Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The accurate Block cost formula

FKSevenASS
FKSevenASS
Soul Shriven
Because of the block cost calculation is always doubtful to me.
And according to the post (http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/158960/tanking-with-the-lt-champion-points-and-block-cost-reduction-for-tanking) the calculation of block consumption based on it has relatively high error with the actual test value I got.

After my constant experiments, finally find the accurate formula of the block cost calculation.
It is well known that there are only 5 known methods to reduce the block cost in the game:

1, cp point: Block Expertise
2, 5 heavy passive Bracing (20%)
3, sword & shield passive Fortress (30%)
4, jewelry enchant block wasting (v14 gold 200 each)
5, sword and shield skill defensive (8%)

Means to reduce cost of block which are described specifically are list above.
So with 6% reduce block cost I invest in champion system, I get the data of following table:

QQ%E6%88%AA%E5%9B%BE20150427222812.png

Data in the table is from test with little blue bee outside reaper's march, and it record the cost of block as well as reduction percentage of the certain type of attack that cost the least stamina.
We can esaily learn from the data and find a law that is:

No matter how mcuh percentage reduction involved (the 2 or 3 or 5), the final cost is different from number of heavy armor equiped.
and it is exact 48 for every piece of heavy armor.

(where number change from 4 to 5 doesn't count, Bracing concerned)

Although there is lack of data of influence of numbers of light or medium armor, I can assure you it's irrelevant.
Therefore, I found a very accurate block cost calculation formula with reference of the discuss post above:

Block cost
= [2160 (without reduction) - number of enchant * enchant value (200 for legendary quality)]
* [1 - Block Expertise in CP(6% for me) ]
* [1 - Bracing 20% (if any) - Fortress 30% (if any) - Abosrb Magic 8% (if any) ]
- number of equiped heavy armor * 48

Btw, the enchantment value is questionable since the 4.27 maintainance, it's found sometime the actual value of epic enchantment has no difference with legendary one.
And I'm happily welcome everyone test this formula and discuss.
Thx.

Thx for the info from some warm-hearted guys,
I made a terrible mistake about this result
I took the second passive of heavy armor into acount !
CD8VcIqUUAEGmEK.png
thats how I get 48 for each piece of armor, I'm so sry for the inconvenience brought to you guys
Edited by FKSevenASS on May 1, 2015 7:15PM
  • Kupoking
    Kupoking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cant see the table on my mobile. Im curious
  • FKSevenASS
    FKSevenASS
    Soul Shriven
    Here is the table from another link in case you can't see it:

CD1gIRwVAAALkW7.png:large

XD
    Edited by FKSevenASS on April 30, 2015 11:29AM
  • Sarevok_Anchev
    Sweet, I can stack a ton of block value and block 61% of damage with my 2h weapon!
  • TheSunAlsoRises
    TheSunAlsoRises
    ✭✭✭
    great data. thank you for this.
    No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bracing+Fortress cost exactly 1080, not 775
    Bracing+Fortress+Absorb Magic cost exactly 908, not 517

and wearing more heavy armor pieces does not reduce your blocking cost. Sorry but the chart is inaccurate
    Edited by Soris on April 30, 2015 4:36PM
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • FKSevenASS
    FKSevenASS
    Soul Shriven
    I cant see the table on my mobile. Im curious
    Sweet, I can stack a ton of block value and block 61% of damage with my 2h weapon!

its stamina cost of block, not the dmg
  • FKSevenASS
    FKSevenASS
    Soul Shriven
    Soris wrote: »

and wearing more heavy armor pieces does not reduce your blocking cost. Sorry but the chart is inaccurate

have you test more heavy armor piece?
    cuz im confident in this result, i double checked it with my friend.
    with 5 piece of armor and one-hand & shield (Bracing+Fortress), and without CP,
    the result should be 2160*0.5-5*48=840.
    I just test it again, the result for me is still 775 (with 6% in CP)
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have to retest it again but in 1.6 on PTS the bets reduction that I reached was 600 stamina. OP I don't know how you managed to achieve 283 stamina for block unless ZoS ninja changed something.
    Because I can!
  • FKSevenASS
    FKSevenASS
    Soul Shriven
    Bashev wrote: »
    I have to retest it again but in 1.6 on PTS the bets reduction that I reached was 600 stamina. OP I don't know how you managed to achieve 283 stamina for block unless ZoS ninja changed something.

sure, looking forward to your result, hope it would verify mine~ :P
  • Kupoking
    Kupoking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Soarin'
    Soarin'
    ✭✭
    Excellent piece of information, well done to the OP for going to all this effort!
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    FKSevenASS wrote: »

I did the tests and with 5% in CP max I got 647. 5,6 or 7 pieces doesn't matter. All the same.
    Because I can!
  • FKSevenASS
    FKSevenASS
    Soul Shriven

I did the tests and with 5% in CP max I got 647. 5,6 or 7 pieces doesn't matter. All the same.
    Soris wrote: »

ty so much for your info!
    I made a terrible mistake and finally realized it!
    i took the second passive of heavy armor into acount !
    CD8VcIqUUAEGmEK.png
    thats how I get 48 for each piece of armor, I'm so sry for the inconvenience brought to you guys,
    and thx again to make me realize
  • supernico
    supernico
    ✭✭✭
    Hi. What has Absorb Magica to do with blocking ? O_o
    Supernico - VR14 DragonKnight - Daggerfall Covenant - Former Emperor

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.
  • firewatch
    firewatch
    ✭✭✭

I think maybe he is including the "Constitution" heavy armor passive that includes a return of stamina when you are hit. I think that is the 48 difference he is seeing for each piece of Heavy Armor equipped. If you add that back in (48 x 7 = 336) you get 619 which is pretty close to your number.
    Edited by firewatch on May 1, 2015 7:35PM
  • FKSevenASS
    FKSevenASS
    Soul Shriven
    supernico wrote: »
    Hi. What has Absorb Magica to do with blocking ? O_o

oh, it just means the skill in one-hand & shield, whose one morph is called absorb magic, and it does have 8% block cost reduction
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I dont trust any of these calculations tbh. I have witnessed non-shield builds blocking a RIDICULOUS amount of crap thrown at them. WHILE having done CC breaks, WHILE having done dodge rolls, WHILE being magicka builds; so much that it makes the block system seem utterly broken at times.

i had an experience with this just a few nights ago in fact. she was in full LA, with a staff, and was able to block ALL of my attacks, while CC breaking and dodge rolling, and NEVER ran out of stamina.

:(

I cant figure out if my attacks just dont drain their stamina or what, but either way its extremely frustrating.
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can you add in footmens mitigation and possibly cryodils crest too.

Im thinking about making a block tank. Im woundering if reactive would be better then cryodils crest.

But footmens seems like a good set to use.
    Edited by GreenSoup2HoT on October 2, 2015 1:14PM
    PS4 NA DC