The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Questions from a casual crafter

Ajensis
Ajensis
Soul Shriven
Hello!

I recently returned after a year's absence and I've got a few questions regarding crafting. I remember back at launch you kinda needed a crafting buddy to exchange crafted items for deconstruction, but I never really found one, so I've been getting by on decon'ing loot and quest rewards. However, now that I'm back, I'm getting a bit tired of having hundreds of ingots taking up space. So I came here to see if there were anyone looking for a crafting buddy, but... no one is. Am I just the only one without friends or did they remove the penalty for deconstructing your own crafted items? :) or does everyone join guilds and find people there? I'm sure most do, but not seeing a single thread here on the first couple of pages makes me wonder...

In case a crafting buddy is still needed, would anyone like to team up with me? Or even just craft stuff with my materials, then send the items back - that's still a valid method, right? My main foci are on Blacksmith (level 24), Enchanting (level 15), Woodworker (level 25) and Clothing (level 21). And I'm on EU :)

Thanks in advance for any help and insight! Still feel like a novice, so anything would probably help :) oh, except crafting writs, I already do those as often as possible.

- Ajensis
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can make an alt, craft the items with him, and deconstruct them on your main.
  • NovaMarx
    NovaMarx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    You can make an alt, craft the items with him, and deconstruct them on your main.

I would recommend this as well.

But if you really want a buddy, I might be interested (I am on EU as well).
    I have one crafting buddy so far, and we just send random stuff to each other that we craft, and it works pretty well.

"Feet are for walking. Hands are for hitting. Or shaking. Or waving. Sometimes for clapping."
    - M'aiq the Liar
  • Ajensis
    Ajensis
    Soul Shriven
    Sharee wrote: »

... I feel silly now. Of course. I even did that myself last year o.O I just forgot! Damn... I must be getting old. Thank you!
    NovaMarx wrote: »
    But if you really want a buddy, I might be interested (I am on EU as well).
    I have one crafting buddy so far, and we just send random stuff to each other that we craft, and it works pretty well.

Oh, nice, appreciate it :) I might hit you up for some enchantment ("Enchantment? Enchantment!" /obligatory Dragon Age reference) since that is an excruciating profession to advance and even the craft-XP is worth it. Plus, I'd have to level up my alt to use higher-level runestones. Wait, I have to do that for the other professions too. Damn. How is one supposed to have time for so many characters? Anyway, rambling now, I'll try and catch you in-game at some point :) cheers!
  • Jorgeaux
    Jorgeaux
    To increase quickly your crafting level, try to steal weapons and armors at the shops and then deconstruct them.

For enchanthing you need a friend to craft glyphs and deconstruct them.
    AD Nightblade v14

You name it, I get it.
  • Ajensis
    Ajensis
    Soul Shriven
    Jorgeaux wrote: »
    To increase quickly your crafting level, try to steal weapons and armors at the shops and then deconstruct them.

For enchanthing you need a friend to craft glyphs and deconstruct them.

Only one of my three characters are into nicking stuff that aren't theirs :P but yeah, if I didn't care about that, it'd be solid advice :) and thanks for confirming my suspicions about Enchanting. I'd hoped it would be easier when I returned, but it's still a hassle, unfortunately. Oh well.
  • NovaMarx
    NovaMarx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, nice, appreciate it :) I might hit you up for some enchantment ("Enchantment? Enchantment!" /obligatory Dragon Age reference) since that is an excruciating profession to advance and even the craft-XP is worth it. Plus, I'd have to level up my alt to use higher-level runestones. Wait, I have to do that for the other professions too. Damn. How is one supposed to have time for so many characters? Anyway, rambling now, I'll try and catch you in-game at some point :) cheers!

Sure, just PM in-game (or add me as a friend if you find it easier) if/when you wanna trade - p.s. I work within every craft. But enchanting is definitely the most time consuming craft :wink:
    "Feet are for walking. Hands are for hitting. Or shaking. Or waving. Sometimes for clapping."
    - M'aiq the Liar
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ajensis wrote: »

Oh, nice, appreciate it :) I might hit you up for some enchantment ("Enchantment? Enchantment!" /obligatory Dragon Age reference) since that is an excruciating profession to advance and even the craft-XP is worth it.

If you decon all the glyphs you get from loot drops, your Enchanting will level up along with your character. They changed this back in 1.5 (1.4?) to give more exp with decons. So, now unless you have to do some major catching up, just decon glyphs as you go along. If you need to catch up, go farm undead and deadra mobs, they drop glyphs.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's also a guild intended purely for trading crafting items for decon and research, so if you're on the NA server you may want to check them out:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/77559/trade-alliance-na-crafting-guild-traits-and-deconstruction-trading/p1
    Basically you craft items for decon/research and put them in the guild bank, while withdrawing items other people put in there for the same purpose.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)