The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Remove dwarven spheres from Cyrodiil

Baphomet
Baphomet
✭✭✭✭✭
Because they screw up competitive PvP due to their hit boxes cluttering the PvP environment.

With the targeting system being what it is (and I like it), bringing something like these into PvP has to be one of the poorest choices I've seen in a long time.

Please rethink these constructs and how the mess up the targeting.

It's bad enough that sorcs can hide behind atronachs and pets - we don't need this, too.
- The Psijic Order
- TKO
- Dominant Dominion
- The Noore
  • Vis
    Vis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baphomet wrote: »
    Because they screw up competitive PvP due to their hit boxes cluttering the PvP environment.

With the targeting system being what it is (and I like it), bringing something like these into PvP has to be one of the poorest choices I've seen in a long time.

It's bad enough that sorcs can hide behind atronachs and pets - we don't need this, too.

They are a random proc from the Engine Guardian set. They may be annoying, but since they are from gear (which costs slots that could be used for different effects), they remain a viable build option.

Edit: it is not the only set that randomly procs pets either.
    Edited by Vis on May 4, 2015 12:47PM
    v14 Sorc Vae Exillis
    v14 DK Costs
    v14 NB 'Vis
    v14 Temp Fiat Lux

• Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Huh?

What targetting issue? I've never hit a Dwarven Sphere that I didn't want to.
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They added target locking to the game many many many many moons ago, ie. before release. Unless you didn't know about this, I can't see the issue.
  • Snit
    Snit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anytime something troubles you in PvP, you can ask people or watch others to see how they handle the issue, or you can proceed directly to "post nerf demand." This thread fits right in :)
    Snit AD Sorc
    Ratbag AD Warden Tank
    Goblins AD Stamblade

• Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just make the spheres unable to be a target.
  • Snit
    Snit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lava_Croft wrote: »

There are times you might want to target them (their beam can be interrupted).
    Snit AD Sorc
    Ratbag AD Warden Tank
    Goblins AD Stamblade

• ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One of those guys who always Soul Assault the sphere :) ? Yaya, not as easy as one would think...
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Baphomet
    Baphomet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The soft-lock system doesn't necessarily guarantee that you'll hit the target you have locked on to. If fact, your jesus beam might target someone 80 degrees to you left even though you have your locked target right in front of you, just to give you an example.

Fact of the matter is that hit boxes mess up the targeting system and has done so since beta may 2013.

Sorc pets one can live with since no one uses them in PvP and the atronoch is acceptable too because it adds a nice tactical aspect to the sorc class - but to have the dwarven spheres popping up everywhere ever so often is downright bad design.

As someone mentioned, remove their hitboxes so that they have no collision (not sure if they do now) and thus become untargetable. That's a good solution right there.
    Edited by Baphomet on May 4, 2015 5:28PM
    - The Psijic Order
    - TKO
    - Dominant Dominion
    - The Noore
  • SRIBES
    SRIBES
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where's my LOL button?
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's a tactical defensive random proc. If you can't aim that's on you.
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • shane.roberts25b14_ESO
    I much prefer it the way it is now. This way, when the sphere procs, I can quickly eliminate it. One less heal keeping the enemy in the fight ;)
    "I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took a nerf-arrow to the knee!"
  • trimsic_ESO
    trimsic_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO, all these helm + shoulder PVE sets should have been disabled in Cyrodiil.

- Valkyn Skoria's proc is just insane, and seems to contribute to the lag.
    - Engine Guardian's regeneration proc is so high in value that it's a source of game imbalance
    - Blood Spawn's passive regeneration is just great for one piece of armor, and the 2 items set bonus is just amazing

Furthermore, if we consider the position of a player who does not like to PvE - because she or he came on ESO for the PVP part of the game only, we can honestly say that this player has either to accept the competitive disadvantage of not having such a set or to resign and farm PVE instances until the set of the right trait / right armor finally drops.

This is not fun, really not, and such sets are a source of imbalance in Cyrodiil. They should have never been allowed in Cyrodiil, seriously.

The other way round is also perfectly valid: why should the PVE players be forced to PVP in Cyrodiil in order to obtain the best DPS stuff in the game, such as Morag Tong, or Shadow Walker to name a few. Ok, a PVE player can buy this stuff because it's not bound when picked up. But still, it costs a lot of money, and such a constraint does not make sense to me.

PVE and PVP stuffs should be entirely separated, so they can have unique bonuses perfectly adapted to the PVE or PVP situation.

