The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Played for 4 hours today, not even one death where Fear wasn't involved

• mtwiggz
    mtwiggz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isbilen wrote: »
    This ability is absolutely ridiculous.

CC Break -> CC immunity.

You become feared, you break it, battle continues. You become feared with no stamina left, you die. Just like any other CC in the game. Only difference is fear has a four second duration (if I'm not mistaken), unlike most CCs which are shorter.

Regardless of CC duration, with the TTK so short if you run out of stamina to break a CC chances are you're dead.
  • Navaya
    Navaya
    ✭✭✭
    DKs can shut down casters and are tanky as hell, Sorcs can jump around for infinity with bolt escape and still do a lot of damage, Templars can go from 1% to 100% hp within a sec or use sun shield to take more or less no dmg at all.

All classes got their perks. I don't think fear needs a big nerf, you just need to learn how to counter it.
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative

Fear does 0 dmg ;)
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• Saft
    Saft
    ✭✭✭
    Navaya wrote: »
    DKs can shut down casters and are tanky as hell, Sorcs can jump around for infinity with bolt escape and still do a lot of damage, Templars can go from 1% to 100% hp within a sec or use sun shield to take more or less no dmg at all.

All classes got their perks. I don't think fear needs a big nerf, you just need to learn how to counter it.

I wanna see the templar that fire off a BoL (best burst heal) for 25-30k health in pvp. It takes atleast 2-3 BoL to heal up, and take with animations about 3 seconds. If debuffed healing make that 4-5 BoL

• monkeymystic
    monkeymystic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm suprised fear hasn't been nerfed yet.

Everyone knows fear is the most powerful ability in the game at the moment, and by a good margin too.

Instant cast, AoE CC that also starves stamina like hell? And pretty much spammable in PvP?

Fear is much more powerful than Talons ever was at eso launch 1 year ago, and they nerfed that to oblivion. With Fear you are unable to do *anything*, you can't heal, use ultimates, defend yourself. The only thing you can do is *try* to break free before you are dead, but lag in larger battles makes that very hard.

Fear is OP in 1vX situations, and it is extremely OP in large battles where more lag occur. It's the ability that usually choose which side wins on it's own.

Anyone saying this ability is fine has not played a lot of MMOs, and it's pretty obvious they are having too much fun spamming it themselves to want it nerfed.
    Edited by monkeymystic on May 7, 2015 10:28AM
  • Dositheus
    Dositheus
    ✭✭✭

Everyone knows fear is the most powerful ability in the game at the moment, and by a good margin too.

Instant cast, AoE CC that also starves stamina like hell? And pretty much spammable in PvP?

Fear is much more powerful than Talons ever was at eso launch 1 year ago, and they nerfed that to oblivion. With Fear you are unable to do *anything*, you can't heal, use ultimates, defend yourself. The only thing you can do is *try* to break free before you are dead, but lag in larger battles makes that very hard.

Fear is OP in 1vX situations, and it is extremely OP in large battles where more lag occur. It's the ability that usually choose which side wins on it's own.

Anyone saying this ability is fine has not played a lot of MMOs, and it's pretty obvious they are having too much fun spamming it themselves to want it nerfed.

Funny thing is, I die way more often to Fossilize than to fear. The whole break free, and immunity thing seems to work out for me pretty well. The only people who can "spam" fear are those who are magica based. Otherwise it takes most of the NB's magica pool btw.
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mtwiggz wrote: »

CC Break -> CC immunity.

You become feared, you break it, battle continues. You become feared with no stamina left, you die. Just like any other CC in the game. Only difference is fear has a four second duration (if I'm not mistaken), unlike most CCs which are shorter.

Regardless of CC duration, with the TTK so short if you run out of stamina to break a CC chances are you're dead.

Well yeah, if you're focused you always die when the stamina is low. But not always the case in other scenarios. Short duration CC's like blinks are possible to survive, even if you cant break out. At least if you're near your team mates. Reason because you dont run straight into the woods like a crazy hobo for 4 seconds without blocking.

Other CC's also break instantly when I furiously beat my break free key. This while Fear requires me to throw my keyboard at the wall or wait 1-2 seconds before it cancels. Not sure if it's the new animation causing it?

