Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Weapon Swap Question

CodyFurlong
CodyFurlong
✭✭
I just unlocked weapon swapping last night, but I've found an issue with it, that I'm not sue if it's a bug, or is intentional. Basically I put my clanfear, and winged twilight summons on my second action bar, but then when I switch back to my first bar, they both unsummon themselves. What is going on here?
You search and search for something, never realizing it is within and always has been. You can not find it, you can not understand it, you simply accept, and believe, and it will grow. - Heretic's Faith, Randall N. Bills
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most skills you need to have on both bars for them to remain active on weapon swap. So, you have to have your Pets slotted on both bars. Same with most skills that give Buffs.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To add to this, for any skill that is a "toggle" skill (ie. you activate it to turn it on, and then activate it again to turn it off) as opposed to being a skill that has an effect for a set period of time, you must have it on both bars if you don't want to lose it when you swap weapons.

If a skill gives you a buff for a set period of time, feel free to use it on one bar, then swap to the other bar. If it's a toggle (like your summoning skills, or like the Magelight skill from the Mages Guild skill line), then if you swap bars it will go away unless you've got it on both bars.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    And I think they have to be in the same spot on the bar (i.e. winged twilight on box 5).
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    And I think they have to be in the same spot on the bar (i.e. winged twilight on box 5).
    Really? Interesting. I always put them on the same spot because I put them in the spot where I expect them to be (if I'm playing one of my sorcerers, and I'm using a Clannfear it always goes on slot 4, and if I'm using a Winged Twilight it always goes on slot 5). I'll have to play around with putting them in different slots to test this out.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Hookgrin
    Hookgrin
    ✭✭✭
    They can be in different slots. When leveling a character, I often have a slot or two on each bar that is mostly unused so I will throw some ability on there just so that it can get some xp and level up. As a result, I often have odd skills in different locations on each bar until I unlock the ability that I really want in that location. So I have toggles and what not mixed up all the time.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hookgrin wrote: »
    They can be in different slots. When leveling a character, I often have a slot or two on each bar that is mostly unused so I will throw some ability on there just so that it can get some xp and level up. As a result, I often have odd skills in different locations on each bar until I unlock the ability that I really want in that location. So I have toggles and what not mixed up all the time.

ARgh! And I thought I was chaotic.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • CodyFurlong
    CodyFurlong
    ✭✭
    Sigh, I'm going to have to completely re do my character now! They should change it, so if you toggle an ability on, on one bar, it stays on when you switch. I was hoping to put my familiars and bound armor on the second bar, so I would have room for all my attack abillites on the first bar.
    You search and search for something, never realizing it is within and always has been. You can not find it, you can not understand it, you simply accept, and believe, and it will grow. - Heretic's Faith, Randall N. Bills
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hold on there - it's not 'abilities' that don't stay - it's just summoned bits (critters, armor).

So when my character does Thunderous Presence (the 'turn to lightning' sorc ability) I can swap to my other bar and it's still working.

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sigh, I'm going to have to completely re do my character now! They should change it, so if you toggle an ability on, on one bar, it stays on when you switch. I was hoping to put my familiars and bound armor on the second bar, so I would have room for all my attack abillites on the first bar.
    And that's exactly why they don't have it work like that. If it did, sorcerers would be way more powerful than other classes, because they have access to way more toggle abilities, so they could have all of the toggles active and still have an entire bar of other abilities to use at the same time, while other classes wouldn't be able match that.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well in a way this is a little mini-version of the fact that this game is all about making choices.

Guess now would be a good time to wander over to the "I want my [everything] account wide" discussions...
  • EramTheLiar
    EramTheLiar
    ✭✭✭✭
    The summoning thing is definitely frustrating, but it's intentionally so. You get to have an always-on power, but the sacrifice you make is that it takes up a slot for something else. This gets worse when you find a lot of different tempting toggle powers -- it would be great to have my Cleanfear out while I'm running Inner Light and Bound Aegis, but that would leave me with only two slots on each bar for actual combat-related powers, and I'll want one of those four to be Hardened Ward, so that's only THREE slots left over for actual combat powers. Oh, and Thundering Presence! I love that power. OK, two actual target-and-fire combat powers.

Uh... hm.

Yep. All about the choices. :)
  • ShadowMage
    ShadowMage
    ✭✭✭
    Hookgrin wrote: »
    Is this something that was changed recently? When I unlocked the swap a month or so ago, I just added skills randomly or as I got them to my second bar. One of those was the clannfear, and it happened to be in different slots. When I swapped weapons, it de-summoned. When I put it in the same slot, it would stay.
    PC / NA
    Thenathra - Khajiit Stormblade (Sorcerer - Dual-wield Swords/Lightning Staff)

Several alts I've created, but haven't leveled much yet:
    Norryne - Dunmer Paladin (Templar - Two-hand Hammer/One-hand Hammer & Shield)
    Demerwei - Argonian Shadowscale (Nightblade - Dual-wield Axes/Dual-wield Daggers)
    Gohrnag - Orc Elementalist (Dragon Knight - Frost Staff/Lightning Staff)
    Kerasha - Redguard Mystic (Templar - Flame Staff/Restoration Staff)
    Alawael - Bosmer Assassin (Nightblade - Bow/Two-hand Battleaxe)
    Hjerlm the Quiet - Nord Dragonguard (Dragon Knight - One-hand Sword & Shield/Two-hand Greatsword)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will have to test this. I tend to put skills on the same position just so I don't have to remember where they are on each bar. I never even thought of mixing them up on the bars.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"