To me, the itemization part of the game is one the most important ESO's weakness: we have to wait for a very long time before we can get a patch with new stuff to loot or new stuff to craft, and we are forced to play a part of the game we may not like in order to finally obtain a stuff that can break the fragile balance of the game. Well...
  • klink012
    klink012
    ✭✭✭

- Engine Guardian's regeneration proc is so high in value that it's a source of game imbalance
    - Blood Spawn's passive regeneration is just great for one piece of armor, and the 2 items set bonus is just amazing

Furthermore, if we consider the position of a player who does not like to PvE - because she or he came on ESO for the PVP part of the game only, we can honestly say that this player has either to accept the competitive disadvantage of not having such a set or to resign and farm PVE instances until the set of the right trait / right armor finally drops.

This is not fun, really not, and such sets are a source of imbalance in Cyrodiil. They should have never been allowed in Cyrodiil, seriously.

The other way round is also perfectly valid: why should the PVE players be forced to PVP in Cyrodiil in order to obtain the best DPS stuff in the game, such as Morag Tong, or Shadow Walker to name a few. Ok, a PVE player can buy this stuff because it's not bound when picked up. But still, it costs a lot of money, and such a constraint does not make sense to me.

PVE and PVP stuffs should be entirely separated, so they can have unique bonuses perfectly adapted to the PVE or PVP situation.

To me, the itemization part of the game is one the most important ESO's weakness: we have to wait for a very long time before we can get a patch with new stuff to loot or new stuff to craft, and we are forced to play a part of the game we may not like in order to finally obtain a stuff that can break the fragile balance of the game. Well...

Completely agree and very well said.

To add about itemization. WHY isn't jewel craft in ??
  • akray21
    akray21
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I enjoy getting my free heal from reapers mark on them... LOL
  • gibous
    gibous
    ✭✭✭✭
    Get rid of the Maw of Infernal set as well? That's an even larger thing to hide behind.

Making conditional rules about where sets work and where they don't just seems silly. Reminds me of being a kid when during games, the untalented kids would try to invent new rules to make up for their lack of ability.
    Reddington James — Magsorc & Magplar (NA PC)
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lava_Croft wrote: »

This is what they need to do with freaking Walls and Siege. I rage hardcore when I accidentally select a wall/piece of siege and have to mash my escape and reacquire the correct target.
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Competitive disadvantage? Absurd. The sets are good but hardly put someone at an advantage over someone who doesn't use it.

In fact I can think of several examples where the use of a Dwarven sphere puts you at a *Disadvantage* when fighting a physical stamina player. If you're not sure what I'm talking about look at the Passives in the champion tree.

As far as PvE sets, the guys who dont want to PvP can buy every piece they need. Hardcore PvErs make a ton of gold that feed my Tri-pot habit.
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • SienneYviete
    SienneYviete
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ezareth wrote: »

Competitive disadvantage? Absurd. The sets are good but hardly put someone at an advantage over someone who doesn't use it.

In fact I can think of several examples where the use of a Dwarven sphere puts you at a *Disadvantage* when fighting a physical stamina player. If you're not sure what I'm talking about look at the Passives in the champion tree.

As far as PvE sets, the guys who dont want to PvP can buy every piece they need. Hardcore PvErs make a ton of gold that feed my Tri-pot habit.

I tried to give you two agrees but sadly I failed....... pretty much this /thread
    Delta
    Valheru's
  • Xeven
    Xeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh?

ZU9gWQ4j_400x400.png
  • AngersRevenge
    AngersRevenge
    ✭✭✭
    Cyrodiil is not competitive PvP. It's a zerg fest.
    A true warrior never reveals his heart. Until the axe rips it from his chest.
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately PvE players were up in arms when you could buy the PvE drops from a PvE player.. as a PvP player, I wish I could buy an engine guardian set or trade it for a Shadow Walker ring/necklace. Alas.. PvP player HAS to do PvE to get the set, whereas a PvE player can just spend coin to get the PvP items.
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Docmandu wrote: »

Unfortunately PvE players were up in arms when you could buy the PvE drops from a PvE player.. as a PvP player, I wish I could buy an engine guardian set or trade it for a Shadow Walker ring/necklace. Alas.. PvP player HAS to do PvE to get the set, whereas a PvE player can just spend coin to get the PvP items.

I will trade you one of every undaunted 2 piece and every bop item on my mule for one of everything from the PvP vendors.

Of course, I do PvP myself so it's not to necessary....
    Edited by Shunravi on May 5, 2015 4:15PM
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Vis wrote: »

They are a random proc from the Engine Guardian set. They may be annoying, but since they are from gear (which costs slots that could be used for different effects), they remain a viable build option.

Edit: it is not the only set that randomly procs pets either.