Mass Hysteria could use a longer CC immunity or a shorter duration. Or keep one morph with a long annoying duration, but make it a single target skill.
  • Imdrefan
    Imdrefan
    ✭✭✭
    I think Fear is a necessary evil, but to the people complaining about tanks in pvp, we aren't a threat people just really like trying to beat up the guy that isn't dying in two seconds. Being a tank in PvP means you have to sacrifice a lot to not get instantly drained of your stamina.

What really bothers me is being feared, dropping my block and spamming the Sh!t out of CC break having ample Stamina to CC break and just sitting there for a good two seconds while everyone gets free hits.

Edited by Imdrefan on May 7, 2015 4:17PM
    Drefan - VR14 AD Templar
    Decibel
    Dark Flare to the Face
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dositheus wrote: »

Funny thing is, I die way more often to Fossilize than to fear. The whole break free, and immunity thing seems to work out for me pretty well. The only people who can "spam" fear are those who are magica based. Otherwise it takes most of the NB's magica pool btw.
    @monkeymystic is spot on. And if you re losing most of your magicka pool as a stamina build casting fear once, you've got bigger problems with your build. My 100% stamina build on my nightblade has 12.5k magicka with fear costing a bit over 3k.

And you say "only magicka guys" as though you couldn't go for a magicka build if you wanted to....? What?
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have only two issues with fear:

1. The delayed animation and CC break must be fixed

2. I am still falling through the world

Otherwise, I am glad there exists another counter to those who think holding block all day is fun.
    v14 Sorc Vae Exillis
    v14 DK Costs
    v14 NB 'Vis
    v14 Temp Fiat Lux

• Spangla
    Spangla
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vis wrote: »

Otherwise, I am glad there exists another counter to those who think holding block all day is fun.

This^^^

Also perhaps the 3rd problem is dodge roll. The ability to avoid damage completely for the entire time in between fears is an issue. Not fear itself

• Saft
    Saft
    ✭✭✭
    Spangla wrote: »

This^^^

Also perhaps the 3rd problem is dodge roll. The ability to avoid damage completely for the entire time in between fears is an issue. Not fear itself

They need to rewart the change to fear, so one can block while feared. It ruined gameplay giving NB sutch strong CC.

• Dositheus
    Dositheus
    ✭✭✭
    Dositheus wrote: »

@monkeymystic is spot on. And if you re losing most of your magicka pool as a stamina build casting fear once, you've got bigger problems with your build. My 100% stamina build on my nightblade has 12.5k magicka with fear costing a bit over 3k.

And you say "only magicka guys" as though you couldn't go for a magicka build if you wanted to....? What?

You apparently have a different race/setup than I do. I'm all 62 into stamina, and I have 8700 or so magika on my NB. That means, 2 fears and I'm out of mojo. I COULD go magika, I was Magika for the entire time from Beta to when Craglorn came in and I quit playing. I wanted to try something new out though since I returned. Regardless, "spamming" fear is a pretty poor description when a stam nb can do it twice, (or apparently with your setup 3 to 4 times). That's not spamming. Especially if someone wants to... ohh use Cloak, or Images, or anything else magika based as well. You have to make choices. I fight other stam nb all the time, and they drop fear on me. How often do I die from it? Not very. Generally if I die after being feared, it's also when I have 3 or 4 people all shooting *** at me at the same time. I'd have died anyway.
  • Spangla
    Spangla
    ✭✭✭✭
    Saft wrote: »
    Spangla wrote: »

This^^^

They need to rewart the change to fear, so one can block while feared. It ruined gameplay giving NB sutch strong CC.

um no - They ruined game play by allowing 40k shields and perma dodge rolling.

• Francescolg
    Francescolg
    ✭✭✭✭
    Saft wrote: »
    (...) for 25-30k health in pvp. It takes atleast 2-3 BoL to heal up, and take with animations about 3 seconds. If debuffed healing make that 4-5 BoL
    The real time it takes to heal 30k might be higher and that is why Healing Ward is becoming mandatory, imo, btw many templar's will need more than just 3 seconds to heal that.

All in all, templars were also forced to go for more HP or defensive armor sets because a dead healer ain't no more heals to give :) Because of the changed circumstances of the game, many healers will only crit-heal with BoL for 8-9k or even less..
    The best healer build, which is very similar to a sorcerer glass cannon build, practically, will only work in bigger groups. There are even players which advise you not to go into pvp without a group, lol... Atm, they might be right
    Edited by Francescolg on May 8, 2015 10:37AM