Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

grinding ? explain

kodo
kodo
✭✭
i see many complain that they need to grind in order to progress or lvl,and i just dont understand it,pls clarify it for me..
i'm now v2, i started already silver, not yet finished the first zone of second faction (auridon) , which in it i should be v1, when i'm now almost close to v3.
for grahtwood i need to be v2,when i already close to v3 before even starting it...
so i wonder, am i progressing too fast or what ? :)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grinding, is doing anything over and over again for a goal. It could be running a dungeon over and over again to get a specific loot drop. Usually it is killing groups of mobs, hopefully fast spawning, mostly for experience and sometimes loot/gold. Some Achievements require Grinding to complete, although most of them will come eventually if you just play the content.

The drama about Grinding is some people want to do it, and ZOS seems to be focused on reducing the incentives to grind as an effective way to level.

As for the levels you are at, your doing fine. Content is the best way to level, as grinding is not, and your on track to be at VR12 or better by the time you finish Silver and Gold. What you can do is skip some content in the zones, then come back when your enlightened to get those CPs. I do this on a couple of my characters. I am not sure at what level the CP earned drops off, but I get enough that I don't feel like I am wasting my time.
    Edited by Nestor on May 6, 2015 8:33PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your progressing just fine. As long as you are either above or at the level of the area your questing in it's good. Enjoy all the content as Cadwells was really fun to do.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kodo wrote: »
    so i wonder, am i progressing too fast or what ? :)
    Progressing too fast is really only a concern before you hit the VR zones. On almost all of my characters, by the time I was halfway through the last pre-Coldharbour zone I was high enough level that I was starting to get quests that were greyed-out (meaning that the enemies I'd be fighting on those quests wouldn't give any XP or drop any loot).

Once you hit the VR zones, that doesn't happen, so it's all good.

And yeah, if you're out-leveling the content and enjoying doing it, no need to worry about grinding. I sure don't.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • kodo
    kodo
    ✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Grinding, is doing anything over and over again for a goal. It could be running a dungeon over and over again to get a specific loot drop. Usually it is killing groups of mobs, hopefully fast spawning, mostly for experience and sometimes loot/gold. Some Achievements require Grinding to complete, although most of them will come eventually if you just play the content.

The drama about Grinding is some people want to do it, and ZOS seems to be focused on reducing the incentives to grind as an effective way to level.

As for the levels you are at, your doing fine. Content is the best way to level, as grinding is not, and your on track to be at VR12 or better by the time you finish Silver and Gold. What you can do is skip some content in the zones, then come back when your enlightened to get those CPs. I do this on a couple of my characters. I am not sure at what level the CP earned drops off, but I get enough that I don't feel like I am wasting my time.

thanx all for the answers.
    so according to what u say,i'll be v12 when i finish silver,that way will start gold over levele to all remaining zones..
    it's strange cause i never do any grinding,i just do all the contents,never repeat places,strange.
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

so according to what u say,i'll be v12 when i finish silver,that way will start gold over levele to all remaining zones..
    it's strange cause i never do any grinding,i just do all the contents,never repeat places,strange.
    I disagree with what he said, my highest character is VR10 and she was 250k short of VR10 when she finished the VR10 zone. She had begun the VR2 zone into VR3 but by the time she finished all the VR10 content she was behind.

She has all soloable achievements completed in all three faction zones, and the majority of world bosses and all dolmens, all she lacks are the group dungeons and they're certainly not going to give 2m XP to make her up to VR12.

Edited by KerinKor on May 7, 2015 12:21PM
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exp much depends on how many enemies you kill while doing "content". Remember that 10 normal mobs is about the same exp as a side quest. You might feel is if you're not grinding, but repeatable killing every single enemy in the quest area(while doing objectives), will grant you more exp than the actual quest itself.

You should aim for VR7-8 before even starting quests in gold zones. Only getting one VR level from each zone is not enough to get you VR12, not to mention VR14. Need more like 1.5-2 levels from a zone now that Craglorn is out of the equation after multiple exp nerfs.

So you being VR2/VR3 in a VR1 zone is much according to plans. Keep milking lower level zones until you hit the exp penalty/over-leveled. That is, if you want to avoid grinding mobs over and over in the last 2 gold zones to hit level cap.
  • Lifsteinn
    Lifsteinn
    ✭✭✭
    ...i'll be v12 when i finish silver,that way will start gold over levele to all remaining zones..

There is no chance at all for you to be v12 with silver only. You are a little ahead because you probably were v1 when started doing silver. Doing everything in all the maps will place you v6 at most, if you are ESO+ and group with one friend (and one only).

