The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Templar: healing ritual and dark flare suggestion

Stinkur
Stinkur
✭✭✭
After they have completely fixed some outstanding issues...

I love my templar. Want to see it get some love though, so was thinking what I would like to help balance out the magicka build paladin wanna be. So I had a couple ideas after playing my baby sorc.

Healing Ritual the unused skill no one loads on bars because of the long long long cast time will get guildies, raid, group, pvp group killed.
What if we keep it as is but chance on using other, and must be other Restoring Light heals, it becomes insta cast? About same rate/mechanics that make Sorc Crystal Frag proc insta cast. Or maybe just one of the morph versions does this?
Though even with this change I still think cast timers could be cut by .5 seconds for each morph.

For DPS was thinking besides wanting everything but puncturing strikes and devil beam buffed by about 10% more dmg.....
What if the Solar Flare morph Dark Flare kept it's cast time but also had a chance to be insta cast?

just a couple random thoughts I had other night.
  • C0pp3rhead
    C0pp3rhead
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like the healing ritual insta-proc idea. It might actually make the skill useful. With only 4 people in groups, and lots of enemies to bash, many healers often find themselves in the middle of the fray. Other healers (like myself) actively jump into the fray. Good idea.
    "Things which are alike in nature grow to look alike, and the speaking stones have lain a long time lookin' at the sun. Some believe they descend with the lightning, but I believe they are on the ground and are projected downward by the bolt."

Fear my moustache powers.

Tastes-New-Blood - V14 Argonian Templar
    Giblets N Bits - V2 Imperial Nightblade
    Skruyue N'Alyutu - V1 Altmer Sorcerer
    Jolbie Firecrotch - L31 Nord Dragonknight

Vehemence - - Valhalla's Guard
  • earth_angel
    earth_angel
    ✭✭
    I actually like this insta-cast chance on healing ritual. But I doubt ZoS will do it because they decided to nerf templar healers in 1.6 / 2.0.
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A proc chance on a heal is a bad idea. If your mates get injured you want to be sure you heal them up instant and not hope for a proc. If it was a channel, healing for the same amout in total but ticking ever 0.5 sec it might be worth using.
    Edited by lolo_01b16_ESO on April 29, 2015 12:20PM
  • earth_angel
    earth_angel
    ✭✭
    I think what he means is that you heal normally and once in a while you get a reduced cost instant cast AOE heal. It would be more cost efficient than BoL. And you would not have to choose between HoT and Bol and that proc. Think of it as a mana saving tool.
    Edited by earth_angel on April 29, 2015 1:05PM
  • BugCollector
    BugCollector
    ✭✭✭✭
    Loving the idea for Dark Flare! @ZOS_AbigailT
    May knowledge guide you to enlightenment
  • Suntzu1414
    Dark Flare as insta cast.
    Would be a good step forward.

Kill Well
    ST
    DC - NB VR15 - Khajit - DW / S+B / Bow
    DC - NB VR 15 - Wood Elf - S+B / Resto
    DC - TP VR 15 - Brenton - Resto / Dual Wield
    DC - SC VR 12 - High Elf - Desto / Dual Wield
    EP - TP VR 5 - Nord - 2hd / 2hd
    EP - DK 20 - Imperial - S+B / Desto / Bow
  • Stinkur
    Stinkur
    ✭✭✭
    Ya I think it could generate some variety in bar setups. I like the idea that there are times you might not wait for an insta cast and you would use it (not sure either skill right now is at that point) but maybe if these couple skills proc'ed off other Templar skills they become used more frequently.
    Possibly designers might lower the heal a little or the damage a little to compensate for frequency they would be fired off. I would be ok with that within reason.
  • Zsymon
    Zsymon
    ✭✭✭✭
    In a game like ESO, cast times are a massive downside that need to be compensated with massive upsides, and Dark Flare offers no upsides whatsoever to counter the downside. No one ever uses it, even new players quickly find out how useless this skill is for any kind of content at all. When I started the game I wanted to make a sun mage, but after using Dark Flare for two hours I had to ditch it because I kept dying trying to use it, it is one of the worst abilities in the entire game.

Don't ZOS have some kind of tracker to see which abilities are used a lot and which aren't? They should have noticed after a few months from game launch that no one is using this ability, even though it is supposed to be the main Templar nuke.
    Edited by Zsymon on April 29, 2015 9:59PM
  • Stinkur
    Stinkur
    ✭✭✭
    Zsymon wrote: »
    In a game like ESO, cast times are a massive downside that need to be compensated with massive upsides, and Dark Flare offers no upsides whatsoever to counter the downside. No one ever uses it, even new players quickly find out how useless this skill is for any kind of content at all. When I started the game I wanted to make a sun mage, but after using Dark Flare for two hours I had to ditch it because I kept dying trying to use it, it is one of the worst abilities in the entire game.

Don't ZOS have some kind of tracker to see which abilities are used a lot and which aren't? They should have noticed after a few months from game launch that no one is using this ability, even though it is supposed to be the main Templar nuke.

Yes they track skills. There was a revamp of all skills not to long ago, guess Dark Flare missed their notice or maybe to many pre vets still had it on their bars. Sad really a chance to insta cast the skill could then be worked into a damage rotation.