The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Laundry Binding - why can't I sell formerly ill gotten gains???

istateres
istateres
✭✭✭✭
I steal X from an NPC, pay to launder it but unless it's clothing it binds to me, so I cannot sell it, trade it, or give it to a friend. WHY??

WHY??? What 'bad' would happen if this was changed?
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What specifically are you seeing this happen with? I know that if you launder motifs, recipes, ingredients, lock picks, and style materials you can sell them or give them to others just fine...
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • nastuug
    nastuug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, curious to see what you're attempting to launder/sell off.
  • Moonscythe
    Moonscythe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I accidentally laundered a chamber pot I intended to sell and just took it to the merchant in the thieves lair and sold it with no problem though I could not sell it to the fence once it was laundered. I have not tried to sell to a general outside merchant but there is no reason I couldn't. The merchant in the refuge is just a merchant (if a little shady).
    Scura di Notte - Altmer Nightblade (gear)
    Lalin del Sombra - Bosmer Sorcerer (alchemy/enchanting)
    Angevin Sarkany - Bosmer Dragonknight
    Alkemene Velothi - Dunmer Warden (Morrowind)
    Sanna yos'Phalen - Altmer Sorcerer (provisioning)
    Cosima di Mattina -Altmer Sorcerer
    Naria Andrano - Dunmer Templar
    Luca della Serata - Redguard Templar
  • milkbox
    milkbox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nastuug wrote: »
    Yeah, curious to see what you're attempting to launder/sell off.

Some of the looted items are quite clever/funny. I can see wanting to send a "Chicken Mudcrab Thing" (head of a chicken sewn onto the body of a mudcrab) to a friend, for laughs.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, the actual "stealable" items are bound. Not sure why. Could be tied to achievements. If just having a purple stolen item in your inventory gives you the achievement, even if you didn't steal it, that could be one reason.

At least we get to trade clothes though. :-)
    The Moot Councillor
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »
    Yeah, the actual "stealable" items are bound. Not sure why. Could be tied to achievements. If just having a purple stolen item in your inventory gives you the achievement, even if you didn't steal it, that could be one reason.

At least we get to trade clothes though. :-)

You get the Achievement as soon as you take it out of the container. So, it could be that the Achievement processes when the attachment would be taken from the email. But, I would think the Launder would remove the flag that triggers the achievement, or at least changes the ID of the Inventory item so this could be accounted for.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have not had an issue selling anything I've laundered, either to an normal above ground Merchant or in Guild Stores. This includes Motifs, Recipes, Crafting Mats etc.......

However I cannot 100% say this is true for some of the more 'unusual' items I have pilfered BUT why would you want to sell any of them to anyone but a fence, they are only worth what the fence offers anyway.

On I side note......

I really wish I had screenshotted the 'Silken Thong' that I looted just after 1.6 hit because I've never found another one and I'm beginning to think I imagined it!! :D

Edit:- OMG my eyes, bit of advice don't Google 'Silken Thong' whilst trying to see if anyone else had taken a screen shot!! :o
    Edited by freespirit on April 30, 2015 5:21PM
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only issue I had was not laundering properly.
    Never had a problem laundering and selling anything since.
    Edited by Rune_Relic on April 30, 2015 5:21PM
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • Victus
    Victus
    ✭✭✭
    Moonscythe wrote: »
    I accidentally laundered a chamber pot I intended to sell and just took it to the merchant in the thieves lair and sold it with no problem though I could not sell it to the fence once it was laundered. I have not tried to sell to a general outside merchant but there is no reason I couldn't. The merchant in the refuge is just a merchant (if a little shady).

The Fence only buys items flagged as Stolen. Once it is laundered, it no longer is flagged as Stolen. Merchants buy Not Stolen items.

On the other hand, who the heck would launder a chamber pot? I hope it wasn't used... lol
    Throm the First - Redguard Dragon Knight - Daggerfall Covenant
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    freespirit wrote: »
    Edit:- OMG my eyes, bit of advice don't Google 'Silken Thong' whilst trying to see if anyone else had taken a screen shot!! :o
    lol oh man, rookie mistake @freespirit, rookie mistake! :D
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Victus
    Victus
    ✭✭✭
    Some of these items makes you question the lives our characters are living if they are lifting these things.
    Throm the First - Redguard Dragon Knight - Daggerfall Covenant
  • istateres
    istateres
    ✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    What specifically are you seeing this happen with? I know that if you launder motifs, recipes, ingredients, lock picks, and style materials you can sell them or give them to others just fine...

I want to sell personal items that have been landered. Dice, toys, specif racial items, all of which have no particular purpose in the gameplay, but are useful in RP and for collectors.
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    istateres wrote: »
    UrQuan wrote: »

I want to sell personal items that have been landered. Dice, toys, specif racial items, all of which have no particular purpose in the gameplay, but are useful in RP and for collectors.

And I have just checked ingame and all the 'odd' and 'personal' items do become bound so cannot be sold or traded with other players but can be sold to merchants..........

Personally I was really disappointed I couldn't try the afore mentioned thong on :p
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • Anemonean
    Anemonean
    ✭✭✭
    I agree they should be unbound, if only for RP purposes

Personally I would love to play a shifty Kajiit "relic" huckster who goes around selling the purple justice loot trying to pass them off as gen-u-ine relics. Just like they did in the middle ages with the catholic church

lcvr6vd5cp0r.jpg
    This one swears this is REALLY Auri-El's quiver, this one would never lie to you.
    Calling all thieves, check out my Lockbox maps: http://roguesfolio.tumblr.com

Also announcing the all new Legerdemain & Thievery guide: http://roguesfolio.tumblr.com/Guide

And an all new work of fiction based on the maps: http://roguesfolio.tumblr.com/Story