And you might have spent 4 hours completing the entire first zone of silver. With "grinding" you can level from v1 to v2 in 1 hour. That is why people grind.
  • kodo
    kodo
    ✭✭
    Lifsteinn wrote: »
    ...i'll be v12 when i finish silver,that way will start gold over levele to all remaining zones..

There is no chance at all for you to be v12 with silver only. You are a little ahead because you probably were v1 when started doing silver. Doing everything in all the maps will place you v6 at most, if you are ESO+ and group with one friend (and one only).

And you might have spent 4 hours completing the entire first zone of silver. With "grinding" you can level from v1 to v2 in 1 hour. That is why people grind.

well, i'm almost v3 now,and still havent finished entire first zone in silver,and just started the small island kennarthis rust.
    one thing i know for sure: ever since i got to v1 i'm always in enlightment status,always.it doesnt matter if i play once a week or every day,whenever i start the game it tells me that.i'm a completionist so i do all quests and all dolmens ,dungeons,everything,i clear entire map before moving to next zone, i'm no eso plus, never group with anyone.
  • Zorgon_The_Revenged
    Zorgon_The_Revenged
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Through PvE and PvP in Cyrodiil with Guild mates along with normal vr questing I have managed to hit vr14 during or even entering the last gold content zone and my current vr8 character is close to vr9 going into the gold content starter zone.

This is good because when I come across an area that is being stripped of all living (or undead) things by players grinding, I don't feel like they are taking away an important part of my experience. Saying that, on some quests you need to kill certain creatures to collect certain items, running around after grinding zergs trying to get at least one hit in can get very frustrating.

A vr14 player rounding up groups of vr5 npc's? sad, very sad but I'm sure they are having fun.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [

No you will be at or near VR12 when you finish the Caldwell Gold Content.

• Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's entirely possible you don't play enough to ever leave enlightenment, therefore you're constantly getting 4x more XP per quest as someone who plays constantly. This would get farther along in lvl compared to what zone you're in as a player who plays 8+ hrs a day.
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Through PvE and PvP in Cyrodiil with Guild mates along with normal vr questing I have managed to hit vr14 during or even entering the last gold content zone and my current vr8 character is close to vr9 going into the gold content starter zone.

This is good because when I come across an area that is being stripped of all living (or undead) things by players grinding, I don't feel like they are taking away an important part of my experience. Saying that, on some quests you need to kill certain creatures to collect certain items, running around after grinding zergs trying to get at least one hit in can get very frustrating.

A vr14 player rounding up groups of vr5 npc's? sad, very sad but I'm sure they are having fun.

This wouldn't happen usually as you don't get XP for mobs <5 VR to your level.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KerinKor wrote: »
    I disagree with what he said, my highest character is VR10 and she was 250k short of VR10 when she finished the VR10 zone. She had begun the VR2 zone into VR3 but by the time she finished all the VR10 content she was behind.

My NB hit VR12 just as he was walking up to the final quest area in Bangkori for Gold. This was prior to 1.6. I have not done much with him since though.
    Edited by Nestor on May 7, 2015 2:35PM

• Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lifsteinn wrote: »

It's not that fast anymore. The mudcrab exploit maybe, but that was short lived and an exploit. Any legit grind it more like 1VR every 4-6 hrs.
  • Zorgon_The_Revenged
    Zorgon_The_Revenged
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cuyler wrote: »

Monsters
    •In preparation for the Champion System, we have increased the XP granted to you for killing lower rank monsters:

•You will receive full credit for monsters 1-3 ranks below you.
    •You will receive 75% of XP for monsters 4 ranks below you.
    •You will receive 30% of XP for monsters 5 or more ranks below you.
    •Note: This does not affect levels 1-50.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/139302/patch-notes-v1-5-3#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/139784/patch-notes-v1-5-4#latest

Edited by Zorgon_The_Revenged on May 7, 2015 2:49PM
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cuyler wrote: »

Monsters
    •In preparation for the Champion System, we have increased the XP granted to you for killing lower rank monsters:

•You will receive full credit for monsters 1-3 ranks below you.
    •You will receive 75% of XP for monsters 4 ranks below you.
    •You will receive 30% of XP for monsters 5 or more ranks below you.
    •Note: This does not affect levels 1-50.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/139302/patch-notes-v1-5-3#latest
    Ok so 30% of XP LOL. Still validates my point. A v14 won't normally go to a low zone to pull mobs due to this reason.