This. Tab target to make sure your attacks hit a specific enemy if you want :D.
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You should be more specific, so people can understand what you're talking about. Give some examples of the disadvantages of the Dwarven Sphere, and then compare them to the advantages of this set. Then there are three possible conclusions:
    1) there are more disadvantages than advantages
    2) it's the other round
    3) it depends on the class and role you play

What I can see is that a lot of sorcs are using this set when they run a build designed for small scale combat. There must be some advantages no? Or they are just stupid.

• Domander
    Domander
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Huh?

It happens a lot of you go melee...

I see it as a bonus to using that set though
    Edited by Domander on May 6, 2015 6:43AM
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You should be more specific, so people can understand what you're talking about. Give some examples of the disadvantages of the Dwarven Sphere, and then compare them to the advantages of this set. Then there are three possible conclusions:
    2) it's the other round

What I can see is that a lot of sorcs are using this set when they run a build designed for small scale combat. There must be some advantages no? Or they are just stupid.

Not sure if this is a sarcastic post or not, but just in case it isn't...

Stamina players have charges/leaps which they can readily use on the spheres even if the enemy is out of sight, because they spheres don't follow them until they're around 15 meters away from their master, and then just get back into that range again. You can get some freebies for simply bashing them from the champion system, as @Ezareth already spelled out. You can tab target the enemy in the first place, so targeting is a complete non-issue. The set bonus takes up two gear slots, and the one-piece bonus is health regen, not particularly useful to someone using it as a magicka build. The spheres don't allow you to sneak without being spotted with ease. The spheres also give a free ton of stamina regeneration to anyone with a two-handed weapon for killing them (which is easy to do) from the 2h passive.

Those are the disadvantages.
    Why should the PVE players be forced to PVP in Cyrodiil in order to obtain the best DPS stuff in the game, such as Morag Tong, or Shadow Walker to name a few. Ok, a PVE player can buy this stuff because it's not bound when picked up. But still, it costs a lot of money, and such a constraint does not make sense to me.

I don't know. Why should a PVP player be "forced", and I use that term loosely since you can choose whether or not you want to earn the rewards, to go do dungeon pledges, raids, the entire main story quest through the end of the second veteran faction, and PVE to level up in the first place (as PVP EXP gains are just above zero in comparison to PVE percentage-wise)? Conversely, why should a PVE player be "forced" to PVP (again used EXTREMELY loosely as it's a ridiculous word to use for it) to get the skill line passives, skill points from earning alliance ranks, etc.? Because neither of them are "forced" to do anything to do well in the gameplay type they like.

Why should it be separated? It shouldn't. You may as well make a new pair of games called Elder Scrolls PVP MMO and Elder Scrolls PVE MMO then. Most people playing the game long-term like the game, not just one small part of it, or they wouldn't be playing still ;). I wouldn't want to get nothing of use for going to do one of the major things I like, and be missing out on big rewards for doing one of the major things I don't want to do right at the moment, because of some arbitrary separation. The rewards server to make sure you are getting something worthwhile for yourself when playing the majority of the time, and to encourage people to try out more of the game. Separating them would be pointless, and actually deeply harm ESO. There isn't any spectacularly insane reward you can only get from PVP or PVE that makes some massive imbalance to warrant caring to, either.
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on May 6, 2015 6:51AM

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    2) it's the other round

Stamina players have charges/leaps which they can readily use on the spheres even if the enemy is out of sight, because they spheres don't follow them until they're around 15 meters away from their master, and then just get back into that range again. You can get some freebies for simply bashing them from the champion system, as @Ezareth already spelled out. You can tab target the enemy in the first place, so targeting is a complete non-issue. The set bonus takes up two gear slots, and the one-piece bonus is health regen, not particularly useful to someone using it as a magicka build. The spheres don't allow you to sneak without being spotted with ease. The spheres also give a free ton of stamina regeneration to anyone with a two-handed weapon for killing them (which is easy to do) from the 2h passive.

They also give free heals to nightblades when they die if they cast mark on them.
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    2) it's the other round

They also give free heals to nightblades when they die if they cast mark on them.

Let's also not forget a free 25% damage boost buff! :) Goes along nicely with my 8% Grim Focus morphs' buff, while I unload Soul Harvest on the enemy itself ;).
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on May 6, 2015 6:52AM

✭✭✭✭✭
    Tab-targeting doesn't make the game ignore cluttering hitboxes.
    - The Psijic Order
    - TKO
    - Dominant Dominion
    - The Noore
  • PeggymoeXD
    PeggymoeXD
    ✭✭✭✭
    0/10 troll
    Kitty DK

Vanguärd
    Învictus
    Sun's Death