent for quite some time and haven't done these quests in many months at least, maybe it was always like this before and I never noticed, but I doubt it.

You stad at the edge of the rabbit hole, but refuse to jump in. Interesting...

"Namiira, Namiira j'Thii Lor'za-Maar. Dro'sar, Dar'sar mrithii m'Athra. Mrith jan Zha'ja Lorkhaj."
    Edited by elias.stormneb18_ESO on February 12, 2016 2:00PM
  • elias.stormneb18_ESO
    *Accidentally double posted*

Edited by elias.stormneb18_ESO on February 12, 2016 2:00PM
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *Accidentally necro-posted*
    Corrected that for you ;)
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
  • elias.stormneb18_ESO
    Enodoc wrote: »
    *Accidentally necro-posted*
    Corrected that for you ;)

Oh no, the ambassadors have found me out! Now I must make my timely and impressive escape through this unreasonably small window.
    Edited by elias.stormneb18_ESO on February 12, 2016 4:12PM
  • Prabooo
    Prabooo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Checked through Grimwatch again (I have two alts I'm leveling together) and sure enough every dialogue says "dro-m'Athra" and yet all of the enemies around the fort and inside of Khaj-Rawlith are dar-m'Athra.... (with the exception of the boss enemy, who is shown as a "Dro-m'Athra Illusionist") what the fluff?

Yes, please, @ZOS_TristanK or some of the others! Can we get an answer as to why all of these NPCs are being changed?

dro-m'Athra is the plural noun, dar-m'Athra the singular
    Edited by Prabooo on February 15, 2016 11:59PM
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prabooo wrote: »

@Prabooo Where did you get that idea from? dro and dar are both honorifics. dro is a title applied to wise elders, patriarchs, and grandfathers, and dar is a title earned by those who are nimble in fingers and wits, and are both inquisitive and acquisitive. In this context, if we extrapolate Athra to mean spirit, dro-m'Athra could be extrapolated to be elder spirits, while dar-m'Athra could be spirits of thieves and brigands.
  • Prabooo
    Prabooo
    ✭✭✭✭

@Prabooo Where did you get that idea from? dro and dar are both honorifics. dro is a title applied to wise elders, patriarchs, and grandfathers, and dar is a title earned by those who are nimble in fingers and wits, and are both inquisitive and acquisitive. In this context, if we extrapolate Athra to mean spirit, dro-m'Athra could be extrapolated to be elder spirits, while dar-m'Athra could be spirits of thieves and brigands.

I made that up, but your explanation sounds very cool, thanks
  • elias.stormneb18_ESO

I made that up, but your explanation sounds very cool, thanks

http://www.imperial-library.info/content/khajiiti-honorifics